Add x/y/z displacement AFTER selecting destination point.

On a copy/move there are times I want to specify a destination PLUS an offset to that destination.

Example : Adding horizontal members to a vertical member where placement is a series of Z's like 1", 12", 20", 36", etc - random distances from (0,0,0)
What I'm doing is a copy to the 0,0,0 snap and then doing a move to 0,0,1
then another copy to the 0,0,0 snap and doing a move to 0,0,12
then another copy to the 0,0,0 snap and doing a move to 0,0,20

This is tedious. The antique CAD package I'm coming from did this with just one copy to multiple 0,0,0 destinations PLUS the different Z offsets.

Is there an easier way?

Comments

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited December 2018

In your case it is probably more efficient to create a temporary original at 0,0,0 and then just use the _Copy command to create multiple copies of that object. Alternatively you can use temporary tracking points.

• Another option:
    __CopyBase and then multiple times Ctrl+V (_PasteClip).

• The Manipulator supports the desired workflow:
    Select this horizontal member by keeping the mouse button down slightly longer, so the Manipulator will appear.
    Its initial location will be on a vertex close to the location where you clicked, if desired it can easily be relocated or realigned.

Keep the Ctrl key pressed so a copy will be created of the manipulated object, and move it to the desired initial location using the manipulator controls. The manipulator will be relocated along to this new location.

Then, click the Z axis of the manipulator to start moving this first copy along the Z direction, and press the 'c' key + Enter on the keyboard,
    which will trigger the 'copy' modus to place multiple copies at any desired location along the Z axis.

The manipulator's ruler will make picking the desired location easy. The 0-reference of the ruler will be positioned at the first copy.
    If the ruler steps are not 'fine' enough, either zoom in to trigger the appearance of smaller ruler marker steps, or use the dynamic dimension field to key in the Z values.

• @Hans De Backer said:
    click the Z axis of the manipulator to start moving this first copy along the Z direction, and press the 'c' key + Enter on the keyboard,
    which will trigger the 'copy' modus to place multiple copies at any desired location along the Z axis.

Didn't know that !
    That is a great tip.

(Would be great,
    (for larger (hidden) Solids, or multiple selected items)
    where you have to start the Manipulator from Quad,
    if it would appear at any Solid's vertex or edge - that is currently visible
    in screen view - instead of the center as it would save from extra zoom
    actions to catch and move it where you need)

• @Hans De Backer

I'm evaluating BricsCAD, so don't have a lot of experience in it or any other sophisticated CAD package. Only used primitive CyCas for 12 years.

Turned the Manipulator On (1) and played with it.
    Very Nice tool. Does what I need.
    Not having to explicitly specify a move or copy is a bonus; just grab the axis indicator and go.

Thank You for the education.

• Hans De Backer
    edited December 2018

That is a great tip.

Oh, then I might have another one: besides the 'c' key for making multiple copies at varying offsets, there is also the 'r' key to trigger the 'repeat' modus for making copies repeating the offset as specified for the first copy - you'll see the copies appear/disappear as you drag the cursor back and forth.

(Would be great, (for larger (hidden) Solids, or multiple selected items)
    where you have to start the Manipulator from Quad,
    if it would appear at any Solid's vertex or edge - that is currently visible in screen view -
    instead of the center as it would save from extra zoom actions to catch and move it where you need)

Start by selecting the desired (sub)entity so that the manipulator appears at the desired initial location.
    Then select the other items, e.g. by dragging a window around them: they will be added to the selection and the manipulator will remain at its initial location.

• I am totally lost now.
    I was happy I could use Manipulator with STRG to copy.
    I reapeated manually that way.
    Now at least I get it it to also work with C+Enter(!) to go on copying.

I tried "R" for the standard Copy Tool and it works for me.
    (BTW, I did some repeated Solid copies - which did cut unwanted holes
    in all Solids where they were overlapping !?)

But I don't get "R" to work with the Manipulator.

I remember that the real "R" only worked with BIMDRAG for me in the past.
    I tried again - it lost the Copy (STRG) Option in v19 ?
    What are the new BIMDRAG options ?
    Is it the same that appears in Prompt (Enable or Disable Connectivity)
    And how does that work ?
    I see no difference, it destroys my BIM Connections.

Start by selecting the desired (sub)entity so that the manipulator appears at the desired initial location.

That was not possible when the the desired object is occluded by other objects,
    that is why I had to select it from somewhere else (or by TABing through
    element selection) and open Manipulator from Quad.

• @Michael Mayer
    The 'c' and 'r' options were added in V19 - is that the version you're using?
    Oh, perhaps you are referring to the Manipulator control that has been integrated in a few commands to make entering distances easier?
    If you think something doesn't function properly, can you please file a support request, that would be really helpful to get the problem solved in the most efficient ( = fastest) way.

By the way: can you help me discover what this 'STRG' thing is?

• I meant the key at the bottom left of the keyboard.
    STRG or CTRL on Mac.
    :)

Yes, I worked in v19 (Windows)
    I try to get used to it a bit before I start my SRs.
    I will try again with C and R.

• Aha ha - on my UK kb it's also CTRL (non Mac). Was on my to-do list to figure out what clever 4-option command STRG was acronym for! It looked interesting. How about searching and editing your several previous mentions?!

• And I always thought that is the differentiation between Mac and Windows.
    One has CTRL while the other has STRG.
    Where CTRL = control makes some sense while STRG in german Steuerung
    makes also sense but international STRG would be a string (?)

• Or Struggle?

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!