Deleted / Missing solids after save

Tomass
edited April 2018 in 3D Modeling

I have encountered a problem with BricsCAD V18 MAC (30 day trial). I will spend time drafting solids, I will save my work frequently and also on exiting the session. Then later when I return to the file some of the objects / solids I have made are missing either in part or whole solid objects. The objects are not overly complex, but they are comprised of unions of solids as well as chamfers / fillets ect. The loss of these objects is not always chronological. For example I will make objects "A", "B", & "C" in that order. Object "B" might go missing but objects "A" & "C" remain, as well as the 2D construction lines that I made to create object "B". What is going on? I am looking at buying this program, but if this is a frequent occurrence I will look elsewhere. Is there a polygon limit? Or do I need to save in a particular version?

Comments

• I haven't had (or noticed) any Solids missing on any Mac Version so far.
    But used Boolean Subtractions only and had no complex Solids.

And it can't be any Visibility issue solved by Unhide All or all Layers ON,
    they have gone for sure ?

• That's ... weird. I can say that I've never seen this type of behavior on the Windows side and I've been using Brics for years.

Strongly recommend that you open a Support Request and attach the offending drawing to the SR.

My "always try this first" suggestion would be to create and use a new user profile with default settings and start with a vanilla drawing. I've occasionally worked myself into a corner with "Hmm, I wonder what this setting does" and then two weeks later "Hmmm, why is this behaving strangely?" (Launch default profile) "Oh, yeah. Whoops."

• Michael Mayer
    edited April 2018

Another Bricscad option for user failure is that you can select and
    potentially delete things that are not visible on screen.

But this :

@Tomass said:
    are missing either in part or whole solid objects.

makes me wondering a bit.

• @Michael Mayer said:
    I haven't had (or noticed) any Solids missing on any Mac Version so far.
    But used Boolean Subtractions only and had no complex Solids.

And it can't be any Visibility issue solved by Unhide All or all Layers ON,
    they have gone for sure ?

All layers are on, visible and unlocked.
    Double checked the unhide commands and it confirmed, no objects hidden.

• @Richard Webb said:
    That's ... weird. I can say that I've never seen this type of behavior on the Windows side and I've been using Brics for years.

Strongly recommend that you open a Support Request and attach the offending drawing to the SR.

My "always try this first" suggestion would be to create and use a new user profile with default settings and start with a vanilla drawing. I've occasionally worked myself into a corner with "Hmm, I wonder what this setting does" and then two weeks later "Hmmm, why is this behaving strangely?" (Launch default profile) "Oh, yeah. Whoops."

I will be starting a support ticket.

• Tomass
    edited April 2018

@Michael Mayer said:
    Another Bricscad option for user failure is that you can select and
    potentially delete things that are not visible on screen.

But this :

@Tomass said:
    are missing either in part or whole solid objects.

makes my wondering a bit.

I'd love to say that it's user failure. But I'm fairly positive it's not. In 20+ years of using CAD programs i have never encountered anything like this. Either by program bug or my own stupidity.

Further I have had it happen now in both Windows 10 and a MAC OS-blah in 2 separate models from 3 different save sessions.

• I wouldn't exclude a possible Bug in Bricscad at all.
    But an interesting one.

In Vectorworks Forum it is easier, beside real Bugs,
    asking for Class/Layer Visibility + too far from File Origin +
    wrong GPU or driver + Unified View OFF
    helps in 90% of all problems :)

• Here is an example of what's happening. Some of the objects save and some do not. The "finished" tank turret on the far right is a single solid object. Compare the 2 images and you can see what is saving and what is not. I can't even copy the turret to a new drawing. All that will copy apear when I paste it in a new DWG is a line and circle I have used for reference when drawing. The turret will however correctly export as a STL.

• @Michael Mayer said:
    I wouldn't exclude a possible Bug in Bricscad at all.
    But an interesting one.

In Vectorworks Forum it is easier, beside real Bugs,
    asking for Class/Layer Visibility + too far from File Origin +
    wrong GPU or driver + Unified View OFF
    helps in 90% of all problems :)

Sorry I don't understand what you're telling me to do.

• ^ I am pretty sure there is something wrong,
    so a support request is always a good idea.

• And the layer is not frozen instead of on/off ?
    Used this since V1 never happened to me either.
    Try finding your .sv$ files and check them.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!