Creating a thread with helix and sweep

hello,

I am trying to create a thread and when i use the sweep command to run my thread profile(polygon) along the helix is rotates the profile upto 180 degrees. I have tried a number of different options within sweep but it still turns out the same. I have also tried converting the helix to spline and pline. Anyone got any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Could you attach a copy of your drawing to your next post? Or....give us all the parameters that you are using so we can attempt to duplicate the problem.

• Dan:
    I am new to BricsCAD and mostly testing it on 2D piping schematics but I took a moment out to test the 3D aspect of the program with your problem specifically in mind. This is what I was able to do using the Helix, Sweep, Extrude and Subtract commands. I had no problem with the Sweep command using the default "Path" option.

• Cyberdyne_T800
    edited May 2017

Hmm.....that attachment didn't quite work the way I planned. Let's try again. Well I got the .jpg to attach but I have no idea what the second distorted image is all about. Something strange going on.

• Two things to look at. When you run the sweep, ensure that you've used the Base point option to tell Sweep which point of your profile should follow the helix. Yes, even though you've placed the thread profile where you want it to be relative to the helix; sometimes Sweep has its own ideas about that and relocates your profile entity before sweeping it. Just using Base point will probably get your threading correct.

The other thing is the direction of the normal for your profile entity. In previous versions I seem to recall that some profiles behaved badly until they were flipped 180-deg. Might well have been coincidence combined with operator error, though.

• Strange. I had no problem creating the proper sweep despite not using the Base point option.

• Sometimes the extrude command works better than sweep if you choose the "path" option

• @Norbert Probst said:
    Sometimes the extrude command works better than sweep if you choose the "path" option

I second that, when sweep doesn't work usually extrude does the job.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!