Seeking advice on processor for new computer build

I am considering building a new computer specifically for Bricscad use. I'm currently using an Intel Core2 Duo with 6 gigs ram, Win7 64 bit. I am running into performance degradation when I open a drawing with a couple of large X-refs.

The little research that I've done indicates that processor speed is the primary variable affecting CAD performance. Is this really true? Further, apparently most CAD programs do not support multithreading, hence the performance dependence more on clock speed than number of cores.

Based on this it would seem that I would be just as well off using an Intel i5-3570k as I would a much more expensive i7-2600k (or even the i5-4670k) - all have 4 cores and a clock speed of 3.40 Ghz, and all accept up to 32 Gb ram.

What are your experiences/suggestions? Should I build a new machine? Should I add 2 gigs ram to my existing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Which Core 2 Duo are you running (clock speed)?

How large are these xrefs?

• There are some things that are multi-threaded now and I'm sure there will be more to come.  If you plan to keep the computer for a while I would not make multi-threading a decision point. 

If you plan to use on-board graphics I recommend going with Haswell (4th generation). 

For a computer I plan to use all day every weekday I'd go i7-4XXX.
  • I have to agree with H Martin, in that the list of app.s that support multithreading is limited.

Those not supporting multithread will run slower on a 1.8GHz quad core than a 3.1GHz single core.
    I've found BricsCAD to be not overly resource hungry, and do not feel you need to over-spend.
    I spent $430 for my last box w/ i3-2120 (3.3 GHz, 2 core, 4 thread), Intel HD Graphics 2000 (dual monitor support), 4GB memory, and all the other goodies.
    I'm quite impressed with the performance and have not felt need to upgrade memory or graphics card (most of my work is 2D).

• I didn't express my thoughts as clearly as I should have.  While I have very successfully run Bricscad on Athlons, Phenoms, and Core 2 Duos I would not go with a basic computer if I was buying new.  The computer landscape changes too fast, and I've had too many cases of meeting today's needs because of a limited budget and a year later wishing I had bought better equipment because there were new software versions or new programs that I needed that could have used the extra capability.  On a three year computer the $150 or so difference between an i3 and an i& amounts to amounts to about $.25 per hour.  It does not take much of an increase in productivity to justify a cost on that level.  I'm sure I could document at least 5 minutes saved per day with the i7-3770K I have now compared to the Core 2 Duo E8400 I had before.  That's a very respectable ROI.  If all you run is Bricscad it might not make a huge difference for you, but if you also run Word or Firefox or any number of auxiliary programs the larger memory cache and the higher number of threads in an i7 can make a substantial difference in how smoothly and quickly things run.
  •  Thanks to all of you for taking time to respond. I really appreciate the input.

After taking all into consideration, Mr. Shoemaker's point of buying better equipment makes good sense. And, yes, I use Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Firefox, ArcView and a couple other specialty programs.

I believe my processor is either the E7300 (2.66 ghz) or E7400 (2.80 ghz). Xrefs are a couple of gigs each.
  • Might be worth considering setting SSD drive into a new computer + a large amount of RAM (16 or 32 GB)

But above all, You should start with the launch Task Manager and look at the RAM and CPU load when working with your drawings.

Possible, your problem is not in the processor.
    I use the old Pentium D820, but 8 GB of RAM and a fast SSD. However, I have no links of a few gigabytes. :)
This discussion has been closed.