Upside down

Hi folks, I am trying to teach an old dog new tricks (I have been mostly hand drafting residential projects for the last 40+ years, with occasional forays into Sketchup, illustration programs, etc.)
So I have tried a few things in Shape, and am now trying to bring one into V18Platinum/BIM (trial) . If I can get from modeling existing, adding new, to construction drawings, Ill be happy. So while I have read most of the manual, and understand most concepts, etc, my CAD knowledge is decidedly thin.

So to the immediate issue. The attached drawing is a (rough) shape model of an existing modest house, combined with a shape model of proposed construction, brought into v18. The two initial models were not orientated the same way, so I flipped and flopped UCS, etc to get them aligned, and north up in plan view.

Everything looks ok until I try and generate views. It gives me a ceiling view rather than a plan view, a nice view of the bottom of my floor - and I suspect the sun is buried in the center of the earth.

Where did I go wrong, or more importantly, how do I fix it. TYIA

File is 8mb. Any workflow tips appreciated.
Michael

Comments

• Hello Michael,

to generate BIM sections, the suggested command is BIMSECTION.
    The VIEWBASE command you found is geared towards mechanical projects, not buildings.
    In the attached drawing I removed the drawing views that were generated using viewbase, and purged the large hidden blocks used by such views.

Instead, I added a couple of bimsections to put you on your way: they have a blueish color and reside on layer BIM_SECTIONS.
    Just double-click one or more of these sections to see them in action: the display of your model will be clipped accordingly.

Use the BIMSECTIONUPDATE command to generate the drawings for these sections, by default the drawings will be placed in the same folder as the model, 'lucy.dwg', along with an automatically generated sheetset.
    In the chapter on BIM in the user guide: https://www.bricsys.com/bricscad/help/en_INTL/CurVer/UsrGui/index.html
    you will find detailed information about BIM Sections.

• Thank you very much, that helps a bunch. I am guessing I should assign some materials and compositions next.

I have a somewhat related question on workflow. Here in western USA, most residential projects are wood framed. In this model I modeled the floor as a slab, deep enough to accommodate plywood and wood joists, whereas I modeled the big roof with individual framing members and layers for gypsum board, plywood, rigid insulation, etc. So, for example, to show floor framing I could add that information 'manually' to the section cuts, plan, etc. and just use the material/composition for layered info (insulation, plywood subfloor, finish floor - or go back and model in the individual joists, as I did for the rafters. So my question at some level is how much to model, and how much to add later to 2d views. So in my example, to show an insulated floor or ceiling, I would set the floor plys to insulation, subfloor and finish floor, and draw in the joists in section, dash lines/or direction callout on plans - or in the case of the roof, add the insulation between the rafters manually. Drawing conventions bear on this in some degree, as, for example, nobody shows framing members in walls, where as it is common to do so in floors. But the larger question is how do you show situations that are a combination of planer and linear elements.

Other than my learning curve, I am excited about the Shape/v18 combo. Definitely a better modelling environment than Sketchup, and with a real drafting platform. Other than "how long will it take for me to get up to speed" my other concern was about the forum activity and whether there are enough folks using Shape/Bricscad and talking about it to find answers to my questions. Your quick reply has releaved that fear considerably.
    Michael

This discussion has been closed.