Extruding a face of a 3D cube makes a second object.

Hello, 

when I extrude a circle from a face of a 3D cube I get 2 separate objects which I then have to combine using 3D constraints. Why do I get 2 objects? Shouldnt there only be 1? How can I achieve this? 

Comments

• Hello, 

when I extrude a circle from a face of a 3D cube I get 2 separate objects which I then have to combine using 3D constraints. Why do I get 2 objects? Shouldnt there only be 1? How can I achieve this? 

They are separate objects, of course, as they are created so. Just because one face of each share the same plane doesn't mean they are one.

To join them, first make sure both are 3D solids and then use the UNION (or something similar) command.

If the extrude circle is not a solid (too lazy to test now :-)), you can turn it into a REGION and then extrude, I think. One of these will work.
  • @ziga
    What you have in mind is existing functionality - you just have to use the appropriate commands: (DM)EXTRUDE creates solids out of 2-d geometry, while DMPUSHPULL adds or subtracts extrusions to/from a base solid.
    So just turn on dynamic UCS, draw a circle on a face of your cube, and pushpull it to add a cylindric extension or hole.
  • @ziga
    What you have in mind is existing functionality - you just have to use the appropriate commands: (DM)EXTRUDE creates solids out of 2-d geometry, while DMPUSHPULL adds or subtracts extrusions to/from a base solid.
    So just turn on dynamic UCS, draw a circle on a face of your cube, and pushpull it to add a cylindric extension or hole.

OH thank you... You were all very usefull.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!