Topic for all Bugs and Issues.

Hi all. I've been slowly converting my Alibre/Geomagic (Windows only crud) to BrisCAD. It hasn't been smooth sailing, and I'm refusing to run windows any longer so I have no choice.
BricsCAD has been an excellent program so far, similar in some ways to Geomagic Design, but some areas are definite improvements too.

So... I'd like to start a topic for for bugs/issues found
Kernel Version:
Graphics Driver:
Desktop Env:
Distro:
CPU:
RAM:
 Any other helpful stuff?

For me::
Kernel Version: 3.19
Graphics Driver: Nvidia 346.35
Desktop Env: KDE Plasma 5
Distro: Netrunner Rolling Release
CPU Intel i7 3.4ghz
RAM 16gb

Issues:
Having multiple parts open, I am unable to scroll the window list to choose parts to work on. After a limit of perhaps 3-4 files, I get a force-close or something which crashes the whole program.

I am also unable to drag materials on to parts. Unsure if changing the material on a part in an assembly is supposed to update that part file.. It's not doing it for me at least.
Changing the rendering style for a complete assembly doesn't appear to change it for parts that have their own render style? Is that how it's supposed to work?

Mouse problems. It seems everyone on the forum has a problem with it. For me I get an occasional double up. Entity selection is sometimes a bit skittery too.
To select the quad, I found I had to *jerk* the mouse quickly, which then seems to leave a double-up behind with the quad attached.

Suggestions:
Need a "Save All" button, this would be a life saver due to the bugs.

Comments

• Hi Luke,

I see your other post http://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/25655 very nice. Also nice to see use of mechanical assembly.

For issues relating to bugs, I recommend that you raise a support request for each. I know that you have already done this for some of your issues. Be aware priority support is reserved for users on subscription, response times will be slower for other users, but I'm sure that you will get a response in due course.

In regards to applying render materials. I think that dragging and dropping materials will only currently work if you are applying it directly to a 3D Solid. Specifically the material actually gets applied to the faces of the 3D solid. When you are using assembly modelling you are essentially working with blocks. To apply a render material by drag and drop, you would need to first edit the part, and set its material properties to "ByBlock". Alternatively you would open each part from the mechanical browser, Then you can drag and drop to apply your render materials. Note that you can select individual faces, then from the property bar set apply a render material. I agree with your comment, that a top down option for setting materials would be useful.

In regards to _SAVEALL. This exists as a command, you could always create your own quick key to access. You might like to also look at _WORKSETS, which offers a similar function.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

• Hi,
    my biggest problems with BricsCAD are:
    1] well known cursor bad behavior
    2] keyboard loosing focus - this happens to me quite often when in middle of command (unable to type the distance or even end the command with Esc key) or even when starting commands from command line. The only way to solve this is click with mouse - then keyboard works again, but it usually means I have to repeat the command. I didn't file a bug yet, because I didn't find any concrete reason that triigers this bug. Did anyone notice this behaviuor too?

I don't find quad too useful I much more prefer to use keyboard. I have it turned off. I also turn promptmenu off.

TOm
  • I am using Bricscad only few days...
    =================
    Kernel Version: 3.16.0-34
    Graphics Driver: Nvidia 331.113 (GeForce 8400M GS)
    Desktop Env: Unity (default)
    Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 (amd64)
    CPU: Core2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz × 2
    RAM: 4gb
    BricsCAD 15 is very slow on zoom in/out and pan on some files. Draftsight for linux (not 2015), nanocad 5 in virtualbox (host - the same ubuntu 14.04) are very fast.
    ==================
    Kernel Version: 3.16.0-34
    Graphics Driver: Nvidia 331.113 (GeForce GT630)
    Desktop Env: Unity (default)
    Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 (amd64)
    CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz х 2
    RAM: 4gb
    BricsCAD 14 is very slow on zoom in/out and pan on some files. Draftsight for linux (not 2015), nanocad 5 in virtualbox (host - the same ubuntu 14.04) are very fast.
    =================

I've attached a specific part of a drawing.

VERY slow.dwg

• Hi,
    I tried "VERY slow.dwg" file on my system and I can confirm panning and zooming iin BricsCAD under linux iis slower than DraftSight. This happens only if you are zoomed out and see the whole drawing. Once you zoom in to part of the drawing, BricsCAD becomes much more responsive than DraftSight.
  • Hi! As I said it's only small crop of a drawing (4x crop). The whole drawing has much more objects of that type. And the whole drawing becomes very very slow compared to other CADs on the same PC. Hope BricsCAD team can make it much faster.
  • Hi Moz,
    did you file SR with this file attached? If not I think you should do so.
    In my projets I find viewport performance satisfying, the thing that I have problem with is, that larger files with lots of 2D entities take too long to open and regenarate (one test file of mine opens and regenerates for 1 minute in BricsCAD, Draftsight opens it in 13s and regenarates in 4s).

• Hi Moz,
    did you file SR with this file attached?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "SR".
    The file "VERY slow.dwg" is just a small part of my typical file. I've found what type of objects making BricsCAD slow, then copied a small part of them in to the new file, and then in that new file copy/pasted objects 3 times. My typical file has ~10 times more objects of that type (10xVERYslow.dwg).
  • Hi,
    SR means Support Request - if you want Bricsys' staff to notice a problem, it's better to files a support request than posting in forums. I find Bricsys' response to SR very helpful and fast. It's hard for them to service requests like "vieport is slow". but I think that they should know that in some cases, BricsCAD has problems with performance.
  • Bricscad 5.1.21 on distro Rosa R4, exhibits similar behaviour here. Also 5.2.03  beta on OpenSuse 13.2 exhibits is the same. Some files have become difficult to use as it is impossible to move around the screen with any confidence.
    It seems the Linux version is on life support. We need development  hours to address some of these problems. But I am not sure if it will happen. Windows rules the cad space, and all companies continue to reinforce this.

On the positive side I like Mechanical Browser, and hope that it matures fast.
  • Hi,
    I looked at the file "very_slow" once again and it looks it has been imported form other software - all of the text and lines are created from small solids. So there are lots of 3D objects in the file - no wonder it's slow.
    BricsCAD's viewport preformance could be improved, but this is not a good example file to show problems.
    TOm
  • Hi,
    I looked at the file "very_slow" once again and it looks it has been imported form other software - all of the text and lines are created from small solids. So there are lots of 3D objects in the file - no wonder it's slow.
    BricsCAD's viewport preformance could be improved, but this is not a good example file to show problems.
    TOm

My experience is with 2d files.

• My experience is with 2d files.

Yes Brian, I agree with you completely. My experience is that Bricscad's 3D performance is good enough (I haven't been working with 3D extensively though), but 2D performance lacks in some ways. Also, loading and regeneration times of files is slow - hopefully multi-threading will come to linux soon.
    I just wanted to point out, tat I. Moz's file is not an example of 2D file.
    TOm
  • Hi,
    I looked at the file "very_slow" ... but this is not a good example file to show problems.

Hi. I'm totally disagree with you. No matter what type of objects they are. That file shows the concrete problem. BricCad for linux is unusable with such files. Draftsight is good. Even nanocad5 in virtualbox winXP (on ubuntu host) is significantly faster (but still hard to use).
    And I also tried autocad2014 in virtualbox winXP (same ubuntu host). And that was absolutely lag free experience - ultra fast (and autocad uses just SOFTWARE rendering in that circumstances!!!).
    So I hope that Problem will be solved by Bricsys.
This discussion has been closed.