/INCREMENTAL linking in VS2010

When I compile BRX add-on, I get this:

drx_entrypoint.lib(drx_module.obj) : MSIL .netmodule or module compiled with /GL found; restarting link with /LTCG; add /LTCG to the link command line to improve linker performance
1>LINK : warning LNK4044: unrecognized option '/GL'; ignored
1>LINK : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/INCREMENTAL' due to '/LTCG' specification

Thus having no chance for code changes apply during debug. How to solve this?

Regards,
Ranko

Comments

• Dear Ranko,

the drx_entrypoint.lib is compiled with /LTCG ... but does your project use /GL resp. /LTCG ?
    Have you tried to change the code while debugging ?

If the problem persists for you, we will think about to remove /GL and /LTCG from BRX modules ...
    but this will cause some performance degradation, for BRX core, unfortunately :-(

Many greetings !
    Torsten
  • Dear Torsten,

If I turn on /GL, then /INCREMENTAL is not working, so Edit&Continue is disabled and code changes can not be applied while debugging. It would be nice if you provide debug-only version of drx_entrypoint.lib compiled without optimizations. Or you have another way to enable edit&continue with this lib?

Best regards,
    Ranko
  • Dear Ranko,

it is not only drx_entrypoint.lib then - also brx13.lib uses /GL ...
    I will try here, to get Edit & Continue working for debug build, hope to keep /GL active;
    otherwise, having /GL and /LTCG disabled for all BRX modules (libraries) would significantly
    reduce BRX performance :-(

I will try, and keep you updated ...
    many greetings, Torsten
  • Dear Ranko,

it was indeed only the drx_entrypoint.lib, where /GL + /LTCG options disabled the Edit+Continue
    feature for client builds using bRX SDK - drx_entrypoint.lib is a static lib, that seems to be the cause.

For brx13.lib, /GL and /LTCG options are still active here (in my build), and Edit+Continue is still available
    for client modules (I just tested with our BRX test module, which is a normal SDK-based module).

So seems, your wish can be satisfied :-)
    I assume, next published BRX SDK will have the new libraries then.

Many thanks for your hints !
    Wish you a nice day & many greetings, Torsten
  • Dear Torsten,

Now I get this warning during linking (V13.1.18):

1>Link:
    1>     Creating library Debug\QuickeningPro.lib and object Debug\QuickeningPro.exp
    1>  Generating code
    1>  Finished generating code
    1>drx_entrypoint.lib(drx_module.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'drx_entrypoint.pdb' was not found with 'drx_entrypoint.lib(drx_module.obj)' or at 'D:\CPP projekti 2010\QuickeningProV13\quickening\Debug\drx_entrypoint.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info
    1>  quickening.vcxproj -> D:\CPP projekti 2010\QuickeningProV13\quickening\Debug\QucikeningProV13.arx

Any ideas why?

Regards,
    Ranko
  • Dear Ranko,

this is perfectly normal ... the same message we also get when we build our TestArx unit testing module
    (which is a normal ARX/BRX module), and we also get this warning when compiling for AutoCAD ARX.

The message simply says, that the linker "misses" the PDB file for dxr_entrypoint module ... in Debug build;
    in Release build, that message will not appear at all.

So in summary, nothing to worry about :-)

Wish you a nice day & many greetings,
    Torsten
  • Thanks Torsten, it was really quick :)

Now, another thing - I have encountered problems with debug compile, e.g. whatever I tried, I got debug assertion in line 24 of afxini1.cpp (or something like that). Release version of DLL loaded well and worked well, so I tried numerous things to fix it (w/o success), and then found this code on some web page:

// 'DEBUG workaround' below prevents the MFC or ATL #include-s
    // from pulling in "afx.h" that would force the debug CRT through
    // #pragma-s.
    #if defined(_DEBUG) && !defined(_FULLDEBUG_)
    #define _DEBUG_WAS_DEFINED
    #undef _DEBUG
    #pragma message ("     Compiling MFC header files in release mode.")
    #endif

After adding it to stdafx.h, my problems with asserts seems to be gone. So I put it here in case someone else encounters the same.

And another question: should I use AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetAppModuleState()); or CAcModuleResourceOverride for resource handling?

Best regards,
    Ranko
  • Dear Ranko,

indeed, all the system + MFC headers need to be compiled in Release mode (as BricsCAD installation
    is in Release mode), but I forgot to mention about :-(

Our BRX samples installed under ./API folder does also have a similar trick  - after system + MFC + BRX headers
    are included, that Debug symbol can be defined again, so *your* code is compiled in Debug mode, so you can run
    debug sessions.

AFX_MANAGE_STATE is not necessary any longer - if you use MFC, then your module should be compiled
    as MFC extension module (define _AFXDLL and _AFXEXT symbols for your project)
    -> AFX_MANAGE_STATE is intended for non-extension and regular DLLs ...

So CAcModuleResourceOverrideis much more appropriate (and even much more performant as well, state switching
    is somewhat costly operation for the MFC system).

Wish you a nice day & many greetings,
    Torsten
  • Dear Torsten,

Is there a workaround to enable edit and continue compilation for arx modules?

Regards,
    Ranko
  • Dear Ranko,

it should not be a problem at all ... our TestArx testing module and also the "Sample" BRX application
    (under ./BricsCAD V13/API/brx) also has it enabled ...
    simply switch Debug configuration to /ZI mode (Edit and Continue).

So you can compare the settings from "Sample" project with yours.

I hope that clearifies ?

Many greetings & a nice day
    Torsten
This discussion has been closed.