Bricscad 13.2.1

Chaps how is it going with the new 13.2.1 ?

I have it installed and running - you could say - but not for long.

/var/log/messages output is
Aug  2 10:00:20 rosa kernel: [  448.156324] bricscad[20102]: segfault at d49e88e4 ip 00000000f4a4d8cf sp 00000000ea82647c error 4 in libTD_Db.so[f44e2000+f03000]
Aug  2 10:00:21 rosa [20723]: Process 20102 (bricscad) dumped core

On this system libTD is one of the bricscad libraries

locate libTD
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_AcisBuilder.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Alloc.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Br.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_BrepRenderer.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Db.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_DbRoot.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Dwf7Export.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_DynBlocks.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Ge.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Gi.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Gs.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_PDFToolkit.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Root.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_Sm.so
/opt/bricsys/bricscad/v13/libTD_SpatialIndex.so

What has been your experience ?

Comments

• Also I have crashes almost all the time

>sudo tail /var/log/messages
    2013-08-02T08:47:53.515369+03:00 linux-h4m3 kernel: [  643.857334] bricscad[2821]: segfault at 84 ip 00000000f4a538cf sp 00000000ffdd85ec error 4 in libTD_Db.so[f44e8000+f03000]

so my experience is almost the same

>uname -a
    Linux xxxxxx.site 3.7.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 31 20:21:23 UTC 2013 (97c14ba) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> cat /etc/*-release
    NAME=openSUSE
    VERSION="12.3 (Dartmouth)"
    VERSION_ID="12.3"
    PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE 12.3 (Dartmouth) (x86_64)"
    ID=opensuse
    ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:opensuse:12.3"
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64)
    VERSION = 12.3
    CODENAME = Dartmouth

•  I get the new release email so I download 13.2 64 bit and install it. The biggest bug is when it open some dwg file, it will crash, even bricacad v13.1 files. The dwg file's compatibility is a problem.
  • Hello guys,

I regret the bad experience.

Obviously we did not get these crashes on our testing systems.
    I suspect the problem is restricted to 64 bit systems (@Brian: did you also use a 64 bit system?)
    An actual 64 bit version is being prepared for V14.
    But as of now, BricsCAD (Linux) is still a 32 bit program, making it somewhat vulnerable when running on 64 bit.

We are on it, processing this with highest priority.

In the mean time, can you provide some more details, preferably in a support request (a support request makes it easier for us to keep track of the status).
    The segfault in libTD_Db is useful info already.  A back trace would be handy as well.

Kind Regards
    Tijs Vermeulen
  • I upgraded to 13.2.1 on Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit version. After re-arranging the tool bar icons, tried (from within BricsCAD) to open a few recent drawings done using BriscsCAD 13.1.19 in DWG 2010 format.  BricsCAD immediately crashed. 

Tried to open the same drawings from the file explorer.  It would load BricsCAD and then crash.  Did however get one of my 2010 DWG drawings done on BricsCAD 13.1.19 to load but half the drawing is missing. 

Did manage to open an old 2000 DWG drawing done in 2000. 

Hope that helps.
  • I upgraded to 13.2.1 and I am on Ubuntu 12.04 (32 bit). The program installed fine but when I tried to open any of my 3D models made with the Bricscad 13.1.19 the program would immediately crash similar to the issues described by others on this forum. So it would appear that the problem does occurr on 32 bit systems as well. My hardware is a Dell Latitude with a NVidia graphics card.
  • Meanwhile we could reproduce the issue.  And indeed, it happens regardless of architecture (64 or 32 bit).

It is a rather nasty issue.  It happens only in release mode, and it is timing related, which is why it could go unnoticed.
    Indeed, development mainly uses the debug version.
    Our automated testing should guard against this, but due to a recent redesign, our automated tests are currently not usable to full extent.

We continue working on this to fix it asap.

Greetings and good weekend
    Tijs

• System is 64bit.

I am preoccupied with some other issues atm. However will try to make use of a Support Ticket at first opportunity.
  • Where can I download older version (13.1)? When I try to click on "Old releases" I can download v12 and v11. This I don't want. And, of course, I upgraded to unusable version 13.2 and I cannot work now.
  • I have withdrawn the 13.2.1 version, V13.1.19 is now the public release on the website again.

In order to restore V13.1.19, you need to uninstall V13.2.1 first.
  • Hi
    I have the same problem, can not open files from the previous version. Files version 2000 can be opened, edited and saved in version 2000 not in 2004 and higher. Need a working version as soon as possible.
  • V13.2.11 has just been published, in which the segfault is fixed.  It turned out the gcc optimization option "tree-pta" corrupted compilation of one particular source file in the teigha library. This gcc optimization has been disabled for this particular file.
  • There is another crash: when I try to change drawing order of entities. I filler SR about it.  I think, that you should make permanently available for download older versions. It seems, that a new version often has some new fatal bugs, which makes it unusable. Not saying about my support request not resolved from V11 to V13, they are not fixed in this last release as well...

• Bricscad Release 13.2.11

Yes - attempting to use draw order caused a crash here too. However drawings can be opened without any problem now. Its is still early days. More testing is needed yet.
  • Hello guys,

a word about the V13.2 update for linux:

The initial intention was to have a small fixes-only update (another V13.1.x), which would not require a new beta cycle.
    Indeed, as far as I could tell, a small fixes-only update is what most of our linux users wanted.

But it was advisable to take along the teigha upgrade as well.
    It does make sense that the final V13 version can handle 2013 dwg files.
    So the update became far bigger.

As a result, the new version should have had a beta cycle, but I failed to realize since I was still thinking of a small fixes-only update.

>Its is still early days. More testing is needed yet.
    Thanks for the understanding.

For those of you who still experience a blocking issue in V13.2.11, here is a download-link for the V13.1.19 version:
    http://www.bricsys.com/open/common/download.jsp?i=3152

Kind Regards
    Tijs Vermeulen
  • 2 Tijs> Thank you for explanation. You are right about necessity of 2013 dwg files support (I don't understand, why Autodesk is unable to develop one good drawing format and use it through versions, for example Microstation had only two formats during its existence from 80s until now and it does not block development of new things). But by my opinion, only this compatibility update is necessary for Linux version, now should Bricsys team focus on making the whole thing work flawlessly. I can live with somewhat limited features (I mean, that current feature set is somewhat sufficient for me) in comparison with Windows version, but I need reliable piece of software without bugs. Not something crashing tens of times per day, unusable slow in some conditions a even unable to print or export my work (see my SRs).
  • OpenSUSE 13.3 64bit

BricsCAD-V13.2.11-1
    Does not even start.

For over a year now, I have no working BricsCAD version.
    And that's software one has paid money for.

Regards
    Norbert

• Thanks for the explanatory posts Tijs. 

It is very good to know that if there is a problem -
    a) the developers know about the problem and are working on it, and
    b) when it is fixed - what was the problem.

Running V13.2.11-1 on Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit without any problems, although only for one day so far of course.  

• How it looks with new 13.2 Linux version?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!