Hatch scale number too low, around 0,001, to be efective

I'm using V16 for a couple of weeks now, and to use hatches, I have to use very small scale numbers, like 0.0002 in same cases
I use ISO units and work with  1unit = 1 meter for all my drawings.
To make a simple ANSI31 hatch for a 1/100scale and to get 2mm appart lines I have to use 0.005 hatch scale. And if my drawing has a 1/10 or smaller scale...just imagine.
My drawing units are set to ISO/Metric al round.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• There is nothing wrong with what you do.
    When Autodesk introduced the units-declaration-variable  (insunits) in their dwg format, they should also have introduced the same declaration in support files like hatch patterns - but they did not...
    Instead, they created two other variables, that govern if pattern  and linetype definitions should be read from a file that has them defined in metric or imperial units (measurement/measureinit) - but metric could mean mm as well as m.
    As a result, hatch patterns cannot automatically adjust to the units of the drawing, and you are confronted with this totally unnecessary complexity.
    Bricsys cannot fully solve this issue, but maybe it could be amended a bit (without breaking compatibility) by introducing a units declaration in the comment field of the hatch pattern, and then pre-setting the scale in the hatch dialog.
  •  I guess I understood, but when I worked in V11, hatch worked with reasonable scale numbers. So things (hatch scales) changed from V11 to V16?
  • This behavior has not changed between V11 and V16. There are two standard .pat files. But the dimensions in default.pat are smaller than in iso.pat (iso distance = 25.4 * default distance). So your experience is not a case of a wrong setting for the MEASUREMENT variable. But it is possible to create custom .pat files or use customized versions of the standard .pat files.
    Annotative hatches may also lead to confusion.

BTW: The 0.005 scale in the example is not correct. It should be 0.05:
    0.125*25.4 = 3.175 (ANSI31 distance)
    3.175*0.05 = 0.15875m = 158.75mm
    158.75mm/100 = 1.5875mm (scaled distance)
  • Based on the comment that model space units are in metres, I would take a look at your scalelist settings using SCALELISTEDIT.

When your intended units are the same in model space and paperspace, then the default scalelist works fine e.g. mm/mm, in/in. When you have differing units such as m/mm, then you have to apply a conversion factor to your scales (Well that seems to be the method a lot use). The reason for this (my interpretation), is paperspace layouts can only be in mm or inches, as these are the only units selectable when you PRINT. Because of this a user working in metres (I assume cm would be the same) would apply a  conversion factor to the scalelist. e.g. assuming metres is your model space units, 1:100m -> 1 x 1000 / 100 = 10:1. This would explain why your hatch scale looks to be out by a factor of 10.

Attach a sample drawing to illustrate.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

imageScaleListEdit.png

HatchPatternScale.dwg

•  I'm not using annotative hatches. The problem is simpler:
    Imagine a wall with 30cm thickness (around 12') to be printed at a 1/100scale; to get a usable hatch (ANSI31) with the lines offset by 3cm I have to use 0,01 scale; 
    When I want denser hatches for details I have to use even smaller number. For a 1/1 scale presentation I need  0,0001 scale. It's ridiculous.
    I have no problems with paperspace, I just use LTscale to my liking.
    I guess there should be a overall scale for hatches just like ltscale, unless I'm doing something wrong.

imagelx.jpg
  • Ok you are going about this the wrong way. To draw in meters and print in 1/100 you make a frame in meters (A2 appr 0.6x0.42.) Now you scale it up 100 then draw your stuff. Finally print at 1/100. See attached drawing . House wall 4x8m wall 0.3m hatch scale 0.025. Maybe you have a new template that is out of sync. 

Drawing4.dwg

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!