Modelling in Linux

Bricscad 3.1.19
Has anyone had experience with a work flow such as

Create 3d model using Bricscad Tools
Generate 2d Block with hidden lines using something like Flatshot.
Create Drawing sheet, laying out your 2d drawing of the Model, with full dimensions.

Updated the Model and then recreate the 2d drawing.

I may need to revisit the Modelling features of Bricscad soon and wonder how far advanced they are ? I am wondering how practical it is to use the Bricscad tools on a Linux Machine for a real life project, or if it is still a work in progress.

Do you find dimensioning in Paper Space easier in this instance ?

I am interested in your thoughts on this issue -or is my question too general ?

Comments

• I have just revisited here and tried the software again after 6 months away, and,  although there is a big improvement in the 3d -> 2d drafting capabilities such as you describe, I could still not use it in my work environment, so I think work in progress is a fitting description. But still, kudos to the developers for sticking with the Linux crowd. I am not over impressed with the price that is being asked for it though. There is far better value software available, but unfortunately only windows apps.

• Looks like I am back on Autocad now (work) - so no new information. I hope the Linux Crowd will continue to use this forum to share their experience - but no news from me re 3d tools just yet.

For me Bricscad 13.1.19 has been very good for 2d Production Drawings. I found it to be very stable and able to emulate Autocad in most respects. It should be cheaper as it does not have all of the bells and whistles of the Windows version - but development costs money.
  • In my work flow i do not use 'flatshot', but 'sectionplane' and generate 2D blocks with 'sectionplanetoblock'. It works if you know how to avoid some bugs/lacks of functionality as described below.

Note 1: I do not recommend you to export the 2D block directly to a new dwg file, because exporting to an external file will force all geometry to layer 0 if I do remember it correctly (independent of your 'sectionplanesettings') and it has sometimes caused BricsCAD to crash.

Note 2: If you use blocks, with nested solid geometry as part of your 3D models, you must explode them prior to exporting a 2D block with 'sectionplanetoblock'. Otherwise geometry in blocks will be excluded from the 2D block.
    (You can always make sure you have a backup of your file or undo explosion of blocks after 2D export, but I still consider the fact that solids in blocks are not read by 'sectionplanetoblock' a bug and has reported it to Bricsys. Having nested blocks is essential to me as I use them for all kind of components in my building models.)

Another alternative, if you want to work more in real time, without exporting 2D blocks at all; Use 'sectionplane' to define your 2D views, put your dimensions in separate layers for each view (and in a UCS aligned to the view). In your layout viewport, set the USC to match your 2D view of preference, activate 'live section' for this view and hide unwanted dimensions with layer control.

Note 1: When you print a live section you need to have modelling mode activated and the printout will be rasterized. Printing in wireframe mode in order to get a vectorized printout will not work. (I consider this a bug or at least lack of functionality and has reported it to Bricsys)

Note 2: Do not try to export pdf files from live sections with the build in export functionality in BricsCAD, the exporter will always use wireframe mode. The same lack of functionality applies to the SVG exporter.

If you use any of the two work flows described above and encounter any bugs etc, please file a support request to Bricsys, so that these issues get corrected. Now when direct 3D modeling is available, it is a shame that exporting 2D drawings from your designs is a bit unintuitive (and buggy).

Bricsys, please fix the issues related to 'sectionplanetoblock', printing with good quality from all shademodes, exporting to PDF and SVG from all shademodes and then add a wavefront obj 3D exporter and mesh to solid object conversion... then we would have a great work flow for 3D designs with BricsCAD!

• Thanks for your post. I will come back to this and use it as a guide for solid modelling in Bricscad. It seems like we have to jump through hoops yet for a while until the wxwidgets and 64bit upgrades make it into mainline. So much to do. I hope for a better result for all of us who want a genuine "user friendly" Modeller for Linux soon. The current software reminds me of the early days in Autocad when modelling was in its infancy.
This discussion has been closed.