Multiplication of objects in blocks

Hello,
I have following issue. When I create blocks (typical in 2d), objects inside multiply. They are recreated in the same place.
Anyone has any idea why this happens?
Original file has been created in AutoCAD.

Comments

• i dont really get your drawing. can you explain your file a little more?
    When you create blocks, insert blocks or copy blocks?
    Can you delete everything except the block you are talking about?

• File cleaned up as requested.
    If You try to edit block in place, You'll see that almost all elements in it are duplicated. Like blocks, polylines etc.
    I think it must have happened during creation of the block. Block was created using Block definition command.
    I did not copied elements over one another manually, that much I'm certain.

• And this happens everytime you make a new block or it just happened with this one?
    If only this one: Open the Block and use _overkill -enter to get rid of the duplicates and save the block again.
    maybe you updated the block and forgot to deselect an instance before so he added it to block? maybe.

If it happens all the time try first the command "_audit". If that doesnt help open a new drawing and copy paste everything into there. save it. does it still happen in the new file?

• Thank You Benjamin.
    This happened in many blocks I did in this drawing.
    Opening the blocks with edit-block-in-place and deleting the overlaying elements helps.

Audit did not solved the issue. It showed some errors but they were mostly like below:

Name: AcDb2dVertex(4C8E82)
    Value: LineType (24) doesn't match to owner
    Validation: Should match to owner
    Replaced by: Set to default LineType "HIDDEN"

Could You clarify a bit what do You mean by " forgot to deselect an instance before so he added it to block?"

Not sure if I understand what You mean but would like to be sure to avoid this issue in the future.

• If it happened in many "different" blocks, so not only one and all his instances, this can`t be the issue.
    But to clarify what i meant:
    You can update blocks by opening the block-command, selecting the block name and choosing the new objects and new basepoint etc. it will ask you if you are sure you want to redefine the block.
    The thing is, when you open the block command and want to make a new block, but before you do that you scroll down the "properites and objects" of the block you scrolled down to will stay put even if you then type a new name and make a block.
    Not sure how to explain it better, best is you try it yourself.
    Anyways i ended up destroying some of my blocks like this because i wasnt attentive enough.

But as i see it for your drawing it seems to be an issue with the file that happened at some point. best thing to avoid this is making a backup every day into a archive-folder.

Another tip with blocks: When you copy stuff from an "archived" version of your drawing to the current version it DOES NOT change the blocks in the current drawing since a block with this name is already defined. You have to delete the block definition completely from the drawing (_purge or in drawing explorer) or rename the blocks before you copy paste them.

Cheers

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited March 2017

@benjamin schlanz

Another tip with blocks: When you copy stuff from an "archived" version of your drawing to the current version it DOES NOT change the blocks in the current drawing since a block with this name is already defined. You have to delete the block definition completely from the drawing (_purge or in drawing explorer) or rename the blocks before you copy paste them.

When you drag-and-drop blocks from one drawing to another in the Drawing Explorer / Blocks, you get the following options if a block of the same name in the target drawing already exists:

• Copy and Replace: the block from the source drawing replaces the block in the target drawing
    • Don't copy: the block from the source drawing is not copied, the block in the target drawing is kept.
    • Copy but keep both: the block from the source drawing is copied, and an index is added to its name (e.g. block1)
  • yes thats right, but not if you copy them from drawing to drawing in e.g. model view. say you want get back part of a drawing from an older version, where the blocks as well as other stuff has been changed. You select the parts of the drawing and copy paste them over. Bricscad will not ask you.

• @benjamin schlanz said:
    yes thats right, but not if you copy them from drawing to drawing in e.g. model view. say you want get back part of a drawing from an older version, where the blocks as well as other stuff has been changed. You select the parts of the drawing and copy paste them over. Bricscad will not ask you.

That's right, but if you then drag the blocks you want to be updated from the source drawing into the target drawing, all instances of the blocks will be updated.

• i've had this behavior also bevore while using the Audit command. But i coudn't find out what was the reason of this. But it always come up with the use of _audit

Martin

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!