Can't open AutoCAD-DWG in BricsCAD

avc
avc
edited May 2018 in 3D Modeling

My next attempt to replace the Autocad on Brics failed. Version 18, like the previous one, can not open 90% of my company's drawings. When I run a DWG file, a message appears about the erroneous drawing object. Most often this is AcDbViewRepModelSpaceSource. However, I can open these drawings using the Recover command. It is uncomfortable to use BrixCAD in this mode.
I think the problem is that all our drawings contain ModelDocumentation views created in Autocad 2017 and 2018. These views are not supported by the BricsCAD, but I was hoping that at least the new version of the program will be able to read and show them (not edit, of course). Some files BricsCAD can still open. It is a pity that they are very few, not more than 10%.
All DWG files are saved in the format 2013. I checked the drawings in AutoCAD. All versions of AutoCAD starting in 2013 open the files without errors. The Audit command does not show errors either.
Is there a way to open files made in AutoCAD?

Comments

• Suggest you log a support request and attach one of the drawing you have problems with. This way, the problem can be properly checked and commented on.
    https://www.bricsys.com/en-intl/support/

• This can happen if the drawings are from BIM software export to dwg.
    Recovering is the only solution if open fails and strangely, recover can find even no problems and then open the drawing.

• No. All the drawings were originally created in pure AutoCAD, without any add-ins (only ModelDoc). No export has ever been used.
    However, I found that if I delete all ModelDoc views and call Purge, then BricsCAD can open the drawing.
    I am attach an example

• @avc + @Stefaan Coddé:
    You should follow Per's advice and send in a Support Request so that the Bricsys team is made aware of these issues.

• Recover it. File>Drawing utilities>Recover.

• Yes, recover worked for me.

• Maybe someone knows how to configure the association of DWG files with the Recover command instead of the usual file opening? So that I can finally open the files from folders and from the mail.

• @avc said:
    Maybe someone knows how to configure the association of DWG files with the Recover command instead of the usual file opening? So that I can finally open the files from folders and from the mail.

I would try using Roy's BKG_Batch. It would allow you to batch run RECOVER over the problem drawings.

Per the others, would also recommend raising an SR. If it is a problem with BricsCAD it can't be investigated until you do.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited May 2018

@Jason Bourhill said:
    I would try using Roy's BKG_Batch. It would allow you to batch run RECOVER over the problem drawings.

That is not (yet) the case. BKG_Batch uses the vla-open function to open files.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:

@Jason Bourhill said:

That is not (yet) the case. BKG_Batch uses the vla-open function to open files.

Ok, so a batch call might be the way to go then.

I noticed recently that you can use the /LD switch to load LISP on startup, and this LISP will be opened with each document

start "My-BricsCAD" "C:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V18 en_US\bricscad.exe" /P "MyProfile" /LD "MyLISP.lsp"

Had previously only thought it could be used with scripts, and that it was only loaded once.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• It remains to think of how to transfer the name of the file from the command line to this Lisp.
    And of course come up with Lisp. It would be better just to run the command RECOVER with the parameter, than it is tormented with awful Lisp :)

• avc, this is indeed something Bricsys would be interested in fixing, and they are active unlike autodesk.
    While we could come up with tools to quickly delete the modeldoc views, that would not be the first choice as they must be useful (I have never used them so don't know).
    I have your drawing so will see how those are stored in the database.
    I don't think lisp will help here, either run by script, /ld, or startup "On_doc_load_default.lsp" as the drawing will not open unless recovered.
    Did you do the support request yet?
    I am interested in this too as I help companies switch and don't want land mines out there I might suddenly hit like you did.

• They are not as active as I would like. The problem was in the previous version of BricsCAD over a year ago and all that was required was to block the unnecessary error message. I did not write to support because I think it's more effective to address the community. And I think there are moderators officially representing Bricsys. Or no?

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited June 2018

FWIW:
    It is possible to use the WSH to create a temporary script and then start BricsCAD with that script. After editing the registry, the WSH file (a .js file) can be started by right-clicking a drawing file in the Windows Explorer and choosing 'Recover'.
    See the attached .zip file.

Note:
    You need to edit the .js file to set up the correct paths.

• Happened! Here it is a full-fledged solution to the problem. I had to tinker around with the folders in the script. I connected this script to Open. Now I can open any files in Brics right from the mail and browser. Terrific! Thank you so much!

• @avc said:
    Happened! Here it is a full-fledged solution to the problem. I had to tinker around with the folders in the script. I connected this script to Open. Now I can open any files in Brics right from the mail and browser. Terrific! Thank you so much!

You've established a partial workaround, not a solution. For this you would need to raise a support request with Bricsys to bring the problem to their attention!

From some limited testing with your file, I find that the file recovered file will open in BricsCAD, but will now cause AutoCAD to crash. You can't run RECOVER in AutoCAD to fix this problem. So you have a fix provided you never want to send it back to an AutoCAD user.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• I do not confirm this information. The file created in AutoCAD 2019 and restored in BricsCAD 18 I can successfully open in AutoCAD again. In some cases, AutoCAD proposes to call recovery. But there are no fatal errors. And after a single recovery in both programs, re-recovery is no longer required. I noticed strangeness if I edited the model alternately in AutoCAD and BricsCAD. But these are quite expected problems. Unfortunately, we can not use different programs in the same development team. Even different versions of AutoCAD are not compatible with each other. Switching to another program is always a huge problem...

• avc
    avc
    edited October 2018

I want to note that the error of opening dwg files is not fixed in V19 beta. After installing the new version, I had to associate the script with the dwg files again.
    Just in case, I will write again what the script file "BricsCADRecover.js" (by Roy Klein Gebbinck) should be:

// Update paths for BricsCADRecover.js, BricsCADRecover.scr and bricscad.exe
    // Registry command
    // HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Bricscad.load.dwg\shell\open\command
    // wscript.exe "C:\BricsCADRecover.js" "%1"

var fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
    var wsh = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell");
    var wsa = WScript.Arguments;
    var dwg = wsa(0);
    // WScript.Echo(dwg);
    var scr = "C:\TEMP\BricsCADRecover.scr"; // Write access required.
    var txtStr;
    if (fso.FileExists(scr))
    txtStr = fso.OpenTextFile(scr, 2);
    else
    txtStr = fso.CreateTextFile(scr);
    txtStr.Write("_recover" + "\n" + "\"" + dwg + "\"");
    txtStr.Close();
    wsh.Run("\"c:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V19 en_US\bricscad.exe\" //B " + "\"" + scr + "\"")
    WScript.Quit();

• FYI:
    BKG_Batch has been updated. The new version (20181025) will automatically use the _Recover command if required.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!