New 2D functions in V17

I use Bricscad only 2D. 
Are they please any new 2D functions in new version 17?
I cannot find them and now I dont know, upgrade or not...

Thanks

Comments

• The new dock-able, modeless Layer Explorer keeps layer names and layer settings at your fingertips while drawing and editing.
    • V17’s new dimension style families let you easily create derivative styles from a single parent dimension style. The new compare dimension styles feature in the Dimension Styles Explorer makes short work of organizing your dimension style catalog.
    • You can document your models faster with expanded section views - full, half, offset, and aligned sections are now automatically generated and stay associated with your models as you refine your designs.
    • Support for high-resolution screens (UHR) makes 4K a reality for BricsCAD users.
  •  Thanks for answer, but ...

1. dock-able Layer Explorer is OK
    2. dimension styles v16 is OK for me, i dont need style families
    3. section views is from 3D, I have written I use only 2D
    4. 4K monitor is fine, but I have 3 normal monitors on my table

There is actually nothing for 2D users in this version 17.

There is one huge function, i am waiting ...
    I would like to put Bricscad on my 3 monitors, not only one monitor.

All my other programs, office, image editors, 3d modeling, video editors ... 
    i can use on all my monitors, all are multimonitors ready ...

cannot understand where is problem in Bricscad,
    new window, new floating viewport, put on second monitor,
    new window, new floating viewport, dock on third monitor,
    new window, new floating viewport, put on fourth monitor ...

why this essential function is problem ?

• It is wrong to say there is nothing for 2D users.  Rather, there is nothing that you, personally, value. At times, I have found myself venting my frustration at the lack of a feature. But, in reality, Bricsys is under absolutely no obligation to meet our personal needs.  They offer a program, and upgrades for us to purchase. We choose, or don't choose, to buy it.  

Even the subscription model they offer as an option, comes without any true obligation to offer something of value to us personally.  It is a gamble. But you know the risks of getting the upgrade cheaper (or fewer hassles with your management to request upgrades)  than those of us who do not subscribe. Personally, we have benefited from not using the subscription option. I prefer it when the user get to choose if an upgrade has earned its keep.  This the opposite of Autodesk's current plan, where you can only "rent" the software, and they are not motivated to make upgrades of any value.

Personally, I would use dimension styles, so that if I have an angle dimension, I can show 23° rather than 23°" without having to manually edit it.  But, I rarely dimension an angle, and so it would not be worth the upgrade costs for me at all. I felt somewhat burned on my upgrade from v13 to v14 platinum, when some of the features I wanted didn't work out as good as I had hoped. So I have not upgraded since then. The man feature I have been hoping for is the ability to create dynamic blocks.

I think the only time we really get the right to complain, is on bugs or touted features that aren't fully implemented.  E.g. When I upgraded to v14 I was expecting existing dynamic blocks to work. But, they had enough limitations that I ended up deciding they were not worth using. I considered asking for a refund, but in the end decided to keep it for the usable new features. 

Perhaps one day they will have the upgrade features that meet enough of my personal needs that I feel it will be worth the money.  But, I emphasize that this is always a very personalized decision based on the value you place on specific features, vs. the money you have to spend.

-Joe
  • I upgrade every year whether I see anything new that I think will be of value or not.  There are always bug fixes in the new version.  Older versions are not generally updated.  I have several bug fixes and feature requests submitted which are the types of things that would be included in a minor update.  If I stayed on an earlier version I would never get these fixes.  The annual upgrade for Pro is about $1.00 US per work day.  This may not be true everywhere in the world, but in the USA if my business is not profitable enough to accommodate $250 per year to keep my software up to date I need to find a new line of work. 
  •  We find very useful 2D additions and improvements in each release.

The dockable panels have been a requested addition by ours and other users for a long time.
    We needed improved support for higher resolution monitors.
    The cui enhancements for ribbons will be utilized immediately.
    The dimension families look promising ...

I'm still discovering more!
  • Attach an example drawing using a Dimension Style Family and a script example for setting them. Dimension style families have actually been around for a very long time, they were available as far back as AutoCAD R14 (not 2014). They don't seemed to be used much, possibly because of the paucity of documentation on the feature. It was reasonable well explained in the R14 paper manual if can find one still, the level of detail dropped in subsequent versions to almost non existent.

Dimension style families allow you to have granular control over how you display particular dimension types. A Dimension style family consists of a parent style, with a number of child styles. Where the child style exists for a particular dimension type, it will be used in preference to the parent. Dimension families use a suffix naming convention ($, then number) to identify the various child types. Using the dimension style ISO-25 as an example, the following child styles are available

ISO-25        ISO-25 parent Dimstyle
    ISO-25$0    Linear child of ISO-25 (both rotated and aligned types)
    ISO-25$2    Angular child of ISO-25 (both 2-line and 3-point types)
    ISO-25$3    Diameter child of ISO-25
    ISO-25$4    Radius child of ISO-25
    ISO-25$6    Ordinate child of ISO-25
    ISO-25$7    Leader child of ISO-25 (also used for tolerance objects)

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

DimensioningFamilyExample.dwgCCL-Dimvar-M.scr

• IMAGEATTACH now allows you to select and attach multiple images in one go. This is particularly useful to those who use geocoded images a lot.

PLACEVIEW could allows you to compile a drawing from named VIEWs. Simply drag and drop from the Content Browser panel. Takes advantage of Sheetsets if you're using them.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• We are using Bricscad only for 2D drawings.
    Like Miroslav I also find the improvement in 2D very low.
    I don´t see any benefit with the dimension families as we created our own dimension styles within our template drawing and they work fine.
    Cool, that I can leave the Layermanager open now, but why not the whole Drawingexplorer, like the Designcenter in Autocad?
    I think, if Bricsys wants us to pay for an update it should be worth for any user. So not only for those who use Bricscad for BIM or Sheetmetal but also for those who use the basic features. And there would be a lot to improve:

-Designcenter
    -Dynamic blocks
    -Data extraction
    -Tables
    -Annotative Dimensions
    -making existing stuff more handy (here I mean these little things that burn my time every day like not existing preview of layouts and so on)

My bosses had to decide not to update to V17 as it is not worth the money for 2D drawings. (Paying the update for 7 serverlicences just for the layermanager doesn´t make sense).

And Martin, paying for bugfixes???

Regards,

Sascha

• FILLET - holding the Shift key down will momentarily override the current FILLETRAD to instead create a 0 radius fillet. Method works with CHAMFER too.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

imageFilletTip.gif
  • Hey Jason,

I don´t think my bosses will pay many hundreds of Euros for this...
    And anyway I made a macro for this 2 years ago.
    Works fine.

Regards,

Sascha
  • The ability to define DIMENSION SUB UNITS in V17 should be useful for German architects I think ("Architekturgerechte Bemaßung").
  • @Sascha

you can see the ReleaseNotes.htm - available under "Download -> Other download options", a bit hidden, indeed ...
    then you can see all (ok, ~90%) of all a) additions b) improvements and c) fixes

many greetings !
  • And anyway I made a macro for this 2 years ago.

Is that a macro to set the fillet radius to 0 when entering the Shift key?  Would you care to share it?

-Joe
  • @ Joe
    No, it´s a new tool with its own toolbutton, as you can see in the attachment.

@ Roy
    Is it really the exact german architectural dimensioning?
    "1.00" for 1m, "90" for 90cm and raised 5 for half centimetres?
    Where can I see, how it looks?

Thanks,

Sascha
    imageScreenshot_3.jpg
  • Attach an example for dimension Sub-units.
    For more details see Overview, Demonstration

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

DimensionSubUnits.dwg

• hmmm.
    The "families" don´t seem to solve the problem of german architectural dimensioning.
    See in the attachment how we dimension.
    ...and please don´t ask me, why germans do like they do...

We solved our problem with a little reactor we bought ( for less than we would have to pay for the 7 updates).

Greetings,

Sascha
    imageScreenshot_4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.