Saving raster images within a drawing

I am having problems when I try to transfer a drawing with a raster image from one machine to another.

Bricscad merely links raster images to a drawing - there appears to be no facility to save the image within the drawing.  I had imagined that saving the image in the same folder would enable it to be referenced  but it seems that Bricscad saves the entire file reference including disk drive and sub folders which of course differ between machines.

Is there any way round this? I am using Bricscad v14.1.13 in Windows 10.

Comments

• .....Bricscad saves the entire file reference including disk drive and sub folders which of course differ between machines. 

Have you tried (when inserting raster image) opting for "Relative Path" vs "full path"?
    "Relative Path - stores the path from the drawing's location to the image's location; (the drawing must be saved before this option can be selected)"
    Raster file still needs to be on other computer.

Option "Paste" the raster image.
  •  I think Robt Dreams was already referring to this, but to elaborate.  If you have an image in your clipboard, and paste it into a drawing, it will be embedded.  I.e. it will not have it as an external file.  I am puzzled why there does not seem to be an option in the imagine management window to convert an externally linked one, into a embedded one. Be aware that simply using Cntl-C on an image already attached as an external file, and then pasting it, does not convert it to an embedded image. You have to either use a screen grab, or to get an image that is higher number of pixels than your screen, open an image in an imaging program and use a Select/All, and the copy.

-Joe
  • When a 'regular' (not embedded) image is not found at the location that has been stored in the drawing, BricsCAD will check and see if it can find the image file in the same folder as the dwg, so the approach Andrew had in mind will work: just make sure the drawing and the image are in the same folder.
  • Well - thanks to all of you for those most helpful responses.

The one described by Hans De Backer worked instantly and has solved my problem. I had been keeping my images together in a folder separate from the drawings. As soon as I merged them into a common folder (which I should have thought of) voila!

So thanks again.
  • I had been keeping my images together in a folder separate from the drawings. As soon as I merged them into a common folder (which I should have thought of) voila!

You can use ETRANSMIT as a tool to update the path on dependant files, such as xrefs, and images. When packaging the drawing select the 'Organise folder structure' option. This will arrange the dependencies in folders relative to the etransmitted drawing. Opening the etransmited file you will see that the paths have been updated to be relative.

You can also update the paths of missing dependencies in the drawing explorer by right clicking on the file and selecting the 'Suggested Path' option.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

imageXref-SuggestedPath.png
This discussion has been closed.