V14.1.11 Layer manager : filter group add new layer stores the layer not in the filter group

Well title says all.

In the layer manager, a group filter is created.
I select this group, I select New layer and this layer should be vidible within the group but no, it's created under all layers.

And also: moving a layer to the group? 
Richt mouse click: no add to group function.
Dragging the layer to the group: not working.

Comments

• Stefaan it seems you have misunderstood the layer filter concept. The grouping is based on the selection criteria of the filters and not on other user actions such as dragging and dropping layers. If you create a new filter the top part of the dialog is used for the selection criteria. The bottom part shows the layers that pass the criteria. Once a filter has been created it can be applied to the layers dialog.

• new layer added should be visible when ANY of the group filter selected - as in autocad...
    I see no point in switching the filters just to create a new layer.
  • Perhaps the key word here is "group". In AutoCAD There are two kinds of layer filters:
    • Layer property filter. Lists the layers that have portions of their names or properties in common. For example, you can define a property filter that lists all layers that include the letters mech and are set to the color red. Layer property filters can include nested layer property filters.
    • Layer group filter. Lists the layers that you assign to the group, regardless of their names or properties. You can add layers to a layer group filter by dragging them from the layer list onto the group filter. Layer group filters can include both nested layer property filters and layer group filters.
    I believe BricsCAD only supports layer property filters.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts
  • That's true. Anyway, I think layer property filter in BricsCAD should't limit you while creating new layers.

• Thanks Jason. It seems I have misunderstood Stefaan's problem. I didn't know about Layer group filters.
  •  Under autocad, within the layer manager : if a group filter is selected so You see all layers of that group.
    Then create a new layer, the new layer is created  and vidible under the group.

Is see no way to add a layer in the group, also moving a layer from the list all layers to a filtered group does not work.

Quote: You can add layers to a layer group filter by dragging them from the layer list onto the group filter. Layer group filters can include both nested layer property filters and layer group filters.

Well Jason, on my old XP 32 bit computer , if I select the layer from the list and drag the layer to the group filter, then nothing happens.
    The selected layer is not stored in the group filter.

Roy: could it be that, if the drawing is created with autocad or any other cad application that bricscad  can not deal with it anymore?

Quote :
    The grouping is based on the selection criteria of the filters and not on other user actions such as dragging and dropping layers. If you create a new filter the top part of the dialog is used for the selection criteria. The bottom part shows the layers that pass the criteria. Once a filter has been created it can be applied to the layers dialog. 

So with every new layer, we must add a new group filter? not very flexible.

• Stefaan, I didn't know about Layer group filters and do not have an AutoCAD license for comparative testing. If what Jason says is correct you cannot create layer group filters in BricsCAD. So a new layer either matches an existing layer property filter or not. If the last applies it may be possible to change the filter criteria so that the new layer is not filtered out.
  • @ Stefaan: You should send in an SR.
  • Is is actually not that hard to use a layer property filter to also group 'additional' layers. All you have to do is add a name filter for each additional layer. See image.
    imageLayerPropFilter.png
  • To All
    Please read the reply #4 by Jason Bourhill.
    BricsCAD currently only supports Layer Property filters and their behavior is exactly the same as in AutoCAD: it is not possible to add layers to such filter using drag-and-drop and when you create a new layer while such filter is active the new layer will not show as long as the filter is active. The only difference is that AutoCAD displays a warning after the layer is created, while BricsCAD displays the warning beforehand and lets you choose to create the layer anyway.
  •  Just tested under autocad2014

Started from scratch.

Created a group filter and assigned 3 yares to that group.

Exit layer manager.

Oh, I forgot a layer so again to the layer manager and I select the group first then rightclick on the white background of the grouped layers and rightclick 'new layer'
    and this new layer is shown in blue (meaning editable) withinb the group.

Brisccad creates the new layer under all layers.
    So don't tell me that bricscad works as autocad, sure not if related to new layers and group filters.

• Stefaan, I think you have misread the contribution by Louis.
    But all in all this seems a minor issue. Apart from the creation of layers, something that you do only rarely (especially if you use a good template), the workaround proposed in message #10 works well enough.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!