Beginner Tutorial

Hi everyone. Can someone please tell me if there is a 'Ground Up' tutorial for beginners? I have previously used my husbands AutoCad but am struggling from the get-go with BricsCAD. I'm using Mac OS Vers 10.12. I was used to setting up my drawing limits and layers palette before putting down a single line but can't even get passed that so far with BricsCAD. Before you say anything, I'm studying Bio-Med Science and Medical Imaging at QUT so I DO have half a brain. I've searched and can only find fragmented and task specific tutorials for BricsCAD. I'd even pay for it if one was available that would explain the actual setup process in specific detail. From that point self education is simple. I can guarantee that if I asked someone who has used a camera, to take a specific slice using a CT scanner without instructing them on the basic set up process, they would be scratching their heads fairly quickly. BricCAD looks like a fantastic piece of software but for someone who is extremely time poor, it leaves a large void in its tutorial library for beginners,
Hope someone can help.
Cheers, MandyT

Comments

• Per Gogstad
    edited September 2018

Hi Mandy,

Check out this - https://lessons.bricsys.com/courses/

It also might be that these introduction videos can help you.

BricsCAD in 5 minutes - Customize the User Interface - https://youtu.be/Zv2u_FubJ10

BricsCAD in 5 minutes - Settings, Drawing Explorer, Customize - https://youtu.be/Ndu6-tGB4Z4

BricsCAD in 5 minutes - Quad Cursor - https://youtu.be/0gZQVEJhyHg

• Thanks for your help Per, but............... I've looked at the BricsCAD in 5 mins videos previously and while some of the info is helpful it isn't really 'step specific' whereas your first suggested link is a lot more step specific BUT.............. I was unable to complete the very first lesson because my 2018 version of BricsCAD was unable to mirror the steps required in the video. My work space 'Drawing' tab does not have a + sign beside it, my 'Command Line' bar does not have a close (x) icon, my Dims tool bar wouldn't dock vertically parallel beside the Daw toolbar as shown in the video, would only dock below it and loose half of the dim icons and the 'Properties' tool bar would dock correctly either according to where the video instructed. I sent an email to the support dept of the video provider and I'm yet to receive a reply. I might start asking around the uni for an alternative option. Very disappointing that something you would assume to be so simple and readily available, is not.

• Per Gogstad
    edited October 2018

Hi Mandy,

What you tell is missing sounds very strange. If you are working on the full version of BricsCAD V18, it should all be there.

If you feel you have things missing in the full BricsCAD user interface, I would reset all to default and get what is missing back again. You can type customize in the command bar or click on Tools > Customize and then Revert to Defaults. Also make sure you have downloaded the latest version of BricsCAD V18 from www.bricsys.com

Since you are working on Mac, it might be some differences compared to the functionality and user interface you see in the demos. The majority of BricsCAD users are on Windows.

• Michael Mayer
    edited October 2018

@MandyT said:
    My work space 'Drawing' tab does not have a + sign beside it, my 'Command Line' bar does not have a close (x) icon,

Everything as you said on Mac.
    Access these from Menu :

• File : New File
    • View : Command Line (on/off)

my Dims tool bar wouldn't dock vertically parallel beside the Daw toolbar as shown in the video, would only dock below it and loose half of the dim icons and the 'Properties' tool bar would dock correctly either according to where the video instructed.

You can try :
    right click on a top icon, the Popup Menu to open/close Panels has
    "ToolBar Actions" on top (Mac only)
    This could help to orient Palettes correctly for docking (?) vertically or horizontally.

And don't forget the LOCKUI button down in Status Bar.
    This now works since latest releases.
    If active, helps to prevent accidentally destroying Palette docking.
    Hold CMD while dragging Palettes, to temporarily ignore an active LOCKUI.

Bricscad Mac UI is still not very stable,
    while playing with Dim Palette docking I was easily freezing parts of the UI.
    (Needed restart)
    UI changes could also provoke crashes, mostly when closing Bricscad.

And there are some issues with latest BC Mac and Mojave,
    like when opening Bricscad with the welcom dialog,
    you won't see anything appearing beside BC's cursor.
    You have to switch to another App and back to show BC Window.
    (I use different Apple's screen "Spaces")
    Better wait a bit before upgrading macOS

Yes, these issues make it really hard to learn a new CAD.
    But that's how it is for now,
    BC Mac experience so far is quite another level than on Windows.

• Thank you all for your advices. Will update with the results as soon as I get a chance to screen test your advice.
    Thanks again, MandyT.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!