multileaders

What is the (best) current way in V9. to deal with multileader entitites? although is possible to move, copy, them, it's not possible to edit the mtext contents.

Comments

• Just want to add, Only way i have found is:- WBLOCK only these MULTILEADER entities to DWG R14 format- REFEDIT them as they are now blocks (not leaders anymore).- edit MTEXT as needed- reinsert them in original 2007 drawing. (hide original multileaders on their own layer if needed)but of course is not the best approach.

• It is now 2011 and still no reply to this request.  I am running 2011 trial version with a view to changing to Bricscad from Autocad but am having this same problem. However, this, and no dynamic blocks, might put me off.

• Hello Clive,

I haven't tried it myself, but I'll have to test a sample drawing from my workplace ( I don't have AutoCAD myself as it is too $$$  for my needs.)

I've only recently purchased the Platinum license to Bricscad and so far it has performed amazingly well. But I agree, the new multileaders are a nice feature in AutoCAD. Vast improvement from the old style leaders.

• This really should be fixed!!  Multileaders have been in about since AutoCAD 2008, and are in common usage. Not being able to work at all with a native dwg object leaves users with potentialy a lot of work, it could cost you hours on drawing(s) where they have been heavily used. It is quite common to find drawings where all the leaders have been created as a multileaders as a matter of course.

Attach a routine that will convert multileaders to a block using a mechanism similar to that described by Arturo. Uses the clipboard to for the conversion process instead of wblock. This is of course is more of a kludge than a fix, but at least it makes these objects somewhat editable.

Personally I am shunning all Belgian beers until this is fixed, and my Mother had to forgoe he Belgian chocolates on Mothers day this year.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

MultiLeader2Block.lsp

• A bit harsh Jason!  The monks of Rochefort are shaking in their cassocks.  But what will you have on your weeties - Tui?
  • ...Personally I am shunning all Belgian beers until this is fixed...

Blasphemy I say!

• Tui? yeah right!

We maybe small group of southern isles, but we have long ago (> two weeks in Antipodean terms) gathered an array of different types of  WOMBP (Ways of Mastering Beer Production).

http://www.moabeer.com/
    http://www.williamswarn.com/

I think we can go the distance.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Hi guys,

I recently found myself into a similar problem. I need to edit a multileader and can't! I've even tried Arturo's suggestion posted in here and still couldn't edit that mleader! I'm running out of options and I am strongly advised to return to AutoCAD  as this step is very important in our work.

I am attaching a file with that mleader please give me a hand..... I need to changed the text and cannot edit it.

mleader problem.dwg

• @ Emanuel: Try the attached Lisp.

EditMultiLeaderText.lsp

• Thanks a lot Roy. This one worked like a charm !
  • With BricsCAD V13 Mutlitleader entity name reference has changed. V12 = MLEADER, V13 = MULTILEADER.

Have updated Roy's LISP to accommodate both versions. However in V13 I find that I can change the text successfully, but on doing so the leader position is affected.

With V13 Bricsys have made changes to dimensioning objects to provide better emulation of ACAD. You can see this if you compare the extended entity data of a V12 dimension with a V13 one. However I've struck issues with editing V12 generated drawings with dimensions in layouts, also had issue with leader creation and editing in V13, which this LISP routine seems to expose. Would be curious if anyone else has this issue, would like to raise a support request. Having a consistent way of demonstrating the issue would be useful. 

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

EditMultiLeaderText-20130315.lsp

• I was playing around with EditMultiLeaderText.lsp last night myself. But even after modifying it to account for the new entity name I couldn't get it to work on the sample in the attached drawing.
    And using this code:
    (vla-put-textstring (vlax-ename->vla-object (car (entsel))) "abc")
    Does change the text but also messes up the leaders.

@ Jason: I am a little confused by your mentioning of dimensions. In most cases xdata attached to dimensions means that the dimension has overrides. The only exceptions I currently know of are radial and diametric dimensions where xdata is used for the extension line.

BTW: the attached drawing also messes up the preview in the BricsCAD 'Open Drawing' dialog box.

Multileader.dwg

•  Roy,

The example you uploaded is using an annotative multileader style. Your routine looks to be working (304 group is successfully changed), however it is being overridden by the annotative version. Attach the same drawing updated to be non annotative, your routine then works.

I checked your routine in AutoCAD and it works for either annotative, or non annotative multileaders. So I take from that there is more work required on Bricsys side to provide proper emulation. You can see from the attached screengrabs that with V13 there has been a change under the hood with leaders. V13 correctly shows the colours and curves of the leader, but doesn't consider the custom arrowheads.

On further inspection it looks like MultiLeaders are much more problematic with V13. With the attached MultiLeaderTest drawing I did the following tests (see attached Images):
    1. Open the drawing. MultiLeader displays without issue.
    2. Replaced Text using EditMultiLeaderText.lsp routine. Leader line changes, crosses text. Running _UNDO command reverts the text to original, but the Leader line remains altered.
    3. Move the MultiLeader. Leader Line changes, crosses text. In this case _UNDO does revert to original.
    So at the moment it doesn't look great. The short comings of not having multileader support cannot necessarily be over come by some simple LISP work around. Worse, by simply working on a drawing containing multileaders, you may get corrupted display of these objects.

I've been having similar issues working with normal leaders generated and edited in V13, however it seems to be more random, I haven't found a way to consistently repeat.

And Roy yes your right in terms of xdata relating to overrides. Dimensions created in paperspace referencing objects in modelspace will have overrides to resolve the correct scale. The method used in V13 has changed from V12, which you can see if you compare the xdata values. This is really a separate thing, I mentioned in reference that there are a number of changes to dimensioning in V13.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

MultiLeaderTest.dwg

imageMleaderBricsCAD-V13.png

Multileader-NonAnnotative.dwg

imageMleaderTest-ObjectsMoved.png
    imageMleaderTest-NoChangesMade.png
    imageMleaderBricsCAD-A2012.png
    imageMleaderBricsCAD-V12.png
    imageMleaderTest-TextReplaced.png
  • @ Jason: Thanks for the explanation.
    I downloaded the drawing from my previous post from another forum some years ago. Viewing it in BricsCAD V18.1 I was surprised by the level of complexity. Seeing your AutoCAD srceengrab it appears to be even more complex. I can understand the need for an entity consisting of text and multiple arrows, but it seems to me that only very few people really need this many options.
  •  I am stuck trying to rescale a drawing that used multileaders and it is turning into a pretty good battle - all that I need to do is stretch them (or grip edit) and move the arrow heads to another place but I cannot in V13.2.7...

Any word from the BricsCAD team on this one?
  • MLEADER support is a work-in-progress, so far we only support display of these entities, no editing or creation yet, though we are working on that: we would like to add full support for Mleaders and Mleader styles in V14. It is less straightforward than one could hope for, but we'll do the best we can.
  •  Ahh excellent news, thank you Hans...
  • It looks like this is still in progress, at least with regard to editing multileaders created in Autocad. I can't find any way in v14 to edit the text of a multileader.

I have no interest in creating multileaders. I never liked them. I just want to be able to work with multileaders that other people have created, preferably by converting them to leaders and mtexts. A lisp custom command called MLDR2LDR, posted at another forum, does that. It converts all the multileaders in the file to leaders and mtexts.

The only problem is that in some files it makes all the multileaders disappear. I can't figure out why. I tested one such file with Autocad and found that it didn't make them disappear; it converted them correctly. But it changed the dimscale of the leaders.
  • We have also found some problems with the Multileader text not being included in a Spell check or a Find and Replace. Seems like it would be linked to the inability to edit the multileader text. Fingers crossed there will be a fix for this soon.
This discussion has been closed.