V13.1.17

Has anyone tried the new upgrade to V13.1.17 yet. I downloaded it and within 10 minutes realized that it is unusable. Whenever I try to render, apply visual styles or material styles, and even print the entire system crashes. Since I actually am using this software in a working environment here, I don't have time to spend analysing all the bugs. I reinstalled the program twice to no avail so quickly reverted back to V13.1.14. I have filed a support request. Also I am running the program on Ubuntu 12.04 on a Dell Latitude 6520 with a Nvidia graphics card.

Comments

•  I also try 13.1.17 today, just 2d draft, basically it's ok. printing works.I have't try any 3d.
  • I can confirm trying to shade plot in any of the given options, the system crashes or the plot is not shaded / hidden.
  • I have not quite cracked it with both v13.1.14 or v13.1.17 yet. In both cases the program started ok but any interactivity like panning, zooming and selecting was sluggish. Still working on this one.
  • You're all doing better than I am--the long, long, long-awaited 64-bit package won't even install on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Bricsys has built against ia32-libs  instead of the individual libraries and packages inside the ia32-libs metapackage. All libraries have been converted to [package]:ia386 format now and the repos updated. Anything still built against ia32-libs fails on a fresh installation. Painful.
  • Hello,

We acknowledge there are some unexpected issues with release 13.1.17 of BricsCAD (Linux). We are working towards solving them and a new release should be published soon. We advise not to update to V13.1.17 for the moment.

Best regards,
    Alexandru Branescu.
  • I know this likely doesn't help those with supported graphics GPU's but I've found that much instability exists until I turn hardware rendering off, which is default.

It's unfortunate as my i5 sandybridge machine is xorg supported out-of-the-box, with direct rendering.  But it's not supported in bricscad and attempting to use it makes bricscad misbehave in seemingly unrelated ways.  Happily, I can live without it for the time being.
  •  Haven't upgraded to V13 yet; my personal feeling is that Brics has sort of outrun its product capabilities with its numbering system. We got V13 before V12 was ever complete. One of the arguments for Bricscad was a low cost compared to, say, Autocad. However, if you have to pay your way through a bunch of upgrade cycles in order to get a comparable product, that argument falls apart.
  •  i have to install lignutl26-32bit package and it works fine on mine openSUSE 12.2

•  I mean
    libgnutls26-32bit

• I installed the new Linux version 13.1.19 yesterday and the crashes that I experienced in V13.1.14 seem to have been fixed. I think the Bricscad Linux team deserve a big Kudos for attending to this so promptly.
  • @ S Schuller
    I already felt like that when V12 came out, so I'm still on V11...
    The numbering scheme looks indeed increasingly strange: now the linux version (13.1.19-2) seems to have outrun the windows one (13.1.18-1), but in reality, it lags way behind - I don't mean so much featurewise, but in terms of bug fixes. I never expected a 'comparable' product (I wouldn't even like that), but a professionally usable one. I think Bricsys should keep the linux version at 13.1.19 and issue bugfix releases named 13.1.19-(3-?) to have the numbering fall back again behind the windows version...
    But of course, as Peter said, the team is extremely responsive, so I'll probably upgrade anyway.
  • Hello

No, I cannot get any of the V13 version to work. They won't even start. They simply crash on start up.
    openSUSE 12.2 64bit. The same with V12.

If you ask me, this whole Bricsys Linux experiment is a joke.

Norbert

• These symptoms "After installing BricsCAD (Linux) using the rpm installer on OpenSUSE 12.1 or later, running bricscadv13 will output an error about not finding library libgnutls.so.26 and will exit. " along with cause and solution are described in our knowledge base article Bricscad (Linux) V13 on 64bit linux systems.
  •  @Norbert
    I do not get why you have problems with starting bricscad.

How you install it?

Can you put here or @ susepast.org the output of starting bricscad both v12 and v13

my way to install:
    I make directory 'rpm' or whatever you want. 
    it is better to make this under the root super user so 
    [code]
    user@linux:~> su
    Password:
    linux:/home/user # mkdir /home/rpm
    linux:/home/user # zypper ar dir:///home/rpm rpm
    Adding repository 'rpm' [done]
    Repository 'repotest' successfully added
    Enabled: Yes
    Autorefresh: No
    GPG check: Yes
    URI: dir:///home/rpm
    linux:/home/user #
    [/code]
    Then I should copy downloaded file in this directory, you can make it in any way you like, I prefer here explain how I make in terminal window. I have downloaded file in /home/[username]/Downloads
    [code]
    linux:/home/user # cp  /home/user/Downloads/BricsCAD* /home/rpm/
    [/code]
    and now I need to refresh my local repository 'rpm' and install it in ordinary suse way

[code]
    linux:/home/user # zypper ref -r rpm

linux:/home/user # zypper --no-remote in bricscadv13
    Ignoring repository 'Additional packages maintained by the KDE team (KDE_Release_49_openSUSE_12.1)' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'KDE SC 4.9 releases (openSUSE_12.1)' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'DVD Repository' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'Packman repository (openSUSE_12.1)' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'openSUSE-12.1-Debug' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'openSUSE-12.1-Update-Debug' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'openSUSE-12.1-Non-Oss' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'openSUSE-12.1-Oss' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'openSUSE-12.1-Source' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Ignoring repository 'Обновления для openSUSE 12.1 12.1-1.4' because of 'no-remote' option.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
      bricscadv13 

1 new package to install.
    Overall download size: 91.4 MiB. After the operation, additional 266.8 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y): 
    Retrieving package bricscadv13-13.1.14-1.i386 (1/1), 91.4 MiB (266.8 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving package bricscadv13-13.1.14-1.i386 (1/1), 91.4 MiB (266.8 MiB unpacked)
    Installing: bricscadv13-13.1.14-1 [done]
    [/code]

So I have installed BricsCAD on my fresh installed system openSUSE 12.1 (I'm only add packman and kde49 kde49-extra repos ) it absolutely same with 12.2 (I rolled back yesterday from 12.2 because of fglrx driver it does not work with my hybrid graphics HD4200 + HD5400 on 12.2 works only with radeon opensource driver)

in case when you have no installed some 32bit library you should install it
    you can find it on 

1-click install button

libgnutls26-32bit

• Hello

No, I cannot get any of the V13 version to work. They won't even start. They simply crash on start up.
    openSUSE 12.2 64bit. The same with V12.

If you ask me, this whole Bricsys Linux experiment is a joke.

Norbert

You probably need to install some 32-bit libraries.

BricsCAD on Linux is no joke and doesn't appear to be an experiment. I've purchased it, use it professionally and have no complaints, least of all with the support team.

For unparalleled security and reliability, linux requires a slightly deeper understanding of its workings, which some find enjoyable and satisfying.  There are, however, other, more dumbed-down platforms out there that also run [an even more advanced version of] BricsCAD that you might look into.
  • I have managed to get get all of the V13 releases running on Ubuntu on a new Lenovo W530 with Nvidia graphics.  I have noticed a few little issues, but searching through the forums has yielded a solution to most of them.  I am a new Linux user and am quite happy, I am finding myself very productive doing 2D drawings with V13.1.19, I have yet to try a 3D model, but I should dig one up and see how the software performs...
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!