Bricscad(Linux) GPU's

2»

Comments

•  And is there any configuration that we can possibily change to improve performance?
  • @ Ljubomir Bozic: Regarding the flickering: have you tried switching DYNMODE off?
  • NVIDIA QUADRO K600

MOTHERBOARD:  MSI X79A-GD45 8D, intel X79, no integrated graphics card!!!
    CPU:                   Intel i7-3820 LGA 2011
    RAM:                  16GB ddr3 1600
    BRICSCAD:         v13

Works fine, but poor performance.
    Zoom in, zoom out and pan, very fast, but not when drawing or selecting objects. The cursor is not very fast over the drawing area.
    Bricacad with an older computer (Athlon xp 2400 + Geforce 6200)  works faster

• @ Ljubomir Bozic: Regarding the flickering: have you tried switching DYNMODE off?

Yes, I have DYNMODE switched off.
  • NVIDIA QUADRO K600

MOTHERBOARD:  MSI X79A-GD45 8D, intel X79, no integrated graphics card!!!
    CPU:                   Intel i7-3820 LGA 2011
    RAM:                  16GB ddr3 1600
    BRICSCAD:         v13

Works fine, but poor performance.
    Zoom in, zoom out and pan, very fast, but not when drawing or selecting objects. The cursor is not very fast over the drawing area.
    Bricacad with an older computer (Athlon xp 2400 + Geforce 6200)  works faster

Where do we change that???

I'm on Debian Wheezy 64bit ad it's almos impossible to draw the simples line.The display flickers and it's really slow...

I'm using drivers from my distro ad it's really bad.

The previous post is with the wrong quote. Sorry...

• The previous post is with the wrong quote. Sorry...

Why can't we edit posts????

And wen i start Bricscad i get the message that "Hardware accelleration is not supported!"How can i eable hardware support? Is it because my GPU is not supported?

• SOLVED: NVIDIA QUADRO K600

Have to install Nvida restricted graphics (nvidia-310) and Bricscad works fast.
    With Nouveau drives works fine, but slower.
    I can draw with both drivers, but restricted is faster.

Al instalar los controladores adicionales de Ubuntu 13.04, y usar el driver nvidia-310 realmente funciona mas rapido que con el controlador Nouveau.
    Aclaro que con el controlador Nouveau, Bricscad funciona y se puede dibujar, a pesar de no ser muy veloz.
    Ferreira: Se me ocurren 2 soluciones a tu problema, a mi antes me paso algo similar: Prueba con reinstalar Bricscad. Luego prueba con instalar los driver privativos de Nvidia.

•  Is this not fixed yet:

At the bottom of the page says this:

• It is currently not possible to install a NVIDIA or ATI driver on a laptop with dual graphics. As a result, RedSDK on linux is not supported on laptops with an INTEL Core i3, i5 or i7. This is due to a limit in the X server implementation that is not capable of handling several display adapters. This restriction is not specific to RedSDK. There is no solution possible on our side.
    • INTEL cards are not supported. Drivers for INTEL cards are normally pre-installed with the Linux distribution, but they typically don't include any 3D acceleration.
    More detailed driver recommendations for chipsets on Linux are in preparation.
  • For me this issue is not fixed yet, I am still using Windows on my optimus machine. Unfortunately most of the laptops currently sold are Core i3, i5 or i7 machines and I could not yet find any detailed description of this issue on the net. What I could find was that NVIDIA did not offer a linux driver for optimus till recently. Therefore the community developed the bumblebee project. Many applications do work with this software, Bricscad does not (see this thread). Earlier this year NVIDIA released a first version of a linux driver for optimus which is not yet easily installable (I tried it last week and did not succeed yet) but the situation will hopefully become better soon. I still wonder if this new driver solves the "limit in the X server implementation" or if this limitation is a completely different issue. In case it is a completely different issue could someone point me to any site where this problem is described more detailed, just to have an idea if someone ist working on the problem or if this issue will stay unsolved for the next 10 years.
  • Please add Radeon 6990 to your informal list.
    I mentioned it in support, but not on this list.
    Unable to use Bricscad for about 6 months now due to this problem of not supporting ati cards at all.

I'd like to report that this has changed, I now have the latest version running on a Radeon 6990 that has 3 30" monitors on it.  Running fine now.  Good dual Triple monitor support with Slackware 14 and KDE as well.

• Intel i7-4770K CPU + integrated GPU HD 4600 (overclocked)
    Z87 chipset
    ASUS Z87I-PRO mini ITX motherboard (for the Display Port port)
    8 GB RAM
    120W PSU
    Asus PQ321 4K monitor
    BricsCad 13.2.16
    Ubuntu 13.10 + Cinnamon GUI
    3.11 series kernel (currently 3.11.5 I think)

4K monitor is wonderful but takes a lot of very up to date hardware and firmware (my i7-3770K and Z77 chipset was barely able to run it)

Must run a 3.11 series kernel for the Intel drivers.

Was running 32 bit Ubuntu 13.04 with 3.11.5 kernel without issues, but update from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 caused all the menu dropdown lists in BricsCAD to disappear due to a problem with the X.org drivers (I believe).  Changing to a Cinnamon desktop environment brought them back.  Considered 12.04.3 LTS (with the 3.8 series kernel) but then you need to install the 3.11 kernel. Will probably revert to 12.04.4 LTS when it is released if it has the correct kernel.

Mouse response was a little jerky and slow but setting DYNMODE from 3 to -3 (thanks for the tip Jose) seemed to make it much smoother and zooming is also much better .

Really should be running a good discrete GPU (Titan?) with this screen but it was a challenge to see if I could get all the hardware crammed into a small case (200x220x76mm) and only a 120W PSU to drive the 31.5" screen.

• All below tested OK for V14.1.06 (beta) 64 bit english rpm on Mageia Linux
    Clean install, just urpmi the rpm.
    I am a beginner so i only made some simple 3D modeling yet

§ Laptop: Thinkpad T61 (Intel Core2 Duo), Nvidia ‎G86M [Quadro NVS 140M], Mageia 4RC

§ Stationary Intel i7 + AMD Radeon HD 6850, Mageia 3

§ Stationary Intel i7 + Nvidia GK104 [GeForce GTX 760], Mageia 3
    (same machine, upgraded video due to other reasons than Bricscad)
  • My laptop working fine:

Bricscad 14.1.17
    CPU: Core 2 Duo, dual core, 2GB RAM
    GPU: Nvidia 8600M GS, using proprietary driver 331.67
  • my vote for GPU poll:
     [GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M] (rev a2)

fedora 20
    cpu amd turion tl-60x2
    hp laptop

demo Version 14.1.17 (x64) revision 33197, however, issues with creating sheet metal geometry!
    request id 46357

• From the V14.2.14 linux release notes:

SR44143 - 3D CONTEXT: with the latest REDSDK patch, 3D modeling with hardware acceleration is now available on Intel cards. Special thanks to Florian Delizy who helped fixing the problem.

Did anyone try yet? Which Intel cards have hardware acceleration?
  • Hello Tom,

Hardware rendering on Intel has been activated by Redway, the provider of the underlying renderer used in 3D Context mode.
    Redway has stated that support on Intel cards is not necessarily full-fledged on Linux yet. They provided a patch to activating it as soon as possible as per request of Florian Delizy and other users in the past.

There are several notes we can make at this moment (based on our tests):

1. The program will crash on Intel platforms for Ubuntu versions: 12.04.0 and 12.04.1 (because of some incompatibility with older Intel driver), but it will work for 12.04.2, 12.04.3 and 12.04.4 and later. Note the last digit in each version number: it means a separate subrelease done only for LTS versions by Ubuntu in an attempt backport software updates from the newer releases. If the program crashes from you right at the start, you are probably running on one of the unsupported LTS versions mentioned above. A simple update in such case is not enough. One needs to reinstall/upgrade Ubuntu to 12.04.4 the currently downloadable subrelease.

2. We have detected a crash while trying to print and we are waiting for an answer from Redway on the problem.
    For the moment we recommend the following workflow: model with hardware rendering active (because it's faster) and switch to software rendering for printing (by modifying RenderUsingHardware preference from 1 to 0), then go back to hardware rendering. If thas is not you can keep it on sotware rendering and it should be the same as before the fix.

Hardware rendering is activated by default now (on Intel), because the engine detects it can initialize the rendering context. If one encounters problems with it just switch back to software rendering (as described above) for now.

Best regards,
    Alexandru Branescu.
  • Hi Alexandru,
    I personally don't use BricsCAD on machine with Intel graphics, I was asking just out of curiosity. It's good to hear Redway is working on 3D acceleration on open source drivers. I think this is important information for lot of people, because Intel graphics are very common today (as you can see in the poll here) and their graphics performance is getting better with every new generation released.
    Thank you for the information,

Tom
  • I can confirm viewport  3D acceleration working on notebook with Intel Graphics HD4400 - it's Haswell chip. My system is Fedora 20, 64bit.
    It crashed when trying to go to 3D visual styles in large drawing created in AutoCAD with HVAC 3D stuff. Simple 3D drawing work without problems.

Tom
  • I have an update of Intel graphics acceleration. With V15.1.21 it doesn't work on my notebook (Intel Graphics HD4400) anymore. When I try to use 3D accelerated visual styles, BricsCAD crashes.
  • BricsCAD-V15.2.10 (x64) revision 39206 beta
    GPU: nvidia quadro K2200
    CPU: i7 4790K
    Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64
    Nvidia driver version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.65
    CUDA: 6.0

• @Alexandru; Thanks for the info regarding print issues. I will test setting 'renderusinghardware' to '0' during print and 2D drafting. I can confirm this affects AMD APU series as well with proprietary catalyst driver. Hardware acceleration performance is good, but we experience occasional crashes with print as well as when closing open files after upgrading to v15 at the office.
    Can we look forward to an upgraded version of v15 when Redway have solved this issue?

/Mikael
  •  I've been less successful on my Laptop: 

Bicscad 15.3.08-1 en_US (Beta)
    HP EliteBook 8560p
    ATI Radeon HD 6400M
    Intel Core i5
    on Ubuntu/Mint

I can't get it to run, it crashes very easily, and in 3D mode even faster. I could draw a few lines or even a cube, then it fails. 
  • "A bit" old, but that's what I'm using - ATi Radeon X1600 Pro. A bit old topic too, but I still thought to post:).
  • "A bit" old, but that's what I'm using - ATi Radeon X1600 Pro. A bit old topic too, but I still thought to post:).
    And GPU poll on Facebook doesn't allow to answer by writing into "Other" box. Requires a mark into one of the check-boxes (which means answering incorrectly).
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!