RE:Update doors/windows

I realise there is no Block Editor in BricsCAD, but is there a way to update changes made in the base door drawing and reflect that in a model without having to reinsert, reflip and resize everysingle door in the whole project. A normal block can be altered with refedit, but doors?

Comments

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited March 2018

Windows and Doors in BricsCAD BIM are dwg's which are inserted in the model using the BimInsert command. This command creates a link between the insert and the parent solid. When you have edited the source dwg and you want an existing insert to update:
    1. Select the insert(s) in the model. This can be done by clicking the insert(s) in the model or selecting them in the Structure panel.
    2. In the Properties panel under Parameters: select the File property then click the Browse (...) button.
    3. In the File dialog box select the window/door file, double click or click the Open button.
    All parametric values of the existing inserts are preserved.
    This procedure can also be used to replace an insert by a different window/door.

• Brilliant thankyou sir, I was just having a mild panic attack, I created my first door inserted and adjusted multiple copies then realised I needed an alteration.
    Just as a note for future viewers the file property is empty at first but navigating to the correct folder and choosing the file works as described, and once altered the file name is populated into the property field.
    And I like that this also looks like an easy way to change just a few selected items for different versions, which I can see being really useful.

• @Steven_g:
    If you open one of the default BIM components you will see that its 'Insert as' property is set to 'Local component'. Inserting such a component results in a component instance that is not linked to a file. This explains the empty File field in the Parameters section of the Properties Bar.
    The procedure you have followed has turned the component instance into an external one. It may be undesirable having a mix of local and external BIM components.

• OK noted, hopefully in a few weeks I will have built up a library of Doors and Windows that actually work as I want so I won't need to swap anything, I just missed a few things on my first attempt and didn't spot it until there were a lot of them inserted.

• Steven, the BmLocalize command can turn all external components into local components. Type the command in the command line, then press Enter to accept the 'Entire Model' default option.

• Roy / Louis
    Is there any reading material on this subject, the help file doesn't go into any detail. Although I'm still basically just starting I'm looking ahead to see how maybe I can speed up this process using a script or VBA so any info on how these "blocks" work and the differences between external and local would be appreciated.

• @Steven_g:
    I am not aware of enhanced information, documentation and/or tutorials regarding this subject.
    If you are thinking of custom programming in relation to BIM you should first consider using the Lisp API. It contains a dedicated set of functions.

• I have to correct myself about the recommended procedure to update (replace) a window/door: the BmReplace command does the job, leaving the insert a local component. BmReplace is available in the Quad when a window or door is selected.
    Information about the difference between Local and External inserts can be found in the BricsCAD Help under User Guide / Mechanical / Components and Inserts.

• Thank you, I'll read up on that

This discussion has been closed.