Windows 10

Have just received my notification that 'my' upgrade to Windows 10 is "ready to go". Before I do, has anybody had any problems with the upgrade.

Comments

• Ars and el Reg are both somewhat miffed at the amount of private data that Microsoft slurps up with Windows 10. Think "massive keylogger." Articles over here and here, along with some links to additional resources.
  • I wouldn't recommend it if this is your primary workstation.  I upgraded a couple of less important machines for testing, including a reset so it's like a fresh install.  Then after installing WellKnownCAD 2010 the machine wouldn't even boot to the desktop.  Proceed with extreme caution.
  • I am a bit nervous about MS giving windows 10 away for free,  that does not make sense.  There has to be some catch at some point, i read on the MS website that upon installation it wipes out all licensed versions of all previous operating systems from your machine, then if you don't like windows 10, you are back at square one.  Seems like something is up with this, just haven't been able to put my finger on it yet.

•  I upgraded last week an all is good. BUT - remember to detatch your BricsCAD license otherwise you will LOSE IT!!!
    I think that they are wanting to get everyone to migrate so that they can concentrate on supporting only 1 operating system, possibly cheaper for them to give away 10 for free and reduce maintenance cost. All other software seems to work fine. It seems no more than their normal system update, (albeit a big one).
  • It's only an initial free offer - then there's a published price.

Haven't installed mine yet - don't know how long I can wait, and still have it free?
  • The data collection they have implemented in 10 may be for the purpose of doing targeted advertising.  Or perhaps they plan on sell the info.

-Joe
  • Hi,
    I upgraded one machine form 8.1 to 10 without any problems. BricsCAD works fine.
    As others have posted, I recommend not do "Express installation", but use custom one and opt out of most of the tracking and advertising stuff Microsoft is throwing at us. I think there's no catch in free upgrade - it's good for Microsoft to have all customers on most modern platform, I think they are worried that win7 will become the new winXP.
    Tom
  • I think there's no catch in free upgrade - it's good for Microsoft to have all customers on most modern platform, I think they are worried that win7 will become the new winXP.

This is easily resolved by not coming out with releases with very few major improvements and/or bugs.  Folks stuck with XP because Vista was a POS.  I would prefer new releases to have major improvements and not be just because its been a year since the last release.  Personally I don't usually update my operating system at all on an existing PC, I typically wait until I purchase a new PC then update all software to the latest and greatest versions.  This approach used to work with the "OTHER" cad program but is no longer a viable approach so I am stuck with 2004.

• I am starting to think about having a computer built, my current machine just isn't up to the task of running BricsCAD with the model that I am building, I am currently running a Lenovo W530 laptop and it just doesn't have the power needed.  The model currently has 94 dependencies and about 1000 different fasteners in total, each dependency varies from a simple plate with bolts holes to something like the cab which has every switch and gauge modeled.  Anyway, if I buy something new it will most likely come with Windows 10, and be a custom tower, not something off of the Best Buy shelf.  I am just wondering who is using Windows 10 for daily work and what their thoughts are?  Should I wait a little longer to upgrade, or will things, specifically BricsCAD be OK to use on a daily basis in conjunction with Windows 10?
  • Hi Scott,
    I've previously been using linux, so I cannot compare to older versions of windows, but my experience is this:
    I have windows 10 isntalled on my laptop and workstation since it was released, I use it on everyday basis. BricsCAD works without any problems, as other standard applications do (draftsight, blender, gimp, scribus, firefox, thunderbird,...). There hasn't been major kernel or other low-level changes between windows 8 and 10, so most applications and drivers should work fine. The OS is quite stable, I have to reboot every few other days - sometimes something stops working, but it's fine after reboot (normally I just put computer to sleep). I consider this OK, I had the same experience with linux. It's funny most problems that come up are with the built-in windows applications - the are either buggy or don't have the functionality I would like them to have (mail client, pdf viewer, internet browser, music player, even picture viewer). I tried them all, but replaced them with 3rd party applications. Other thing I did was turning off cortana and other built-in adware windows 10 functions.
    To sum it up: windows 10 works fine for me. Basically it works the same as any other older windows system. If I was buying new computer I would buy it with wondows 10, if I had windows 7 machine I wouldn't upgrade it, because windows 10 doesn't offer anything more than 7 in standard desktop use.
  • Re-boot every few days?? I have an old desktop with Vista that I only re-boot when a new program installer tells me to. It sometimes goes for months without a re-boot.
  •  The general rule of thumb with regard to Microsoft operating systems is to delay until the release of the applicable Service Pack 1 (at least) unless otherwise compelled by circumstances. There's no reason to think that Win10 is any different.
  • I upgraded a tablet from 8.1 to 10, which I had to do in order to get the apps I wanted. As Tom suggested, I chose custom instead of "express" installation and turned off a large number of spying features. But I nearly missed the chance to do that, since I was worn out from the many hours of installation that required occasional input, and I was ready to do anything to get it over with. Beware.
  • Windows 7 is still readily available.  If I was building a new computer I would have Windows 7 installed.  There are still many months for a free upgrade to Windows 10.  Until I can control what updates get installed and when I will not be upgrading.  I can't afford to walk into the office and find all the computers in "blue screen" because of a defective update or to have production stop because Microsoft decided to push an update in the middle of the day and the computers have to go through a reboot. 
  • Windows 7 is still readily available.  If I was building a new computer I would have Windows 7 installed.  There are still many months for a free upgrade to Windows 10.  Until I can control what updates get installed and when I will not be upgrading.  I can't afford to walk into the office and find all the computers in "blue screen" because of a defective update or to have production stop because Microsoft decided to push an update in the middle of the day and the computers have to go through a reboot. 

I think with windows 10 pro you can delay upgrades. With windows 10 home you are not and you never will be, from what I read. It's possible to turn off "automatic reboot" functionality - windows now just pops up with notification, that I should schedule reboot, but I don't have to schedule it. I learned about the automatic reboot the hard way - had a render going on over night and when I returned to computer in the morning, it was rebooted with no render result.
  • @ Tomas Polak:
    From what I've read even the Pro version of Windows 10 does not allow the user to decide whether an update gets applied.  Pro may allow delaying an update, but after a few days it will get installed.  So far as I know there is no way to hide an update so that it is never installed like with Windows 7.
  • I was looking to see if there was a list of BricsCAD versions that have been verified to work with Windows 10? We have a mixture of versions going back to V12 and wanted to make certain that they would still work with Windows 10.

• I use Bricscad platinium on Windows 10 professional 64bit but not an windows10 upgrade.
    I created media version and installed windows 10 from scratch to avoid problems of the upgrade.

There is not much different between windows7, 8 and 10 concerning the core of windows.
    Windows8 was windows 7 with metro GUI , windows10 is windows8 with changed GUI but the kernel of windows did not change much.

So If Bricscad works under windows7, it should run fine under windows10 and if there should be a problem, You can give the bricscad exe
    run as windows7 compatible.

The problem is: old hardware, like printers, scanners etc may have a driver problem, but general rule is: if there are windows8 drivers, then
    use these to install under windows10.

Windows 10 update: The problem is, updates don't come exclusive from Microsoft servers anymore.
    If a computer within a netwerl or even foreign computer has been updated, then the update will come from such computers.
    You can switch that off:

Again..settings...Update and security, there click above on windows update and in the right pane click on advanced options.
    Click then on "chose how updates are ..." and turn that slider off.

You can still use windowsupdate as before, but You have to start windowsupdate manually.

• If you are using windows 10 in a production environment then there are a few things to do:

First, settings, privacy, turn everything off there.

Second: windows updates related, again settings... then the last icon: update and security, windows update section, click on advanced options then on choose the way that windows updates are downloaded and turn this feature with the slider off.

open the hosts file, located under c:\windows\system32\drivers
    If it contains alot of servers then delete all after localhost.
    note: some anti virus apps lok this file so Turn off anti virus first.
    After the change, switch on anti virus again.

• Just upgraded to windows10 from windows7, it messed with my Bricscad licenses, I had to manually deactivate the licenses from the Bricscad website, then all was ok.

I am running versions 14-16 of bricscad, not sure if its because of the multiple versions or just an issue across the board.

Also had to browse to the bricsys folder and change properties to give all users edit rights and de-select read only toggle. 

Once i reset all licensing though all appears ok.
  • Install windows10 always from scratch.
    Cause if You upgrade windows 7 or 8 and if the registry of windows 7/8 is already a mess then sure that the upgrade fails.

BricsCad Platinium V16 in my case runs rock stable on windows10 pro.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!