maintaining layer information in sections

Hello,

I'm currently looking into switching entirely to Bricscad from my current software (which was not the smartest decision in the first place), as it is simply to slow and awkward to quickly model architectural objects for my purposes (mainly interior design, temporary architecture, lots of visualisations). The only thing it could do well, was quickly generate 2D Sections from 3D geometry and I'm struggling to set up a proper workflow in Bricscad, that gives me somewhat of an equivalent. For a full blown architectural solution like Revit,ACAD Architecture and the like, I simply do not have the budget, nor the projects to make it pay, nor the willingness to jump on the subscription train. Hence, I have to work with what there is and get the best out of it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to maintain layer information in sections/blocks generated through the BIM Sections/ sectionplanetoblock/ viewbase commands. I feel it would facilitate later 2D Work and give some more flexibility in adjusting linewheights etc. without having to adjust individual lines.

I've seen some of the older posts on the forum concerning this, but couldn't exactly figure out the perfect solution. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Best regards,

Lukas

Comments

• Here is a recent topic discussing BIM sections:
    http://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/27578

Jason's post #14 is especially interesting.

Currently 3D layers and layer information from the BIM database are not used in 2D sections. But for each section you can specify layers for 'Intersection Boundary', 'Intersection Fill' etc.
  • Nearly 3 years layer it seem that in V18 I can define different settings for the section (layers and so on), but is there also a way to save my serttings as default? Or do I have to set every setting for a new section again and again ... ??

• In my other CAD the recommended way would be to duplicate the Viewport
    or use the Pipette Tool to bring settings over.
    Maybe duplication is also applicable to Bricscad.

But I was also used to have ways to access all Viewports visibility
    Settings for Layers, or vice versa at a time in an organization window.
    Like to change a bunch of viewports that have settings in common
    at once.

• Peter2 wrote

... it seem that in V18 I can define different settings for the section (layers and so on), but is there also a way to save my serttings as default? Or do I have to set every setting for a new section again and again ... ??

Bim sections are created from templates.

A template for each bim section type (Plan, Elevation, ...) is stored in _SectionSettings.dwg which is located in the /Bim/Sections/ subfolder of your Support folder. The easiest way to locate and open your support folder is to use the SUPPORTFOLDER command.

When applying the desired modifications to the section settings of the according section type, they will be applied for each newly created bim section.

Kind regards,
    Hans

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!