Bricscad(Linux) GPU's

Hello Bricscad (Linux) users,

we would like to get a better view on the kind of graphic cards used to run Bricscad (Linux).

A GPU poll on Bricsys facebook has been created, to get an idea of the used cards.

This is especially useful as feedback towards Redway.
Redway is working at this moment to support more GPU families in RedSDK linux.

Greetings
Tijs

Comments

•  Sorry, but that poll apparently requires registering with Facebook.
  • I too find Facebook a problem.

Why not poll in the forum?

I wish to use Radeon HD6850 which is not supported due to a bug with all? ATI for RedSdk on Linux.

• ditto on facebook and i even have an account.  I just refuse to use their apps.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M 2GB
  •  I cannot even vote (Chromium in Ubuntu 11.10). I click vote and the page does nothing. I glanced at the code and it should redirect me or something but it doesn't. So please just make this on a different site or on this one (I mean Webs.com would be more professional than Facebook....)
  • Hello guys, sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for trying.  I don't like the facebook restriction either.  Our forum doesn't have a poll feature right now, it is a (very) nice-to-have that has not been implemented yet.

We made a facebook poll about bricscad features before, so it was a logical choice to use the same mechanism.

I'll have a look at Webs.com.
    Or maybe I will just ask to post it here.  It doesn't have to be a poll interface.

Good news by the way: Redway just told us their almost ready with a RedSDK patch for linux that should fix ATI cards that are R600 or newer.

Regards
    Tijs
  • I think the first thing to demand from Redway is to revert to software rendering if an unsupported hardware is encountered (as their website states), instead of just crashing the program...
  • I agree with Knut...if the GPU interface is broken, the whole CAD program is useless.
    I had an ATI FireGL V3400 card which didn't work for both Win and Lin...traded my Win
    license for a Lin licence and bought a Nvidia GEForce GTX560 card which works but
    there are still issues with disappearing selection sets...pick something and it becomes
    invisible..(can't work like that)...have to fall back to Acad (still)
  • I agree with Knut...if the GPU interface is broken, the whole CAD program is useless.
    I had an ATI FireGL V3400 card which didn't work for both Win and Lin...traded my Win
    license for a Lin licence and bought a Nvidia GEForce GTX560 card which works but
    there are still issues with disappearing selection sets...pick something and it becomes
    invisible..(can't work like that)...have to fall back to Acad (still)

I'm using Nvidia GEForce GTX560 cards as well and I have no issues with geometry disappearing in a selection, Are you using Nvidia drivers?
    Dan
  • Installed Version 12.1.23
    on 64-Bit Ubuntu partition
    using:
    dpkg -i --force-
    and it seems to run fine there...

AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
    4Gigs Ram
    Ubuntu 10.04(64-Bit)... Gnome 2.30.2
    NVIDIA Driver Version: 295.20
  • ditto on facebook and i even have an account.  I just refuse to use their apps.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M 2GB

I forgot driver version

•  I got a new video card last August. ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3 GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    Got it because of good reviews, silent running and nvidia chip set. Has run very well except the digital port out quit, which sort-a sucks, but I can use it with no problem from another port out. - Seems to work flawlessly with the nvidia drivers in my Mint setup and with Bricscad.
  • Well, I am not quite sure what to do - I'd prefere to run bricscad on a laptop but the only laptops on the market with big screens and no windows preinstalled are INTEL Core i5 or i7 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M or 580M. According to the comments on the bottom of this page http://www.bricsys.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=65 linux doesn't support these dual graphics systems. An internet research led me to the bumblebee project (http://bumblebee-project.org/). It seems to be working in many cases - even if it is not possible to switch the video cards automatically it should be possible to use the NVIDIA card for bricsys. Has anybody experience with that? I'm not sure yet but I may give it a try.
  • I'm running it on an Asus G74SX.

it's an I7 with the 560M and a 17.5 screen.
  • these are with the Asus (560M)

loading embedded xrefs takes a while to load, but once it's loaded the speed and rendering seem great to me.

as before i can't post work from my day job.  this is a home project.
    imageScreenshot.png
    imageScreenshot-1.png
  • @Albin

I think this means that the X-server cannot handle dual screens on these systems
    but a single display should be OK...perhaps a Bricscad technician can clarify this.
    We have Dell laptops with the i5 chips at work and many of the guys have dual
    monitors plugged in but not with Linux and Bricscad so can't test it for you.
  • I'm running dual monitors on my desktop + GTX560 without issue , I needed to set  'twinview ' to on in the config..  I'm running an I7 2600 on an ASUS motherboard that also has a video out. I think the motherboard video is automatically turned off when a card is plugged in.  Not sure about laptops though.

Cheers : )

•  NVidia Quadro FX 580
    Ububtu 10.04 (Lucid)
    Intel CPU at 64 bits

Will soon try the upcoming Ubuntu release, also at 64 bits.
  • We also do not use Facebook because of their data collection/retention policies.

We have 5 workstations running Bricscad. All of them have some version of a Nvidia graphics card purchased within the last 2 years.
    4 of the workstations run Ubuntu 10.04, 32 bit.
    1 of the workstations run Fedora 14, 32 bit

All of the machines have dual monitors.

As you may notice, no Unity or Gnome 3 for us because of the broken interfaces and problems with dual monitor support.
    Next time we upgrade the OS we plan to use Xfce.

regards,

Kurt Eichenberger

• AMD 64 Desktop
    Using Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit  Gnome 2.30.2
    GeForce 9800
    Nvidia driver 195.36.24
    BricsCAD V11.3.13 beta
    BricsCAD V12.1.23 trial
    Single display

Both versions work OK as far as I can tell.

I don't use Facebook.
  • Dual AMD 64 Desktop
    Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome 3
    GPU AMD Radeon HD 6310
    BricsCad 12 Linux
    Single Display

Dual Intel Desktop
    Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome 3
    GPU Nvidia ION
    BricsCad 12 Linux
    Single Display

Toolbars redraw is extremely slow in Linux compared to WinXP.
    Maybe a problem of Wxwidgets.org ?

Excelent app & best wishes for the new version.

ps: Please, try to add step&iges
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    on T500 laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, mostly on single screen, but dual screens works as well.
    No complaints on this one, although I have never tried heavy 3D.
  • @ Guillermo and Matthias:
    I'm not sure how to understand your posts - are you able to switch to 3dcontext without crashing the program on Radeon HD6310 / Intel 4500MHD?
  • @ Guillermo and Matthias:
    I'm not sure how to understand your posts - are you able to switch to 3dcontext without crashing the program on Radeon HD6310 / Intel 4500MHD?
    Oh, you are right, no real 3D. I did not try anything but orbiting wireframe stuff.
  • Operating system: Arch Linux
    Kernel: 3.2.8-1-ARCH
    64bit operating system
    Single screen
    CPU: AMD FX-8150
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
    Redway display modes are not working.
  • Now Operating system: Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit with same hardware. Redway rendering modes still not working.

• I'm running it on an Asus G74SX.

it's an I7 with the 560M and a 17.5 screen.

Hi Keith, I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the magic recipe that you used (perhaps in another post, linking from here) to get Nvidia Optirun + I7 working with Bricscad on your Linux laptop? I've found much consternation and little joy on this topic around the web.
  • Please add Radeon 6990 to your informal list.
    I mentioned it in support, but not on this list.
    Unable to use Bricscad for about 6 months now due to this problem of not supporting ati cards at all.

• I'm using a Clevo P170EM with an ATI HD 7970 Mobile but i have some issues...

The BricsCAD window is flickering while i'm drawing lines and so on... And it says a message stating that hardware acceletarion is not supported in my machine and i don't know why yet!!!!
  • nvidia Quadro 600
    HP Elite XT210EA#BED desktop (CPU: Intel i3-2120, RAM: 12GB)
    Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
    Tried nvidia-current, nvidia-experimantal and latest nvidia drivers from nvidia.com
    Currently using driver: 319.32
    Single display, DVI 22" Lenovo L220x@1920x1200

Display flickers, especially while dimensioning. Really bad experience, no matter what driver version I use.
    Please do something about it because it is almost impossible to work with Bricscad.
    While it is nice to heave new features, they are worthless if display speed/usability is so slow and in bad shape like it is now so that even 2D drafting is painful. Please make 2D drafting stable and fast!
  • 4x Fedora 18 Workstations with NVIDIA GT 430 cards, running proprietary drivers (currently kmod-nvidia-304xx-3.9.9-201.fc18.i686.PAE.i686).

# lspci -v  | grep VGA
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

This discussion has been closed.