Dataextraction

Each type of Bim classification has a 'reference' field in the properties palette, that seems like a logical place to put the material coding we use in our quantity take offs, why can't I get at it with dataextraction? Does anyone know of a way to add extra BIM data fields to elements so that no matter what it is it will come out into the same column in dataextraction, and more importantly that it will export to IFC. Ideally as assembly code or keynote

Comments

• Hello Steven,

Although the 'reference' property is shared between different BIM classification types, it exists in different property sets for each BIM classification type; eg for wall the reference property is in Pset_WallCommon, for beam the reference property is in Pset_BeamCommon. Currently, the unified properties and parameters of different entity types are not shown in the DataExtraction dialog. One possible workaround is to use another shared property, for example the BIM 'description' property. Note that this is a known issue, and we are working to improve it.

• Steven_g
    edited March 2018

Hi Tiemen
    I was afraid that would be the case, I already use the description for other properties, as well as the layer 'name' for yet more, I might just have to string properties together and split them out later in Excel. Is there a way to attach user parameters to objects directly or through the ply properties of compositions to get some extra fields that will extract under a common header.

• Hello Steven,

There is a way to attach custom properties to objects. Open the BIMPROPERTIES dialog, and add a property set with some property definitions in the 'User' namespace. Choose the applicable categories for the property set (eg. all the building core elements) and close the dialog. You can now assign values to the object properties using the properties panel. The custom properties will also be available for selection in the DATAEXTRACTION dialog.

• Steven_g
    edited March 2018

I had tried something along those lines last week, but didn't know about the categories, thankyou this helps a great deal, I had been looking at extended entity data over the weekend but this is much easier to work with.

Do you know if these also export to IFC?

• Do you know if these also export to IFC?

Yes, IFC export/import of custom properties is supported.

• Thank you that should help a lot.

• I'm trying this again, I can create the custom properties and they appear in the correct places in properties, but what I can't do is find how they are exported using dataextraction, they show in properties but appear nowhere in the dataextraction wizard. And although they do export to IFC, 'rooms' do not get exported to IFC

• Hello Steven,

The custom properties should appear in the DataExtraction wizard, but it might depend on the selected entities to extract data from.

IFC export of rooms should also be supported.

Can you please file a support request for these two problems?

This discussion has been closed.