BIM Components

Hello everybody,
I am starting to test Components with parametric 3D constrains (similar to the doors and windows ones). I need to model a stairs and I though would be a good start to first define a step that will be copied as needed. I habe no idea how to create a stair directly from the height difference between floors and the lenghts available so....

In the component I have defined the width (1.2m), the vertical (16cm) and the horizontal (28cm) components of the step as well the "body" of the stairs under the "triangular" step.
Here in the component file it seems is all working well but wehn i BMIMPORT the component in my main file and try to change these parameters I dont see any change in the geometry of the step (also with a component update).

Does anybody have an idea why is that or what should I correct?

If I take the Door_SingleSwing_1 component from the BricsCAD library as comparison I see that in the Properties Toolpalette there is a "BIM" section which I dont have and dont know how to add in my component. Any suggestions?

There are also some parameters listed in the "Structure" Menu, is that the reason why my component is not working? Why do I see those there?

Thankyou very much,
Lorenzo

Comments

• Hi Lorenzo,
    Sorry for the wrong link. i will answer you first thing tomorrow.
    Regards

• I need some more time to analyze.

• @Louis Verdonck said:
    I need some more time to analyze.

No worries :)

• Hi Lorenzo,

I didn't have time to look into your model, but I can show you an example of a simple parametric staircase.
    In the attached file 'step_with_riser.dwg' you can find one single step that already has a set of constraints assigned to it.
    This single step can be made into a parametric array, which is shown in 'stair_with_riser.dwg'. When the array is created, you can create a set of parameters and link them to both the array and the elements inside the array. Take some time to understand what the different parameters are and how they are used to ensure a correct floor-to-floor height, correct riser heights etc.

Kind regards,

Jacob

• Hello Jacob,

wow thats a big help! I tried to use your files as reference for my stair and is all good aside the fact that I can't see the parameters of the step in the stair file (under the Array).
    I think I created the files as BIMcomponent and you created them as normal files. I will look into that tomorrow.

For me is jsut a bit hard because all this is not very intuitive, there are many things that there are not written anywhere and is also hard to find tutorials. Like I said, I habe no idea if for such a task I have to draw into a normal file or a component one, I also find hard to see the difference.

Thanks a lot,
    Lorenzo

• Nice!
    This raises a question for me, is it possible to add accurate BIM data to something like this, I remember from a few months ago we had a Revit model and when it came to quantity take offs it turned out that a 20 storey building had one flight of stairs, I don't remember all the details but it was something to do with how it was modelled. Luckily we found it before the tender went out (M³ of concrete and formwork)

• Hei Steven,
    adding the BIM infos (Building, Story,...) would also something that I still need to figure it out.
    It would be nice to have some kind of tutorial for customized parts like stairs or railings.

• Dirk Van Thienen
    edited February 2018

Picking up this thread with a component problem i'm having.
    After making a simple cube with parameters I had a go at a parametric kitchen cabinet.
    Attached is a block with only WIDTH parameter and 2 rigid sets (l+r), this works fine (for width ).
    However, when i add 2 ridgid sets for bottom en top (height parameter) none of the parameters seems to work anymore.
    What am I doing wrong?
    thx!

BIM.zip 63.1K
  • Hi Dirk,

I had a look at your model, and it seems that you overconstrained it. The two solid faces that are included in the distance constraint 'Distance_4' are also included in 'RigidSet_8'. Thus, if you change the value W (i.e. the value of Distance_4), you will get a warning: 'Unsatisfied constraint detected'. This is because Distance_4 dictates a new distance between these two faces, but RigidSet_8 dictates that they don't change interdistance.
    The same goes for RigidSet_7: there are two side faces included (the small L-shaped faces) that are supposed to change interdistance when changing the value of W. If you exclude these faces from the rigid set, all should be fine.
    Bottom line: when creating constraints (and in particular Rigid Sets), be careful to only include those elements that are really necessary. Otherwise you will get situations that are not solvable and you will get into trouble.
    I attached the fixed drawing here.

Kind regards,
    Jacob

• @Jacobdesutter said:
    Take some time to understand what the different parameters are and how they are used to ensure a correct floor-to-floor height, correct riser heights etc.

Hi Jacob,
    Is there a way to capture the floor to floor height by snap/picking objects on the screen?

• Hi Jose,

As far as I know, currently the only way to assign values to component parameters is by entering them in the parameter value field in the properties panel. You can not assign parameter values by snapping to objects in the model.

Kind regards,
    Jacob

• @Jose Barzuna:
    @Jacobdesutter:

Here is a (somewhat convoluted) way to achieve this:

1. Create a temporary dimensional constraint for the floor to floor height.
    2. Enter the name of this constraint in the expression field of the parameter.
    3. Erase the temporary constraint. This will result in a new parameter.
    4. Erase the new parameter.
    5. Done.
This discussion has been closed.