Bricscad not working in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hi,

Just installed Bricscad v16 in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. However, when I hit the Bricscad icon on the left of the screen it just starts blinking but does not run.
I installed via the download option which says "Open with Ubuntu software center". I tried re-installing but same results.

Any ideas? Let me now if you need further info.

thanks,

Alfredo

Comments

• Hello Alfredo,

BricsCAD V16 cannot run on Ubuntu 12.04, it is too old.
    From the V16.1.09 Release Notes:
    "BricsCAD (Linux) V16 is compiled with gcc 4.8.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. As a result the minimum required c++ runtime (libstdc++) is 4.8.2."

I have updated our knowledge base article What are the BricsCAD minimum system requirements? accordingly.  I checked just now in response to your post, and it was not up-to-date.
    See also the forum post BricsCAD V16 minimum requirement

Kind Regards
    Tijs
  • Hi Tijs,

No problem, I am about to give up on Ubuntu anyway, I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars on a Windows 10 license than spending endless hours fiddling with my computer and endless terminal commands to make things work. Even worse, I need Ubuntu 12.04 to run my CNC machine with Linuxcnc, which is not being kept up to date to work with new Ubuntu releases, so I'll probably buy new software to run my machine on Windows too. I'll just give it a try to make it work on Ubuntu 14.04 or else that's it.

Just a suggestion: "BricsCAD (Linux) V16 is compiled with gcc 4.8.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. As a result the minimum required c++ runtime (libstdc++) is 4.8.2." just doesn't mean anything to us mere mortals who are not computer literate, it would be easier and simplier if you wrote: "Runs only on Ubuntu 14.04 or higher".

Thanks for your help and have a nice day,

Alfredo

•  Alfredo, 
    I really hate to see people go to Windoz, but you have to make a dime.
    I have older machines, two vertical knee mills and 12 x 45" lathe, been thinking about CNC.  Some people are making their own.
    What machines are you running with LinuxCNC?
  •  I'm using a small home made CNC router. I use it to make prototypes and small molds in wood, plastics and some aluminum. I had used it with Linuxcnc and Xylotex driver for about two years, but lately the Linuxcnc guys have been falling behind on supporting newer Ubuntu versions, so I had to let go, which is bad because I really liked how it worked and it's features.
    I ended up buying the UC100 USB to parallel dongle with their proprietary software and using it on my old XP pc, so far it looks great! Easy to install, use and learn and I could keep using my Xylotex board, driver and motors. If you're starting from zero I'd go for newer Xylotex, Geckos, or also the UC100 guys seem to have great stuff which does't need a parallel port computer, which is more and more difficult to find these days.

I kept Ubuntu 14.04 for those times I need a safe internet connection but still having problems with my monitors and some other stuff, so not sure for how long I'll stay on it.
  • Hi,

I just upgraded to ubuntu 15.10. However when I hit the Bricscad icon on the left of the screen it just starts blinking but does not run.

Thanks in advance.
  • @ Alfredo Rodriguez

Virtualbox is your friend here. Create a VM with an old ubuntu or other distro (or XP) and run your application there. This way you can keep current and, with a simple backup of your VM you can restore at any time, it will last forever and never break. I do this for a couple applications I can't run in my current distro and it's great.

@ lorenz orallo

You should run bricscad from a terminal and see the error messages. Most probably you didn't install all dependencies - they are listed in the requirements at the site IINM  (or was it in a post here?).
This discussion has been closed.