BricsCAD (Linux) V17, 64 bit only

Dear linux users,

Spatial informed us that they will drop support for 32 bit linux systems in the next version of ACIS.

As a result BricsCAD(Linux) V17 will normally come in a 64 bit version only.
Please let us know if dropping 32 bit support for V17 would be a problem for you.
Further V16 versions will still appear in 32 and 64 bit.

Kind Regards
Tijs Vermeulen

Comments

• No problem for me.  Have been running 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for nearly 2 years and will upgrade soon to 64 bit 16.04 LTS.  Will upgrade to V17 when it becomes available.
  •  Hello Tijs:
    we have 5 linux work stations in our office, all on 64 bit linuxmint 17.3, I think there is no problem for us. Any  new features in v17 can tell us? Thanks!
  • I use 32bit Bricscad on 32 bit Debian quite happily. For all my other work there is no reason to move to 64 bit and there are machine requirements reason to avoid it: memory and storage requirements increase for a negligible increase in processing speed.

What about a version without ACIS for those of us not using it anyway?

I have been paying an annual subscription for Bricscad. Does this mean I stop?

• Hi Chris,

It is very probable you have at least 4GB RAM. 64 bit OS image is about 10% more in size than 32 bit image. 64 bit applications coexist with 32 bit applications pretty happily. Why do not use 64bit OS?
  •  Using Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit so all good here..

• We are using 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04 in our office so all is good to go here.
  • hi,
    We use only 64bit version on the two agency posts, not a problem for us. Thx. Best regards
  • We use 64-bit versions only at OpenStudio arkitekter, so no issue at our office.
  •  No problem for us. Everything running on Fedora _x86_64 here...
  • I think I still have a 32-bit CPU stashed somewhere, but it'd be hardly powerful enough to run BricsCad (supposing it still works).
    I haven't seen one 32-bit workstation in at least five years, so I'm good with 64-bit only.
  • What about a version without ACIS for those of us not using it anyway?

I'd guess the issue is the same as with the 64-bit only distro: besides the additional work, it's becoming increasingly harder to keep an updated stack of libraries and what else, for adiminishing pool of users.

Besides, changing to 64-bit CPUs has a bunch of side benefits, like more RAM with less hassle (my main computer has 24GB), assisted virtualization, new technologies, way more cores/threads, etc.

Just my 2c.
  • Hello,
    In relation to V17, STEP import and export is very missing on the basic program. I know there is communicator add on (windows and mac only), but STEP is an ISO standard with no proprietary rights. To my opinion STEP exchange should be included by default in the pro and platinum licenses.
    Can you consider this?
    Thank you.
  •  do we know when Bricscad v17 will be released?
  • >do we know when Bricscad v17 will be released?

about upcoming mac+linux versions:

BricsCAD V17 has not been released for mac/linux yet.
    On mac a beta is available.
    This month a follow up beta for mac and a first beta for linux will be published.
    V17 release of BricsCAD(Mac) is expected beginning of January. Release on linux is expected a few weeks after the mac version.

• Haven't used any 32bit OSs since 2008.
  • Do you know when the new version of the Communicator will be released for Linux.  I have the previous version of communicator installed, and cannot load STEP on version 17 of BricsCAD for Linux.
    Thank you for your help!
This discussion has been closed.