Layer window simultaneously opend while drawing.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

•  The Layer Explorer (Drawing Explorer > Layers) cannot be open when executing a command. To adjust layer settings such as display/hide, thaw/freeze, lock/unlock, print/don't print, Color and Set Current, is done in the Layer Control on the Entity Properties toolbar.
  •  We had the same issue in our office. We contracted a developer to create custom layer control for us that contains 90% of the functionality of the standard layer dialog.
    It's a significant enough issue that I think BricsCAD should consider creating one as well.
    imageCustom Layer Control.png
  • The Layers dialog behaves same as Autocad up to 2008: Acad2009 allowed Layers and several other dialogs to remain open as palettes. so it seems to possible in the Acad-based world - can Brics explain no doubt good reason for not introducing this? I'd like it too, especially as Brics has excellently consolidated so many of the scattered dialogs in Acad, into the one mega-dialog Drawing Explorer.
  • For us it is a desaster as well not beeing able to keep the drawing explorer open while working!!!
    We would apprechiate very much if Bricssys would change this!
    And as Tom said: Where is the reason for not introducing it?
    We can´t see any benefit on the existing behaviour.
    Maybe we can keep this discussion running, so that Bricsys can see that there are a lot of people out there that need this function.

Sascha
  • (...)
    Maybe we can keep this discussion running, so that Bricsys can see that there are a lot of people out there that need this function.

Sascha

I need this function, too.

I think that Bricsys must make a voting, which function and options We (All users of BricsCAD) need.
  • It's not exactly a vote, but adding your wishes for a modeless layer control as a support request is a good way to be heard by the managers deciding where to invest resources. If you're familiar with lisp, an OpenDCL based modeless layer manager would be reasonably easy to make. I did a quick search and found a few layer related tools in the Show and Tell forum:

http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Here is one for managing layer states, if that's what you need:

http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?topic=467.0

I do know that a modeless drawing explorer is on the Bricsys radar, so adding your requests formally by submitting a support request is a good way to be heard.

•  I was very surprised to find BricsCAD didn't have a Layer Palette (even AutoCAD has one now). I really don't know how you can use a CAD tool efficiently without one! (to the extent that I created one for another CAD program)
  •  I was very surprised to find BricsCAD didn't have a Layer Palette (even AutoCAD has one now). I really don't know how you can use a CAD tool efficiently without one! (to the extent that I created one for another CAD program)

A volunteer to build one for BricsCAD? :-) I'm sure users would appreciate!

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• Here is one for managing layer states, if that's what you need:

http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?topic=467.0

There are actually Toolbar Controls already available in the default.cui for Layer States, and Layer Filters. They have been available for quite some time. I really don't understand why they haven't been made more accessible.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

imageLayerControls.png
  •  JTB Layer Palette is now available for those that want to have the access to layers while drawing.
  • Access to the whole drawingexplorer while drawing should be the aim.
    So maybe Bricsys could tell us, why they don´t implement this.
    Is it such a big deal?
    Or would we loose something by doing so?

Sascha
  •  JTB Layer Palette is now available for those that want to have the access to layers while drawing.

We've been using the JTB Layer Palette for a while. Our users love it.
  • Hey!

I would like to follow up on the topic:
    In V17 the Layer Manager is modeless now.
    BUT my personal interest lies in the drawing explorer, specifically some functions. As i can see in V17 they do not have a modeless explorer, but now my question: Can I somehow have the View-Panel and the Coordinate System-Panel modeless or even as side panel or dropdown?

I cant code, but would take lisps or hints in the right direction, if somebody has ideas.

Cheers
  • Hi Benjamin,
    It's something we can develop. If interested contact us at info@jtbworld.com
    /Jimmy Bergmark
    JTB World

Hey!

I would like to follow up on the topic:
    In V17 the Layer Manager is modeless now.
    BUT my personal interest lies in the drawing explorer, specifically some functions. As i can see in V17 they do not have a modeless explorer, but now my question: Can I somehow have the View-Panel and the Coordinate System-Panel modeless or even as side panel or dropdown?

I cant code, but would take lisps or hints in the right direction, if somebody has ideas.

Cheers
  • The desired controls are available and can easily be added to an existing or new toolbar:

Use the CUI command to open the Customize dialog and click on the Toolbars tab,
    scroll to the bottom of the Available Tools displayed in the right pane, and click on the 'Controls' node:
    a list of available combo controls  ( 'dropdown' controls) is displayed.

Drag and drop the UCS and View controls onto an existing or new toolbar.
    Click the Ok button.
    Done...
  • Hi
    maybee you can take a Look to our Design Center, which is build Modless. It's not for Add new or change existing Entrys, but you can Drag 'n drop existing Styles, Layers, Blocks, UCS etc. from other Drawings into your oen Drawing. Look at:  https://www.bricsys.com/applications/a/?design-center-a1067

Regards Martin
  • @Hans: Wow, thanks a million! I already customized stuff but never saw that little controls node!
    But: is there also a way to make it work instead of a dropdown as a tool palette? where i have all my saved views underneath each other (automatically updating) and just have to click it instead of dropdown? See Attachment

@Martin Thanks for the Link for the drawing explorer! Also a great addon for future usage!

cheers
    imagetool palette.png
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!