vle-startapp

Hi all,
I use vle-startapp to run external program but in V15 it seems quite slow than V14 ...
Anyone notice that ??

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Dear Paul,

what is slower now ? Starting the external program ?
    (vle-startapp) has not changed at all ... you might try to start "notepad.exe", as that is lightweight.

Maybe starting the external tool itself is slow / slower ?
    Many greetings !
  • Hi Torsten,
    with notepad.exe the time is almost the same (less than one second) except for the screen that blink twice ...
    Maybe something else change ...
    My application start immediately on V14 but takes two or three seconds on V15 (same OS Win7 x64 same pc) ...

Thanks
    Paul
  • Dear Paul,

so for starting Notepad.exe there is no significant differnece between V14 + V15 ?
    But for your application it is ?

You might add a support request, and provide your application + some instructions there, how to use, how to reproduce.
    Then we could have a look what causes the performance difference ...
    Many greetings !
  • I'm trying to run notepad with vle-startapp (or dos_execute) but it doesn't seem to work anymore (it worked in previous v14 version). Allthough it might have to do with 32/64 bit versions...

I use "TED notepad" and want to open a txt file and go to a specific line number with :

(if (vl-string-search "Bricscad" (getvar "acadver"))
        (dos_execute ;;BCAD
          (strcat #path# "notepad.exe /l" $cnt " " $file)
        )
        (startapp ;;ACAD
        )
    )

What am i'm doing wrong ?

ty !
  • Dear Dirk,

just a hint upfront :
    to check for BricsCAD, using (= (strcase (getvar "program")) "BRICSCAD") is the safe way, than relying on "acadver" variable.

I checked locally, using (vle-startapp), and this works fine for me, no differences to V14
    (also, VLE code has not changed at all here, since V14) ...

So what is #path# in your example ?
    Have you checked the string constructed by

What error does happen ?

Many greetings !
  • thx Torsten

I just get the message "execution of command failed" and error 0

It works when i remove the $file (a file that exists in a read and writable folder). Then it just opens notepad, but that's not what i need.
    It has always worked fine as from v10 (when i used dos-execute).

Maybe TED notepad has a problem with the command line functions in 64 bit enviroment...
  • Dear Dirk,

yes, that's why I mentioned :
    - get the full command line as created by the Lisp code (like a (print) statement)
    - use the same (exactly the same) command line in the "run" field of start menu, or from a DOS box (terminal) ...
    what happens then ?

Personally, I use NotePad2 - pefect replacement for "notepad.exe", it even replaced the original one
    (very nice editor for simple editing)

Many greetings !

• just a hint upfront :
    to check for BricsCAD, using (= (strcase (getvar "program")) "BRICSCAD") is the safe way, than relying on "acadver" variable.

Hi Torsten, This would be a handy addition to your visual lisp emulations. "vle-isBricsCAD?" and have it return the Version number eg 19.1 (or nil). 
  • Dear Dan,

indeed, nice point :-)
    I will likely add this next to Lisp core and vle-extension.lsp ...
    and likely, vle-isAutoCAD as well ... so even non-BricsCAD / non-AutoCAD can clearly be identified.
    many thanks & many greetings !
This discussion has been closed.