Annoyance with dmRotate and subtract

If I dmmirror a solid, it asks if I want to keep or delete the original. Great!
If I dmrotate a solid, it gets rid of the original without giving me an option. Is there some variable I can set or key I can press to tell it I want to keep the original exactly where it is? The Command Reference offers no help in this regard.

If I subtract a solid from another solid, it gets rid of one of the solids and the overlap between the solids. I want it to just get rid of the overlap on one of the solids but leave both solids. Is there a way to do this?
In the attached image, I have 2 pieces of angle iron drawn in such a way that one is inside the other. I want to get rid of the overlap in one of them to produced what's called a coped joint.

Comments

• Kerry Brown
    edited January 2019

Have you tried SUBTRACT as documented ?
    That should allow for any internal radius as well.

added:
    I didn't understand

drawn in such a way that one is inside the other.

so I assumed you're using poetic license.

• @Kerry Brown

You lost me on the poetic license.

Yes, I've used subtract. In the image, if I subtract the right angle iron from the left, it does cope the left which is the intent, but it gets rid of the entire right angle iron. I want to keep the right angle iron exactly where it is and only get rid of the overlap on the left angle iron.

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2019

There are settings in Settings that determine how the subtracting part
    behaves, keep or delete.
    I think deleting was the default setting. i prefer to keep the cutting element.

Not sure about the copy option for rotation.
    As there are often different and redundant tools, old and newer versions
    for direct modeling.
    The newer tools often have a copy option by holding CTRL or with
    these onscreen CTRL switch tool options.

For me it is often easier to just copy + paste in place before the command ....

• @Michael Mayer

I found the setting in Settings and it works. I didn't think of having to go to settings to flip a switch. I figured there must be a key or command that would do it. Thanks for the information.

I'll hunted around in Settings to see if anything looks interesting for any form of 'rotate' but came up empty.

• That's why I mentioned the documentation on SUBTRACT.

https://help.bricsys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006602134-Subtract

• Kerry Brown
    edited January 2019

@RoatanBill said:
    If I dmrotate a solid, it gets rid of the original without giving me an option. ...

@RoatanBill
    I'm using Version 19.1.07 (x64) revision 58445
    Which build are you using? I can't find DMMirror in the commands or in the Docs.

Regards,

• @Kerry Brown

I had that page open and missed that variable.
    Good to know. I'll experiment with it to see if it will work with rotating things. Thank you very much.

• @Kerry Brown

I'm using V18, and I messed up the original post. It's plain Mirror.
    Sorry about the confusion.

• @RoatanBill said:
    If I dmrotate a solid, it gets rid of the original without giving me an option. Is there some variable I can set or key I can press to tell it I want to keep the original exactly where it is? The Command Reference offers no help in this regard.

If I subtract a solid from another solid, it gets rid of one of the solids and the overlap between the solids. I want it to just get rid of the overlap on one of the solids but leave both solids. Is there a way to do this?
    In the attached image, I have 2 pieces of angle iron drawn in such a way that one is inside the other. I want to get rid of the overlap in one of them to produced what's called a coped joint.

Perhaps try using the Manipulator? Holding the CTRL key down with the manipulator will create a copy, retaining the original.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

Come to the Australasia BricsCAD Conference

• ScottS
    edited January 2019

I don't know of such an option for dmrotate. However, here is another way:

If you select a solid (or any entity, or entities), grips will appear. Then left click to select any one of the grips. Now you are in *** STRETCH *** mode, and there are some options [Base point/Copy/Undo/eXit] if you look at the command line. Additionally, a hidden option is to press the spacebar, which cycles through *** MOVE ***, *** ROTATE ***, and *** SCALE *** modes, each with the same options. So you can type 'C' to access *** ROTATE (multiple) *** mode that lets you make copies, rotating about the grip point you had selected, or type 'B' to select a different pivot point. Hit esc, enter, spacebar, right click, or 'X' to exit the command.

(Note, I believe with 3D solids *** STRETCH *** acts the same as *** MOVE ***)