snapping to polyline

Probably I'm overlooking a setting somewhere ...

Draw a long polyline and give it some width. Now draw a normal line of the same lenght. Zoom in so that the end points are no longer in view. Lastly draw a square of any size. Using the MOVE command reposition the square by grabbing a corner and putting it perpendicular to the line. No problem, right? Now do the same thing but instead try to move it to being perpendicular to the polyline, or any other snapping to the polyline that doesn't envolve the endpoints of the polyline.
Can you do it?
I can't. The only way that any kind of snapping seem to be able to occur to a polyline is when both the end points of that polyline is viewable.
Another way to test it is by zooming in to the polyline and drawing a circle and trying to use snap to tangeant to the polyline to determine the diameter of the circle.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a setting I'm overlooking?
Or is this intended behaviour?

Comments

• Never mind. Found it, I think.

Dragsnap needs to be 1.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited September 2018

I can confirm the issue. But I do not think it is related to the DRAGSNAP setting. For snapping at least one edge AND the center of a 'wide' polyline must fall inside the snap aperture (change the APBOX setting to display the aperture). Not sure if this is intended and/or compatible, but it can indeed be confusing.

• Strange it works for me, when I hover over the center of a wide polyline, but in Autocad it works when I hover over either edge of a wide polyline and not over the center.

• Can confirm behavior described in last two messages.

This discussion has been closed.