3D Modeling with BricsCAD under Linux

I've been having some problem with BricsCAD under linux and I'd like some help on figuring out the problem.

CPU: AMD 1055T
GPU: ATI 7850
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: 24 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
GPU Driver: fglrx 2:9.010-0ubuntu3 (from ubuntu software center)

Usage:
I'm a mechanical engineering student and want to use BricsCAD as a Solidworks replacement. I work with 3D modelling robot assemblies.

Problem:
-REDSDK keeps crashing.
-when I zoom in and out, I'd have two cursor on the screen. One is stationary and the other I can move around
-Any attempts to rotate the object results in an immediate crash

Although I don't bother much with 2D CAD, I successfully loaded up some drawing files. However, my main work involves 3D and I find BricsCAD impossible to use for that at the moment. Is there something I'm doing wrong? My installation of BricsCAD seemed to have went well. Anybody else having a similar problem and have you found a solution to this?

Comments

• Forgot to mention. I have the latest version of BricsCAD (Version 13.2.11-1 English).
    To install it, I simply clicked on the deb file then Ubuntu opened it's software center where I'd just click "install."
    I'm running 64 bit version of Ubuntu 13.04 as you can tell since I have more than 4 gigs of RAM.
    I didn't modify the system much. This was after a clean install of Ubuntu.
  • "-Any attempts to rotate the object results in an immediate crash "
    Do you mean rotate or dmrotate? As far as I can tell,  direct modeling is broken in version 13.2.11.
    Maybe you should install  13.1.19
    instead and see if this does any better.
  • I can confirm that all functions under direct modeling cause immediate crash in 13.2.11
  • 13.1.19 does address all the problems that I've mentioned in my previous post. The CAD is becoming much more functional at the moment. It's still a little glitchy as I rotate things or extrude but it's all there. I've only messed around with it a little bit but now I can finally keep getting better at BricsCAD. I'll report any other problems I come across. Keep up the good work Linux devs!

I should also mention that I also went to ATI website and downloaded the latest linux beta graphic drivers. I'm not sure if that's what fixed some of the problems with BricsCAD, but it definitely helped everything else about my system.
  • I didn't noticed that I actually downgraded the version. I guess 13.2.11 was a bad apple.
    I upgraded to the newest version 13.2.12 and its a great improvement. I've made a few random objects for fun and haven't had a crash yet. I'll try to make some complicated assemblies and see how it goes. Direct modeling still feels a bit glitchy compared to other CAD softwares I've used in linux. However, I'm sure it'll improve with time.
  • "I'll try to make some complicated assemblies and see how it goes. Direct modeling still feels a bit glitchy compared to other CAD softwares I've used in linux. However, I'm sure it'll improve with time"

This would be useful. We can get some discussion going on the 3d capabilities which have been largely untried yet.

This discussion has been closed.