3D Clip

I am new to BricsCAD, been an Acad user since forever . I noticed that there is not a 3D equivalent for 3D clip available in BricsCAD ? Below a link to the AutoCAD command I am referring to.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-EB201BB0-E1DD-41C5-AF2D-F7EB97CF666B-htm.html

What is the best workaround / BricsCAD command to use in this instance ? Typically clipping planes are adjusted for the desired view, optionally this view is then saved and transferred to a viewport. The closest I could find was DVIEW? It is a little cumbersome to work with though...

Comments

• Front and Back clipping planes are properties of a Camera entity, which is created by the CAMERA command. When defining the properties of a camera, the Clipping option allows to set the clipping planes. The clipping planes can be edited in the Properties panel. See the BricsCAD Help under Command Reference / C / Camera on how to create a camera view. To set the camera view current, go to the Drawing Explorer / Views and click the CURRENT column of the camera view.

• A more powerful alternative for 3DCLIP is to use the 'Clip Display' property of SectionPlanes ( not the AutoCAD 'Live' status)
    To try it out, just add a SectionPlane to your model, upon creation its 'Clip Display' property will be active.
    Moving the SectionPlane through your model, you will see the content being sectioned and updated in real time.
    The 'Use Lids' property controls whether you can see the insides of a sectioned solid, or whether it is covered by a lid (this tends to make models much easier to 'read').
    Double clicking the SectionPlane suffices to deactivate the clipping.
    Multiple SectionPlanes can clip simultaneously .
    As opposed to 3D clip, the view can be rotated, panned and zoomed in any desired way without needing to adjust the clipping planes.

• Thanks, did not notice I can set clipping values in the properties panel, but this works quite nicely for saving views and restoring. It will take some getting used to, as with 3DClip you do not rely on clipping values, but van visually adjust the clipping planes with a pop up window.

Thanks again

• Hans, this is a great tool, but it would appear that the section plane is active across multiple saved views. Is there any method to save a section plane for a specific view only? So that when I transition to a different view, I do not need to toggle the CLIPDISPLAY ?

• The answer is "Not yet"
    The dwg-view class data structure has a placeholder to store which SectionPlane should be set 'Live' upon restoring the view.
    For V18 we plan to make use of that placeholder and use it to control for which SectionPlane the 'Clip Display' status should be activated.
    Unfortunately this is restricted (by AutoCAD design) to a single SectionPlane, because in AutoCAD it is not possible anyway to have more than one SectionPlane with 'Live' status simultaneously.

Still, it will already be a nice improvement:
    using the 'Volume' status of a SectionPlane, one can drag various grips to adequately control the extents of the desired clip volume using just a single section plane.

• @Hans De Backer said:
    The answer is "Not yet"
    The dwg-view class data structure has a placeholder to store which SectionPlane should be set 'Live' upon restoring the view.
    For V18 we plan to make use of that placeholder and use it to control for which SectionPlane the 'Clip Display' status should be activated.
    Unfortunately this is restricted (by AutoCAD design) to a single SectionPlane, because in AutoCAD it is not possible anyway to have more than one SectionPlane with 'Live' status simultaneously.

Still, it will already be a nice improvement:
    using the 'Volume' status of a SectionPlane, one can drag various grips to adequately control the extents of the desired clip volume using just a single section plane.

Hans

I noticed that there is a front and back cutting planes, the only way to use them is to change the number in the field, is there another way that makes me see the the locations of the plans.

• Hans De Backer
    edited May 2017

Hi Bashar,
    not sure whether it is clear that what I wrote about in my posts here, concerns SectionPlanes, which are so much easier and more versatile than the severely restricted 3DCLIP approach.
    To make it easier to get some hands-on experience, I attached a sample drawing.
    It has been saved while a detail volume section is active.
    To see the rest of the model, just double click the 'Detail' section, or alternatively switch its 'Clip Display' property Off.
    Try the same with the other sample section planes in the drawing, and notice that multiple sections can be in clipped status simulaneously, and that you can move them to any desired location, providing real-time section feedback as you drag them...

Now for contrast, activate the 3DCLIP Front and Back clipping planes: no lids, the clipped geometry changes the moments you change the view, etc...

• pajohnston
    edited July 2018

As i have been told by the sales rep that native point cloud support in BricsCAD is being further developed, will the SectionPlane be able to clip point clouds? With Autodesk's transition from supporting PCG files to RCP files, model clipping is now handled with a separate utility between model geometry content and point cloud node data in AutoCAD. Will BricsCAD be able to handle content clipping of both point clouds and geometry with a single clipping utility? Either the SectionPlanes or in Camera Views?

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!