BricsCAD V17 - Revealed

Well the Bricsys Conference for 2016 has been, and the new features coming with V17 revealed.

Details on BricsCAD V17 can be found here

https://storify.com/bricsys/bricsys

http://www.worldcadaccess.com/

http://rakeshrao.typepad.com/

Videos

What's new in V17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josrUNIsp0k

What’s new in BIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBK6BbJgQR8

What's new in Sheet Metal
Jason Bourhill

Comments

•  Is there an official list of new features available yet?  (I am hoping that Dynamic Block creation just didn't make the cut to get on the video summaries)

-Joe
  •  Ralph Grabowski's site linked up above (WorldCAD Access) has a link to the beta release notes. Presumably that link was shared at the conference and should be pretty close to what's in the released version. The usual cautions for beta versions apply -- some things may be added, others may not make it in or may be delayed to a point release.
  •  WO KANN MAN DAS TESTEN
  • Looks like v17 is now available in English.
    What about new license numbers for customers with v16 all-in-one subscription ?

Thanks
    Steffen

•  Hi Steffen,

We're preparing everything at this very moment.  At the latest tomorrow (Thursday), you should have received your new License numbers.

Kind regards,
    mark
  • Great, thanks.
  • I work for a small, cash strapped firm, and do mechanical design. The only new features here that interest me are the twist and thicken commands. The other features seem geared mostly for architects and people doing large projects.    I don't want to see all my layers at all times. That will eat up too much of my screen space.   And seriously, how often am I going to use 3D compare? As Bricsys moved from V14 to V15, to V16, the program has become a memory hog, progressively slower, and more likely to crash. In fact, I'm not even using V16, even though my employer has the rights to use it.     I have no reason to doubt V17 will be worse. What I need is speed and stability. Maybe it wouldn't be as big an issue if I could run the 64 bit versions. But even if I could get our IT people to install a 64 bit OS, the machine only has 4GB of memory.   Fat chance getting a new machine. We make do with what we have..

I wish Bricsys would allow customers to buy and install just the features they want. So we could make the decision to forego features to save on memory, increase speed, reduce price, etc.  We don't need or want BIM.   Why should we pay for it?

• I work for a small, cash strapped firm, and do mechanical design. The only new features here that interest me are the twist and thicken commands, and some of the form tools for sheet metal. The other features seem geared mostly for architects and people doing large projects.    I don't want to see all my layers at all times. That will eat up too much of my screen space.   And seriously, how often am I going to use 3D compare? As Bricsys moved from V14 to V15, to V16, the program has become a memory hog, progressively slower, and more likely to crash. In fact, I'm not even using V16, even though my employer has the rights to use it.     I have no reason to doubt V17 will be worse. What I need is speed and stability. Maybe it wouldn't be as big an issue if I could run the 64 bit versions. But even if I could get our IT people to install a 64 bit OS, the machine only has 4GB of memory.   Fat chance getting a new machine. We make do with what we have..

I wish Bricsys would allow customers to buy and install just the features they want. So we could make the decision to forego features to save on memory, increase speed, reduce price, etc.  We don't need or want BIM.   Why should we pay for it?

• I wish Bricsys would allow customers to buy and install just the features they want. 

BrisCAD is available at 3 tiers of features.  So, you do have some level of choice about the features you want. 

Regarding memory usage and other computer requirements, that is just the nature of progress as a program develops. And at some point in the future, your older machine will not be able to run BrisCAD at all.  But, if you computer meets the specs, it really should run reliably.  So, I think your issue with stability is certainly a valid one. I don't crash my v14 very often. And I have learned to avoid specific actions that trigger a crash.

In regards to adding features you don't feel are important.  One thing I really like about Bricsys, is that they aren't forcing a subscription model, like Autodesk.  When that occurs, a company is not motivated to provide any real value to the upgrades.  When a customer pays for an upgrade, the upgrade has to justify its cost.  Otherwise people won't upgrade.  I upgraded to v14 to obtain some features that turned out not to work very well, and hoped for increased reliability.  Because of these things, I felt that the upgrade from v13 to v14 wasn't worth the price.  I am still on v14.  The main feature for any future upgrades that I am really waiting on is the creation of Dynamic blocks, and fixes to how Dynamic blocks behave.  Though, for the time being, the cost of any upgrade will be a strain on my company.

-Joe
  • Jim if you do any 3d work I strongly recommend that you at least try V16 ( have not really tried 17 yet ) The money spent will pay back quickly on dynamic UCS alone. If you only do 2d then I dont know. We mostly do schematics and most of my guys are still on V13 and happy with that. We do have licenses to upgrade but have not bothered.

I have been fiddling with some 3d parts for visualization and started the bits in V13. Its way easier inV16.

• I can't find any info regarding costs to upgrade from v16 "Classic"; I've had the license for less than a year. Can anyone point me in the direction of upgrade info?
  • I can't find any info regarding costs to upgrade from v16 "Classic"; I've had the license for less than a year. Can anyone point me in the direction of upgrade info?

Upgrade costs can be found at the estore
    https://www.bricsys.com/estore/
    Or contact your local reseller.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

•  Is there an official list of new features available yet?  (I am hoping that Dynamic Block creation just didn't make the cut to get on the video summaries)

-Joe

Agreed.  Block Edit and Dynamic Block Creation are sadly missed features that I have available in AutoCAD.  Other than that I'm very satisfied with BricsCAD.

As far as I know, the first update comes for free with the All-In support you had to book with your first licence.

Regards,
    Sascha
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!