Printing jpeg images in drawings

I inserted a jpeg image into a drawing last night (which, by the way, was much clearer in appearance than inserting a pdf of the same image) but when I went to print it, only the edges of the image showed up but all the image is otherwise blank (I have it on layer 0 currently and did not turn the image frame off). I'm using PDFWriter for printing, which seems to be working okay otherwise.  I didn't check yet to see if it prints straight to hardcopy on a printer since I almost always format pdfs and send them to clients but the pdf is definitely problematic so far in regards to the jpeg...the cad linework shows up fine in my pdf.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Is there a setting for printing raster images?  Thanks!

Comments

•  Hi,

Inserting a raster - image and exporting to pdf works here.
    Printing with pdf- writer results in BricsCad hanging forever.

I think our problem is more likely related to a bug in pdf- writer than to BricsCad.
    Still, Bricsys should fix their export to PDF function (in relation to scale and font issues).
  • Thanks, Clemens.  Yes, exporting the image to pdf 'works' for me too, except for all the odd text sizing problems that occur, which make it basically unusable in my opinion. :(  I can successfully print typical drawings without jpegs to PDF using PDFWRITER, but, as you noted, the program hangs up or crashes when I try to print to pdf from a drawing with a jpeg rasters attached.  I may try another pdf creater.  Thanks.
  •  William,

The export to PDF option of BricsCad is usable. 
    The only thing to remember is to choose for outlined text in the export preferences otherwise you'll get odd scaled text.
    This has been discussed thoroughly in other topics and has been confirmed as a workaround.

• Clemens,
    I took your advice and tried the export with 'Convert TTF text to Geometry' set and it worked fairly well.  The text appears a little bit thinner than normal, but it's a lot better that my previous results.  I read your other related post too.  I appreciate you lending me your expertise!  Thanks again for taking the time!!!  
  •  Hi William,

I am happy to help but far from being an expert. Just a customer trying to make things work.

regards,

Clemens
  • William,
    I have the same problem with attached jpegs.  I'm using RWTS PDFwriter to allow me to print to larger size sheets than my small format printer driver will.  Unfortunately, it will not print the attached jpegs in a drawing. The frame shows if left on, but the image does not.  I use the PDFwriter in my page setups, then have to use the export command in order to see the jpgs in the resulting pdf.  I've used the PDFwriter to directly print jpegs with no issues, so I suspect that the problem lies with Bricscad.

But then I run into another problem in that if I create a custom paper size in PDFwriter, like Arch E1 42x30, and use the export command, the resulting pdf is the paper size set in the Settings/Export/PDF export/Pdf overridden paper size (210x297), despite the fact that Enable papersize override is not enabled.  I can't find a way to control it.

So, unless I convert any jpg that I want to attach to a drawing to a pdf first, I'm not able to print both images and get the correct page size and orientation.  Next stop: support request.
  •  Jeff,
    I submitted a support request, explaining my problems trying to Print (program hangs and if it does print, jpeg is missing) and Export (for anything other than my 11x17 size page setup I get a blank pdf on wrong size paper (probably the default size you mentioned)).  Here's their response...

Hi William,

I can reproduce the issues regarding the hang at “Print”; wrong orientation and paper size after “Export” to PDF.
    As a workaround, please convert .jpg format in .png or .tiff formats (I use “Paintbrush”, it’s free).
    I'll inform our development team of these issues.

Best regards,
    Bogdan

I haven't tried converting my jpegs yet to see how this works but I did notice I was actually able to export a drawing a few days ago with both jpegs and pdfs in the drawing and it worked.  It was a different file, but I tried using the same paper setup on both so I can't figure out why it works on one and not the other.

Thanks.
  •  Jeff,
    I thought I'd follow up on this issue.  Since last posting a reply I have tried converting .jpg images to .pngs to print in BricsCAD.  I have had success printing pdfs with some .png images in my drawings (it takes a minute or two for the pdf to format though) but for some reason, this doesn't work with all .pngs (they still don't appear in the preview and don't plot, while other .pngs in the same drawing do plot).  I'm not sure how to solve this or why that happens, but I just thought I'd give an update.  Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.