UCS along a path

fredericklim
edited January 2018 in 3D Modeling

In F360 I can set the sketch plane along a path. In BricsCAD I cannot figure how to make the UCS along a path.

[Update] I tried Rhino and found very easy to change the construction plane, but I failed to do that in BricsCAD to make the ucs XY plane perpendicular to a curve.

Comments

• Typing UCS at the command line will reveal a range of options to align to an object or my favorite the 3 point option.
    The icon for this command is available but is not the one used as default. you have to go looking for it in customize.

• @fredericklim said:
    In F360 I can set the sketch plane along a path. In BricsCAD I cannot figure how to make the UCS along a path.

[Update] I tried Rhino and found very easy to change the construction plane, but I failed to do that in BricsCAD to make the ucs XY plane perpendicular to a curve.

I dont think you can do this in bricscad, not the way you do it in rhino. in bricscad you can define the ucs plane for [Face/NAmed/Entity/Previous/View/X/Y/Z/Z Axis/Move/World]. the ucs plane you show in rhino is not a ucs along a path its a normal Plane following a path.
    to do this in bricscad, the easiest way is to draw a normal to your desired path use the ucs command pick the intersection point between path and normal, (origin Point UCS) then select the endpoint of the normal line (positive x direction) and then select a point in the Z direction from the origin point (positive y direction). the resulting z direction will be the direction of your path in the local point

• Hi Please check if this comply with what you need?
    option UCS, ZA

• @crpt2008 said:
    Hi Please check if this comply with what you need?
    option UCS, ZA

Thank you! learned something new. It will not work on a curve without the normal but its much easier!

• @fs_at12
    Yes, it should be UCS normal (z axis) follow the curve. I tried crpt2008 method but not sure how to get it work.

It is too difficult to determine a normal on a curve manually.

Attached is another Rhino screenshot, the white arrow of is the z axis of the new construction plane. I can move the mouse to any position of the spiral curve and the normal calculate automatically.

• Hi fredericklim
    I see what you mean, but as far as I know Bricscad don't do that (yet maybe).

Anyhow my "as far as I know" of this software is pretty limited... :D

• I have created a small Lisp program for this purpose: BKG_CurveAlignUcs.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    I have created a small Lisp program for this purpose: BKG_CurveAlignUcs.

Works like a charm. Thanks so much!

This discussion has been closed.