Ubuntu update breaks BricsCAD licensing

Dear linux users,A recent Ubuntu update pulled in a new version of libssl.This happens to break BricsCAD's licensing. As a result BricsCAD (V14 or V15) can no longer be launched and displays licensing errors: "No valid license for this product was found on your computer. (Error code -1)" or "Cannot get rehostable hostid. (Error code -149)".As a temporary workaround, please downgrade libssl.

• install and run Synaptic Package Manager (sudo apt-get install synaptic)
  • search for package: libssl1.0.0
  • select the package and go to menu Package -> Force version
  • select package version: 1.0.1f-1ubuntu2 (trusty)
  • press Force Version, then Apply
  • Synaptic now marks the package as to-be-upgraded. Select the package again and go to menu: Package -> Unmark. Then close Synaptic.

The package libssl1.0.0 contains a few libraries. It is the library libcrypto.so.1.0.0 that brings the problem. If you copy libcrypto.so.1.0.0 into the bricscad installation folder, it should keep working, even if you upgrade the libssl1.0.0 package later on.
We are further investigating this in cooperation with Reprise, the firm we acquire our licensing system from.
I regret the inconvenienceKind RegardsTijs Vermeulen

Comments

• Thanks for the update and the detailed outline of the workaround.  It explains my extreme frustration yesterday and today.

Is it possible in the future to get notice of this kind of problem that renders the program completely unusable, even if it's not yet resolved so I know not to keep hunting for the issue?
    For my main production software package to be unavailable to me for days essentially shuts down my business. 
    I normally prefer to select my own holidays, rather than my computer software doing it for me. Especially if I have deadlines pending.

• I have now implemented the downgrade of libssl1.0.0 and verified the licensing works that way.
    I then tried to copy the libcrypto.so.1.0.0 to the bricscad installation folder and am now locked up again.
    I could use a little clarification of exactly which folder IS the bricscad installation folder, and verify exactly where exactly I should be copying the libcrypto file from.

Regards,
    Brad
  • Hello Bradley,

After the manual downgrade and before updating again, copy the following lib files:
    libssl.so.1.0.0
    libcrypto.so.1.0.0

(32 bit) /lib/i386-linux-gnu/
    (64 bit) /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

to the same folder the 'bricscad' executable is installed in, usually:
    /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v14/
    (make sure to use administrative rights, since this location is system-wide)

Of course, depending on the version you are using you need to specify the v1x folder name accordingly.
    If all is ok, you can update the package back to the newest version. Check that BricsCAD runs correctly now. If not, perhaps the downgrade has not succeeded in the first place. Try to repeat the downgrade procedure.
  • With the right locations, it works like a charm.

Thanks.
    Brad
  • It dos'nt work for me
    Ubuntu, BricsCad 14..

I've copy those 2 files to the folder..

Adam

• sorry ! works ! Thank You !
  • I tried all the steps noted below, however it does not seem to work in my case.
  • Worked through the steps especially as indicated in #1 and #3 and V15.1.13 (beta) is back up and running with all icons in place - despite having been uninstalled and reinstalled. 

Thank you very much for the workaround.
  • I have tried everything suggested as the temporary fix and have had no success in getting Bricscad up and running. My suspicion is that there is some kind of conflict with Skype because every time I try to downgrade libssl I get messages that Skype must be removed as well.

However, I am not a programmer or a hacker. What I need is a functioning CAD program. So my question is, when will the official patch be ready? My only other alternative is to wipe my system, re-install from disk and make sure not to install any Ubuntu upgrades. If the official patch is far off in the future then I must re-install the system. Please advise.....
  • Hi Sir, i try to follow the synaptic thing but this is the result:

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies
    E: Unable to lock the download directory

Kindly help me its really frustrating not to use your own license key.

thanks,,,
  • Hello,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. The underlying cause of the issue was quite difficult to spot. But by now we have found it and produced a fix.
    Expect a release early next week.

We strongly advice not to use the downgrade procedure if it leads to conflicts with other packages.
    Here's an alternative to the downgrade workaround, until we release the fix.
    Note: steps valid for Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. Please adjust for other systems.

# create a download directory
    cd ~/Downloads
    mkdir libssl
    cd libssl

# download the "old version" deb package and extract; replace 1.0.1f-1ubuntu2 version with whatever you have on your system (see in Synaptic)
    apt-get download libssl1.0.0=1.0.1f-1ubuntu2
    dpkg-deb --extract libssl1.0.0_1.0.1f-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb ./
    cd lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

# copy the libssl and libcrypto files to BricsCAD install directory
    sudo cp lib*.so.* /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v14/

# remove the temporary directory
    cd ~/Downloads
    rm -rf libssl

Best regards,
    Alexandru Branescu.
  • After this steps, now another error is appearing.

Error -149

Somebody know something about that?
    imageScreenshot from 2015-01-17 14:47:25.png
  • After this steps, now another error is appearing.

Error -149

That should be the error you would normally get after upgrading to the new version of libssl.
    I've just tried the steps in post #13 and they are working properly. Again, that is on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.
    You need to adjust for other versions.

For example, on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit, the correct package version is:
    1.0.1-4ubuntu3

and the lib directory to 'cd' into after extraction:
    cd lib/i386-linux-gnu/

You also need to verify that the library files (libcrypto.so.1.0.0  libssl.so.1.0.0) have been copied to the bricscad install directory.
    Anyway, if it doesn't work I recommend waiting for the release with the fix.

Best regards,
    Alexandru Branescu.
  • Note 1) To paste p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

libssl.so.1.0.0
    libcrypto.so.1.0.0

to the same folder the 'bricscad' executable is installed in, usually:
    /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v14/

you need admin rights.  Easy way to do that is:

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }code.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans Fallback",monospace; }

press Alt+F2 to open the 'Run Application' box
    type gksudo nautilus in to the text box and press 'Enter'.

This will prompt a password dialog box. Enter your sudo password and it will open nautilus with root privilege. From there you can move/copy files without any permission error.

Note 2) When downgrading within Synaptic, it asks if it can remove other files if you have Skype installed.  From memory they are: Skype, Skype-bin:i386 and libssl.so.i386

I let Synaptic to delete them and once BricsCAD was running, updated using software updater and reinstalled Skype.  Checked in Synaptic and the deleted files reappeared.

• I had this issue on two machines with 14.04 as well and solved it using the recipe from #13

On another machine updated to 14.10 some time ago I experienced no problems with this version of libssl1.0.0
    [code]$ LANG=C apt-cache policy libssl1.0.0:

libssl1.0.0:
      Installed: 1.0.1f-1ubuntu9
      Candidate: 1.0.1f-1ubuntu9.1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
      Version table:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
         1.0.1f-1ubuntu9.1 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic-updates/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                                                                                                               
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic-security/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                                                                                                              
     *** 1.0.1f-1ubuntu9 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                                                                                                                       
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    [/code]

• That should be the error you would normally get after upgrading to the new version of libssl.
    I've just tried the steps in post #13 and they are working properly. Again, that is on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.
    You need to adjust for other versions.

For example, on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit, the correct package version is:
    1.0.1-4ubuntu3

and the lib directory to 'cd' into after extraction:
    cd lib/i386-linux-gnu/

You also need to verify that the library files (libcrypto.so.1.0.0  libssl.so.1.0.0) have been copied to the bricscad install directory.
    Anyway, if it doesn't work I recommend waiting for the release with the fix.

Best regards,
    Alexandru Branescu.

i did exactly you described in post #13, and after that the "error -149" ocurred.

Is there a beta version of V15 for Linux?
  • Post #13 worked for me with V15, just replace "Downloads" to "Descargas" for spanish Linux
    Thankyou
  • Post #1 instructions work for Debian 7 as well. Downgrade is to 1.0.1e-2+deb7u13
    I'm not sure what other implications there are for Debian. My version of Skype was
    not included in the deletion list and does appear to work correctly.

• BricsCAD (Linux) V14.2.20 has just been published, containing a fix for this issue.
  •  @TiJs Vermeulen

Hi Sir I already download the new  BricsCAD (Linux) V14.2.20-1 but the same goes for me.

Error-149

Hope you help again. .
    Thanks..
    imageScreenshot from 2015-01-21 15:19:21.png
  • Hello Lorenz,

Judging from your screenshot you seem to experience a different issue.
    With the ssl issue, BricsCAD could not even be started.  But your screenshot contains a running BricsCAD, with an activation dialog that seems to be started from the Help menu.

Can you try manual activation?  On some linux systems, manual activation is required.

If that does not help, please enter a support request.

Regards
    Tijs
  • By hopping back to V14.2.19, then trying V14.2.20 again I managed to run into the same error code "-149".

The trial license works, but entering a license yields error "-149".
    The attempts to enter a license code in V14.2.19 with the new ssl made the stored license files corrupt beyond recovery.
    It can be unblocked by removing all old license files: delete /var/tmp/Bricsys, delete /var/tmp/bricsys and empty /var/bricsys.
    (You may not find /var/tmp/Bricsys, it was accidentally used in early V14 versions.)
    You can do so with this terminal command:
    [code]rm -r /var/tmp/Bricsys /var/tmp/bricsys /var/bricsys/*[/code]

I had not noticed this before, since I had already erased my license files while working on the problem.

Then start BricsCAD and re-enter your license.
    This issue may have blocked one of your seats.  In that case revoke an activation on our website.  Enter a support request if you reached your revoke limit.
  • Hi TiJs

"This issue may have blocked one of your seats.  In that case revoke an activation on our website.  E
    nter a support request if you reached your revoke limit."

in this case if i reach the revoke limit? like on me have single account, theres a possible to RESET the license? or account .?? so the active bricscad will deactivated.>?

•  #13 works, but I don have the required deb in my repositories, if you can't findit download it form:

And follow steps of #13, Thanks!

• I ran into this problem today. After upgrading the system, my BricsCAD V14 license was no longer working. I installed V14.2.20 which contains a fix for the openssl problem.

After installing V14.2.20, it still complained about the license and wouldn't start. I removed /var/tmp/Bricsys, /var/tmp/bricsys, and cleaned out /var/bricsys as Tijs says in message #24.

I was hopeful that would fix it, but when I entered my license key, it said "Activation key already used. (Error code -1005)."

At this point I went on the website, as Tijs says in #24, to revoke my previous activation, so that I can complete a new activation. Unfortunately, I was unable to revoke my old activation on the website due to a MySQL error on the website. "A MySQL error occurred while deleting your activation."

I sent in a support request to get help with revoking the old activation, and that's where I am now.
  • I sent in a support request to get help with revoking the old activation, and that's where I am now.

Tijs himself helped me revoke my old activation. Once that was done I was able to re-activate my V14 license with no problem. That solves the problem. Note that I did not need to downgrade any openssl libraries to make this work.
This discussion has been closed.