Bricscad has dynamic blocks?

Bricscad has dynamic blocks?.

the intention is to rotate a block, but that part of it does not rotate.[code]PASTE CODE HERE

Comments

• Antonio,

BricsCAD will allow you to manipulate Dynamic Blocks (not all though), but you cannot create them. So unless this is an existing block, or you have access to ACAD it is a bit of a dead end at the moment.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Thank you.
    I will look in AutoCAD or wait
  • Now that version 14 is out, and while it apparently added more support for editing them, I am disappointed that it still does not support creation of dynamic blocks.

I was wondering if there might be a 3rd party program that does create AutoCAD compatible Dynamic Blocks. I don't know if anything like this is even possible. And if it was, the idea of creating something that may be an unneeded program on the next release is probably not attractive to a 3rd party vendor.

-Joe Dunfee
  • Just a follow up on one of the comment I made about a company producing a program that adds a feature to BricsCAD that already exists in AutoCAD.  I.e., their work may be rendered unprofitable on the next release, if that feature is added.

If Bricsys feels that a particular feature is truly needed, perhaps they can list a specific feature, such as Dynamic Block creation, and offer prize money to the first company that produced such an add-on.  If there were issues, such as instability, and there were multiple people creating such an add-on, then perhaps a collection of users can vote on the winner.

This way,, this may be a low-cost way to get it created.  They might even develop a pool of software that they can choose to purchase from the creator if they want to use it to make it part of the actual BricsCAD program.

-Joe Dunfee

• Creating dynamic blocks involves more than just Bricsys wanting or not wanting to do it. The underlying ODA library toolkits (which is external and not created by Bricsys) still do not have the necessary APIs to create dynamic blocks, and I understand, it is significant effort to create them. Unless that is in place, no one can create dynamic blocks.

It is for the same reason that other alternative .dwg like ZW or GStar also do not have this capability.

- Rakesh Rao
    http://rakeshrao.typepad.com
  • Understand this (ODA), but Gstar from 2012 have this feature.  
  • Thank you all for your replies.

Understand this (ODA), but Gstar from 2012 have this feature.  

I don't understand what (ODA) means.  Also, I tried searching for Gstar, without success.  Is it an add-on for BricsCAD?

-Joe Dunfee
  • I finally found Gstar.  I think my prior attempt only searched for that one term.  Adding "CAD" brought it up right away.

It is a Chinese CAD program.  But, given the long standing history of China ignoring copyright laws, and their corporate spying on the US, I don't think I want to put  my intellectual property in a program owned by the Chinese government.

Of course, the U.S. government has been overstepping its bounds, in terms of spying on its citizens. But, at least most companies are still private.

-Joe Dunfee
  • I finally found Gstar.
         ZWCad 2014 (also Chinese) supports dynamic blocks.  Not a bad program (I still have a license), but I prefer and use BCad.
  • @Joe Dunfee: I mean GstarCAD, here is possible edit and create dynamics block. But I like BricsCAD, because it's faster, LISP works great, volume of 3rd party apps is huge, and it's BricsCAD and I'm loyal to LT-Extender and Torsten Moses. :)))

...but isn't support for edit dynamics blocks :(
  • I think there is always going to be some gap between features in competing CAD applications, no matter which we compare. I do agree that BricsCAD still has some work to do on dynamic blocks (not sure about creation, tho), mtext, and a couple of other items but overall my experience has been very, very good.

We're a mixed CAD shop with BricsCAD and  a couple of AutoDesk verticals. I couldn't imagine starting to investigate or implement a 3rd and 4th CAD application into our processes.

fyi, Autodesk is a Chineese company now, or at least a huge amount of Autodesk's development takes place in China these days.
  • I have been checking out GstarCAD version 8.  In particular I am looking at Dynamic Block creation.  I am not experienced enough with Dynamic Blocks to say I thoroughally tested every aspect, but in general, I can say it does supports this feature.

I have also been attempting to also see if it supports geometric constraints for regular geometry in a drawing. It seems to have some aspects of this in the user manual, but I cannot find how to get the proper toolbar to show up.  The items I can read about constraints in the user manual are not very complete.  I.e. it might describe a feature, but not say how to initiate it.  Also, when I use certain search terms in the manual, most of the subject titles are shown in Chinese, even if the body of the subject is in good English.  But, it makes the search feature useless sometimes.  In regards to BricsCAD's manual, it is not unusual for me to go to the Autodesk website's on-line manual for AutoCAD because some feature in BricsCAD is not well documented. But, in general, BricsCAD manual is much better for us English speakers.

Since the standard license is only $426, and they offer a competing cad for $314, it may be worth it only for the Dynamic Block creation and editing feature.  I know of no plug-in for BricsCAD that can offer this feature.

-Joe
  • I may have been too fast to say I have a solution.

In GstarCAD I created some dynamic blocks, and saved them in Acad v2010 format, to make sure they were compatible with my BricsCAD v11.  In can insert the blocks, but they are not dynamic.  I tried using the Dynamic Blocks in both BricsCAD v11 and v14, with the same results. There is nothing about them that seems different than ordinary blocks. They come in at their default size, but I cannot use the stretch actions I had created for them.

I should add that I have never used a dynamic block in BricsCAD, so I don't know what behavior to expect.  Should I be able to use a dynamic block that was created in another program. And by use, I mean use its dynamic features.

-Joe
  • @Joe Dunfee: If you mean this, you can use Dynamic blocks in BricsCAD, but BricsCAD not support grips direct in drawing, but, must change value in Properties panel (CTRL+1).  There is value for all DB properties. ...but especially in latest version of v13, time to time, some DB not work, sometimes looks like regular block, without DB features, sometimes, can set DB values, but DB in drawing make no action. IMHO both bugs happend in DWG, whic was make in older BricsCAD version (12 and later). If I insert DB into fresh new DWG, all works.
    imageSnímka obrazovky 2013-11-23 o 19.18.06.png
    imageSnímka obrazovky 2013-11-23 o 19.17.43.png
  •  Thank you 
    I´ll make my own "augmented blocks"    
    I'll do it programming them myself on my needs

Thank you all

• Juraj, your pictures do not display, and Bricssys' web site give an error.  But, thank you for the detail about how BricsCAD used dblocks.  Product literature normally does not say what a program cannot do, so we need to rely on fellow users.

Migues, how do you program your "augmented blocks".  Are you actually creating dynamic blocks? Or rather, a custom program that draws the objects you want?

-Joe
  • Can anyone advise if one is supposed to be able to Refedit dynamic blocks in V14?

I often find them in files I receive containing building backgrounds to use for HVAC drawings.

Dozens of blocks with long names all look the same, they don't appear to have used the individually editable feature anyway.

I usually just want to reduce their internal detail before exploding and purging them all. They are a pain.

• There are still so many problems (bugs) with manipulating dynamic blocks in BricsCAD. I've been trying to avoid them altogether but it's getting much more difficult each day. Many of our clients and consultants are using them in AutoCAD. We cannot manipulate them in BricsCAD. Flip and Move Parameters in blocks with attributes are a nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.