Need Flat shot of particular view V18

There has got to be a way to do this. I'm wanting an isometric view (for model space) of this rack but don't want to show the full length of the legs. I created a section plane that shows how I want the view but can't do a flatshot of it as it ignores the section plane "cut-off". See attached pic - I know about the generate drawing views command but that's for paper space. Bear with me please, I'm learning as I go.

Comments

• Hans De Backer
    edited January 2018

The section plane 'cut-off' is just clipping the display, the 3dsolids remain unmodified (that's why it is so fast), and that is why other commands like flatshot keep 'seeing' the unmodified 3d solids.

A command like SECTIONPLANETOBLOCK offers a 3d section type that allows to generate a sectioned 3d copy of your rack solids, which can in turn be used to create the flatshot from.

But in fact, this would be a perfect occasion to jump into the deep and start enjoying the additional possibilities offered by paper space ;-)
    Just click on a layout tab, most likely you will see some rectangular viewport on your model space.
    Double-click in that viewport to activate it, zoom and pan and rotate the view so you get the desired isometric view, and activate the sectionplane.
    Double-click outside the viewport to return from model space back to 'paper-space', so your view doesn't get modified inadvertedly.
    If you now print this layout, you will get the sectioned view as desired.

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2018

Hans, thanks a lot.

I am also completely green on Layouts.
    Just because you wrote it I tried and realized :
    I have to double click IN the Viewport, not on the VP border !

Do I get that right that I can work inside of my VP just like in Model Space ?
    And is there a way to get back to the previous VP View/Camera setting
    or lock the VP View if e.g. accidentally panning ?

• Thanks for the response Hans.

Paper space is just something I keep putting off (can't get my head around it) but it's apparent that approach is holding me back. I'll check out all the tutorials out there, hopefully it'll start sinking in.

• Hans De Backer
    edited January 2018

Using the view command, there are two types of view you can save (and restore): model space and paper space views.
    After double-clicking inside the (model)viewport, you can indeed work in your VP 'just like' in Model Space, because you are in model space at that moment. So if you save a view at that moment, it will be stored and listed as a Model view.

One of the properties of a viewport is 'Display locked', which will disallow any modifications to the view. To set viewport properties you have to select the viewport by clicking the viewport border.

Undo (Ctrl+Z) allows to go back to a previous view, that is, if meanwhile you did nothing else you want to keep...
    The easiest way is to save a couple of views that are of interest to you.
    In another forum post I provided a small toolbar that makes saving/restoring views a breeze, I copied that post below here:

The utilities.cui file attached to this post contains the definition of a custom 'Views' toolbar, created with the standard controls available in BricsCAD.
    To use it, place the .cui file in your Support folder ( key in "SUPPORTFOLDER" on the BricsCAD command line - it will open the folder in the Windows Explorer ).
    Then use the "CUI" command to open the Customization dialog, choose the "Load partial CUI file..." option from the menu in the left top corner, and load utilities.cui. Close the dialog by clicking the "Ok" button: if all went well, you now should see a floating toolbar named "Views".

Set the view as desired, click the "Save view" button on the toolbar and enter the desired name on the command line.
    The name of this new view is displayed in the View combo control of the toolbar.
    Select one of the default views from the combo: the view is changed accordingly. Then select your newly created custom view again and your new view is restored.

• Thanks Hans, I think I got it.
    That is really cool.

• crpt2008
    edited February 2018

Hi Tim
    Please check commands "solprof" and "flatshot" I guess that's the easy approach.

Hans that's a nice utilities. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.