wxString in acutPrintf

Hi,
I got wxString from wxTextCtrl and try to print it acutPrintf(_T("\n%s."), input->GetLineText(0));
only some chines hieroglyphs are written.

General question.
Which way is best to deal with different strings? wxString AcString std::string
because wxWidgets use wxString
BRX SDK use AcString
Some other libs use std::string

Comments

• The string returned is a class-string : be it wxString, AcString, CString etc.;
    but all the "printf" formatting options extect a string pointer, and not all classes do provide an automatic conversion/casting ....

So the most correct solution for wxString :
    acutPrintf(_T("\n%ls"), input->GetLineText(0).c_str());

similar for AcString : that has ::kwszPtr();
    and CString has similar as well ...

And all those string classes provide constructors using Unicode plain string pointer (const wchar_t*) ...
    so you can easily "convert" from one string class to another, using the target's class wchar_t based CTor, given the source string .c_str(), or .kwszPtr() etc.

Note the "%ls", because it is entirely Unicode ! "%s" is for ANSII string, will result in gabage output !
    (probably, in your code sample, using the correct "%ls" can be sufficient, I think MSVC recognises the casting operation from wxString)

hope this helps ?

• I did not knew %ls it may been a problem. Because if I entered 10 length string acutPrintf printed good if I entered less I got garbage.
    kwszPtr() is hard to remember.

• Also, please keep in mind, that BricsCAD (and therefore all the integrated APIs) use Unicode strings ... hence, your wxWidgets build must be Unicode, and all string literals should use the _T("....") notation (for non-WX code), resp. wxT("....") for WX-based code;
    wxStrign can handle both, but automatic ANSI/Unicode conversion can sometimes be problematic, and sometimes the compiler might chose the ANSI version of a wxStrign member function, when the Unicode version is intended
    (then, no conversion will happen, resulting in garbage strings ...)

many greetings !

• DonatasAzaravičius
    edited November 2018

Thanks.

P.S.
    It looks here some problems by using wxWidgets 3.1.1 so I changed to 3.0.4 version and no problem.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!