Repository Updates

Having just downloaded the latest .deb update package, I'm wondering if working through the various Linux update repository structures is in the overall plan anywhere.

I have found the synaptic update process very handy, and unless I'm missing something, it seems like it's something that Bricsys could avail of, possibly reducing the overall size of download needed with each program update.

Comments

• This is really desirable function for users, please Bricscad provide official repository for your customers.

• Currently we have no plans to publish BricsCAD in distribution-specific repositories.

It surely would be convenient.
    We have considered this before, and it seems like it would require a considerable effort on every BricsCAD update.
    To do this properly it looks like we would have to rebuild BricsCAD on every Ubuntu flavour.
    It also seems harder to do this for a commercial closed-source application.

This is not within easy reach for us.

• @Tijs Vermeulen said:
    Currently we have no plans to publish BricsCAD in distribution-specific repositories.

We have considered this before, and it seems like it would require a considerable effort on every BricsCAD update.
    To do this properly it looks like we would have to rebuild BricsCAD on every Ubuntu flavour.

Using appimage, flatpak or snaps would solve the rebuild issue. I would personally recommend appimage. No need to compile BricsCAD for a whole bunch of Linux Distros. appimage.org/

• Why not make a snap package and cover a wide range of Linux Distributions? It would only be fair when you advertise Bricscad working on all platforms.

• @Benjamin Conder said:

@Tijs Vermeulen said:
    Currently we have no plans to publish BricsCAD in distribution-specific repositories.

Using appimage, flatpak or snaps would solve the rebuild issue. I would personally recommend appimage. No need to compile BricsCAD for a whole bunch of Linux Distros. appimage.org/

Today I read an interesting article about Flatpack.
    It is out of Beta in V1.0 now.

For me that sounds very reasonable for my "proprietary" non open source Apps
    like Bricscad or Modo.

(I still haven't found my Linux Distro for life)

• Yup I have asked for a snap as well.

This discussion has been closed.