BricksCAD calculator?

pre.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans Fallback",monospace; }p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }Hello. I have the trial version of BricksCAD16 installed on Ubuntu 14.04. When I tried to use the “cal” command to use a calculator, the program don't do anything. When I open the program via terminal and repeat the process it shows me:
execvp(calc.exe) failed with error 2!”
The “cal” command is not available for Ubuntu? Only for Windows users? 

Comments

• I found galculator handy. I keep it on my panel, it pops onto Bricscad and will copy/paste as easily in this format as the Windows version. It's a more powerful tool as well.
  •  I also keep a calculator handy in the tool panel, but for a calculation on the fly, I'll do a command line calculation. I have no idea what the notation system is called, but here are some examples.
    to add two numbers like 10 and 12
    (+ 10 12)

to multiply
    (* 10 12)

to divide
    (/ 10 12.0)
    Note, include the ".0" or you'll get a whole integer answer.

(sqrt 15.0)

find the area of a room 10'-6 1/2" x 14'-7 3/4" 
    (* (+ 10 (/ 6.5 12)) (+ 14 (/ 7.75 12)))
    Or draw a rectangle and ask.

always fun

• @John:
    That is Lisp code.
    Your last example can rewritten:
    [code](* (distof "10'-6 1/2\"") (distof "14'-7 3/4\""))[/code]
  • p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }

Thanks for reply. I can use a galculator or handheld calculator, but I prefer the CAL command.

It’s a good idea use the autolisp syntax to make calculus. Maybe I can upgrade this for my main objective.

In a AutoCAD program, it’s possible to combine the CAL command with others. For exemple, I can use the OFFSET command and using the apostrophe character (‘) and CAL I can input the a value calculated . See the prompt below:

[code]

OFFSET

specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <2148.4547>: ‘cal

CAL >>>> Expression: dist(end,end)/5

[/code]

For me, the cal command is a powerfull tool.

• Note that the _Cal command in BricsCAD is not the same as in AutoCAD. In the Windows version just calls the Windows calculator so it is not 'a powerful tool'.
  •  Thanks Roy, for the 'distof' function, but I the results must depend on how units are set. I compared our examples and got different answers with the distof function returning the answer in square inches. - Will probably learn to use it anyway because fractional inches are a pain to convert to feet. - John
    [code(* (+ 10 (/ 6.5 12)) (+ 14 (/ 7.75 12)))
    : (* (distof "10'-6 1/2\"") (distof "14'-7 3/4\""))
    : (/ (* (distof "10'-6 1/2\"") (distof "14'-7 3/4\"")) 144.0)
    154.391493055556[/code]
  • distof results don't depend on your units settings. It will always convert to the base decimal value.

you can use cvunit to convert to square feet.

[code](cvunit (* (distof "10'-6 1/2\"") (distof "14'-7 3/4\"")) "sq in" "sq ft")[/code]
    returns: 154.391493055556

[code](cvunit (* (distof "10'-6 1/2\"") (distof "14'-7 3/4\"")) "sq in" "sq m")[/code]
    returns: 14.343439055

cvunit gets its unit conversion factors from the default.unt file, which is customisable.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }

Thanks for reply. I can use a galculator or handheld calculator, but I prefer the CAL command.

It’s a good idea use the autolisp syntax to make calculus. Maybe I can upgrade this for my main objective.

In a AutoCAD program, it’s possible to combine the CAL command with others. For exemple, I can use the OFFSET command and using the apostrophe character (‘) and CAL I can input the a value calculated . See the prompt below:

OFFSET    specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <2148.4547>: ‘cal    CAL >>>> Expression: dist(end,end)/5    

For me, the cal command is a powerfull tool.

Equivalent in LISP is
    [code](/ (distance (getpoint "1st Point: ") (getpoint "2nd point: ")) 5.0)[/code]
    : OFFSET
    Enter offset distance or [Through point/Erase/Layer] <21.88623>:(/ (distance (getpoint "1st Point: ") (getpoint "2nd point: ")) 5.0)
    1st Point:
    2nd point: 60.0
    Enter offset distance or [Through point/Erase/Layer] <21.88623>:60
    Select entity/subentity or [Exit] :

you can make it more universal by prompting for the divisor
    [code](/ (distance (getpoint "1st Point: ") (getpoint "2nd point: ")) (getreal "Divide by:"))[/code]
    Enter offset distance or [Through point/Erase/Layer] <61.55106>:(/ (distance (getpoint "1st Point: ") (getpoint "2nd point: ")) (getreal "Divide by:"))
    1st Point:
    2nd point:
    Divide by:4
    Enter offset distance or [Through point/Erase/Layer] <61.55106>:75

if it is something you use a lot, then you could make a command alias of it using CUSTOMIZE

Enter offset distance or [Through point/Erase/Layer] <63.58953>:'ddist
    1ST POINT:
    2ND POINT:
    DIVIDE BY:3
    Enter offset distance or [Through point/Erase/Layer] <63.58953>:100

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    imageDDIST-Alias.png
  •  Thanks, Jason and Roy, for the lisp lessons.
This discussion has been closed.