London "Forum"

This is a call to all users who are going to the London conference, I posed a question to the people at Bricscad and asked if they could set aside an area where we can hold a "live forum" event, nothing fancy my thoughts where probably to have it set around the lunch period on one or both days, ("who can eat for an hour and a half") somewhere a group of us that hang out here at the forums can get together and hopefully answer questions from people who are at the conference, or at the very least just get to know each other a bit better.

Anyway to my horror they said yes, so if anyone would like to come and join me and offer some moral support then drop a note here, lets see how much space we might need. The details need to be organised but it should be just an informal event, has anyone experienced anything like this? and could give a few hints about how you have seen it happen elsewhere.

Comments

• Suggest you reach out to Steve Johnson https://www.cadnauseam.com/. He is going to be there and has prior experience with running user groups. I'm going to be attending too, and would be happy to try and answer user questions if I can.

It would be interesting to gather user queries/comments from this forum. Then post back the discussion at the conference. Allow for a wider engagement than to just those that can attend.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• That sounds like a good idea, thats what I like about forum discussion the openness, so yeah I was going to post a brief review here after the conference, probably not word for word, but give people an idea of how it goes and the types of things discussed.

• Hi Steven, I have replied to your email, please look out for it.

• OK replied, I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

• I will be there also. Let me know when you publish some plans for this.

• We got a mention on BricsCAD Unplugged.
    Add a comment if you'll be joining us, maybe have some questions or will just be attending the conference.

• Looks like we are in the Sugar room 13.30 to 14.30

• I'm in - but not quite sure what it is?! A mutual-help get-together, or us putting questions to experts? Or both?

• No it's you answering questions from fellow users :) , To be honest it's going to depend on who shows up, maybe just a group of users sharing how we do things in CAD, if anyone reading this thread has a question or suggestion about a topic they want to learn more about that would be a great start, or just find out how we each use CAD on a daily basis

• Sounds excellent.

Still up for an eve meal out on the Tues 23rd? Any other takers for that?

• Yeah I've been looking online for places to go around the area, I've been meaning to put a few ideas onto that thread see what people think.

• I just had a message from Sander Scheiris of Bricscad, they have assigned us the "Sugar room" and will also let us have use of a 50" monitor for this user group. They also are going to email all the people attending letting them know about this (and the other events). I still see this as an informal get together and "see what happens" but I will possibly prepare something to show people tips on how to use CAD forums in general, the type of details and information they should start with. And also a quick run down of my general working day / workflow it would be nice to see how other people approach similar tasks. It's only an hour but that should give us a starting point if it's needed.

If anyone else would like to prepare something that would be great. It's only two weeks away now!

• I cd do a little presentation of my 2D architectural workflow

Attached is screenshot of a typical Modelspace arrangement.

The top row is four instances of the same block, rotated to suit the four elevational orientations, so I can project Xlines down the page, to construct elevations, sections etc.
    the second row and the fourth, fifth and last likewise.
    Each block is a large drawing, a full floorplan, which gets constantly modified and added to by opening any one of its instances in REFEDIT then close/saving when done, and all instances update identically.

• Tom Foster
    edited October 2018

• Sounds good, if you could prepare something that should take 5 to 10 minutes, it gives time for discussion as well.

This discussion has been closed.