bmBrowser no longer available to BricsCAD Mechanical customers?

Jim Canale
edited February 2019 in BricsCAD Mechanical

I've been creating mechanical assemblies and making full use of the Assembly toolbar. The first button on the toolbar runs the command, "bmBrowser" which brings up the mechanical browser. From this browser we can add standard parts, see sheet metal parameters, 3D constraints, etc. We did not pay for BIM support this year, because we do not design buildings and infrastructure. Still, I am surprised the bmBrowser was taken away from us in V19, because it is such an important part of mechanical assemblies. Comments?

Comments

• Per Gogstad
    edited February 2019

This means that you have Platinum V19? As far as I can see, you should then have the Mechanical Browser if you right-click on the menu bar. It is also a command called MECHANICALBROWSEROPEN. it is also a command called MECHANICALBROWSERCLOSE

• Yes, Platinum V19. bmBrowser used to bring up a panel with two tabs. One contained the parts library, and the other, the assembly structure / sheet metal parameters/ etc. Now I apparently have two separate panels. One invoked by bmHardware, and the other by right clicking on the menu bar and selecting "mechanical Browser". The Mechanical Browser button in the Assembly toolbar doesn't work anymore. It tells me I don't have the correct license. I wish I knew how to customize the button to bring up both panels.

• Per Gogstad
    edited February 2019

I guess that some of what you are looking for might be in BricsCAD V19 Mechanical. In V18 you had Platinum + Sheet Metal, but in V19 you don't have Sheet Metal but a Mechanical edition that includes the Sheet Metal tool sets.

https://bricsys.com/en-intl/mechanical/

Suggest you get in touch with your Bricsys/BricsCAD representative to discuss.

• @Per Gogstad said:
    I guess that some of what you are looking for might be in BricsCAD V19 Mechanical. In V18 you had Platinum + Sheet Metal, but in V19 you don't have Sheet Metal but a Mechanical edition that includes the Sheet Metal tool sets.

https://bricsys.com/en-intl/mechanical/

Suggest you get in touch with your Bricsys/BricsCAD representative to discuss.

I opened the license manager to see what the IT manager installed and see that we have Platinum, Mechanical, and Communicator. The Mechanical says it includes assembly and sheet metal. The sheet metal has been a separate license.

• If you have V19 Platinum, Mechanical, and Communicator, you should have all what you need. It must be something else not working. I had some problems since I have been testing what is available on lower levels, Classic and Pro, and Platinum and Mechanical didn't reset for me.

I then went to Settings, and searched RUNASLEVEL and made sure that it all was set to run with all the active licenses I have. You should have Platinum, Mechanical and Communicator activated in the settings. See the screenshots of how my settings are now.

Another thing, If you have customized a button in the Assembly toolbar to run the "bmBrowser" command. That command is not valid anymore and the command for the button should be changed to MECHANICALBROWSEROPEN. But if you also want to open the Components library, that command is COMPONENTSPANELOPEN.

• Checked RUNASLEVEL. Everything set there. Still no bmBrowser.

• It is not called bmBrowser anymore. It is Mechanical Browser - MECHANICALBROWSEROPEN and Components - COMPONENTSPANELOPEN.

• Jim Canale
    edited February 2019

No, the command is still there, it just expects a BIM license. I hate having two open windows. The old browser had two tabs. Would be nice if I could toggle them both on and off with one tool button.

• I suppose the reason can be the old CUI file. After every new installation and the first program start you usually have to see the message about the update of .cui file.
    Try to click by right mouse button on any toolbar/ribbon and choose Customize. In the customization dialog use left bottom button (manage your customizations... ) Then use "revert to default" on the bottom part of the dialog.

ATTENTION: this will revert all your GUI customization to default!

• "After every new installation ... you usually have to see the message about the update of .cui file"
    That's been removed AFAIK - so now no guidance on update procedure.

• @Ilya Tatarnikov said:
    I suppose the reason can be the old CUI file. After every new installation and the first program start you usually have to see the message about the update of .cui file.
    Try to click by right mouse button on any toolbar/ribbon and choose Customize. In the customization dialog use left bottom button (manage your customizations... ) Then use "revert to default" on the bottom part of the dialog.

ATTENTION: this will revert all your GUI customization to default!

I don't get to install the updates, so I'm not aware of any messages. At one time or other, I was told not to make changes to the main CUI, and instead to apply customizations to a partial CUI. Never got that working properly. So my main CUI's have been saved to our network, and carried over from version to version. I'm not going back to the default CUI until someone explains in detail how to use the partial for customizations.

• There's a big silence on that!

• I'm not going back to the default CUI until someone explains in detail how to use the partial for customizations.

A partial CUI file, when you create one,
    by default just exists in the same folder beside the default.cui.
    It is basically the same as the default CUI - but empty, when you start.

In Customization Dialog, once loaded, the partial CUI will also exist beside
    the "default" Bricscad CUI in any customization Tab.
    Like on the right side all available Tools/Options, on the left side the default
    Tools, inside a Bricscad "default" Group/Folder
    and below will be your Partial Group/Folder.

There you will duplicate, create or modify things like Tool Palettes.
    E.g. a custom Tool Palette similar to a default Palette, but without any Tools
    you don't need but maybe other Tools you want to be there.

So when you created all things you need in your partial CUI file by saving
    the Customization Dialog and go back to your UI.
    When opening Toolboxes, you will now have access to both,
    Bricscad Toolboxes (Default.cui) and YourCustomTools (partial.cui) Toolboxes.

Like when you created a better version of the Manipulation Toolbox,
    you would close the Bricscad Manipulation Box and instead open your
    "Manipulation Box"

The default CUI has a risk of being overwritten by installations or updates,
    opposite to the Partial CUI file will stay.
    As so far you did with the Default CUI, you can transfer the partial CUI file
    to other machines or new versions of Bricscad and load it there.

There are some general risks in Bricscad's UI Customization.
    Like Tools saved in any kind of UI files may no more be available or replaced
    in future versions of Bricscad, or new options added that you will not see
    when overwriting by your "old" files.

Also I had issues when duplicating existing Palettes before customizing,
    using the same names and such issues. Forcing Palettes to open automatically
    or where they will dock may have been also risky.
    But maybe those were just issues with previous Mac Versions of Bricscad.

Also there is now the concept of the "Workspaces",
    but I don't really get how these will work together with partial CUIs or where
    they replace it ....

• Thanks Michael for that explanation - maybe this is explained so well elsewhere, but I certainly was baffled till now SR86448.
    Clearer than copying the default cui to a safe place,
    and either customising it there and making everything point to it there,
    or customising the default in its default place!
    (though that is what is recommended for BIM database files SR86445)
    So instead we leave the default cui unaltered, and allow it to be overwritten at version-update time.
    I wish I'd known that.

But then there's also lots of other kinds of User Info files which may need customising but aren't covered by this partial cui procedure SR86448.

As to yr last para - I use Workspaces bigtime but also don't understand how to set things up incl them, and CUIs, and Profiles ...

• As to yr last para - I use Workspaces bigtime but also don't understand how to set things up incl them, and CUIs, and Profiles ...

The difficulties with CUI's/workspaces keeps coming up with regularity. Myself I couldn't get my head around it, so thanks to someone on this forum they recommended using Profiles which works for me but I use a pretty simple setup.

• @Michael Mayer said:

I'm not going back to the default CUI until someone explains in detail how to use the partial for customizations.

they replace it ....

Michael,

Thank you for your explanation. Not sure I understand several things. So does a partial CUI contain user populated toolbars distinct from the standard toolbars (loaded by default.cui), or does it contain customizations of the standard toolbars? I don't have room on my screen for more toolbars. Also, if a partial CUI saves customizations of the standard toolbars and menus, can I save my current (main) CUI as a partial CUI, and apply it to new versions of the program? Or will that make duplications of toolbars and buttons?

Question I need answered.....I work with 2D drafting, 3D modeling, mechanical and sheet metal workspaces. The toolbars I have activated for each of these workspaces are different. Is that saved in the customization, or the user profile?

• I don't have room on my screen for more toolbars.

That is why I use a partial CUI.
    I create some some Panels similar to the existing Bricscad Panels,
    but just the Tools I really need, without the extra stuff.
    So I close Bricscads View Panel and activate mine instead.
    That avoids screen waste.

The toolbars I have activated for each of these workspaces are different. Is that saved in the customization, or the user profile?

That is where my knowledge and experience ends ..
    I think,
    which Toolbars are active and which hidden is normally saved in your Workspace.
    But as far as I know you can force Toolbars in Customization Dialog to automatically
    open. But maybe that is overwritten when you manually close such Panels any way (?)

Far too complicated for me.
    Other Apps offer a Tabbed UI for me (like Modo or Blender)
    Where each Tab for a specific Workflow holds the collection of Tools needed.
    Or save just my customization of the Default UI, without offering both beside
    each other

• @Michael Mayer said:

I'm not going back to the default CUI until someone explains in detail how to use the partial for customizations.

they replace it ....

Michael,

Thank you for your explanation. Not sure I understand several things. So does a partial CUI contain user populated toolbars distinct from the standard toolbars (loaded by default.cui), or does it contain customizations of the standard toolbars? I don't have room on my screen for more toolbars. Also, if a partial CUI saves customizations of the standard toolbars and menus, can I save my current (main) CUI as a partial CUI, and apply it to new versions of the program? Or will that make duplications of toolbars and buttons?

Question I need answered.....I work with 2D drafting, 3D modeling, mechanical and sheet metal workspaces. The toolbars I have activated for each of these workspaces are different. Is that saved in the customization, or the user profile?

• When you start with your attached partial UI it is empty.
    Theoretically you could copy over all things the default CUI offers
    in Customization and start modifying these.
    (Or duplicate the whole default CUI file ?)

As I said I had problems with duplicating Palettes in the past on Mac,
    that may have been fixed already. But I'm still not confident to do so,
    so I personally do them usually from scratch.

You should look at Ralph Grabowsky's eBooks.
    There is also an option to use your Partial UI as the Default UI and
    the Default as Partial UI. Forgot what the advantages were.

I am the wrong spokesperson for what is possible or what may forbidden
    or risky as the whole system is too complicated for me.
    When I started with Bricscad I had to delete my whole Config and edited
    Default CUI and start from scratch every 2 weeks for over a year.
    So far I just use the minimal part of options that I really need and where
    I did not experience lots of issues.

• @Michael Mayer said:

Michael,
    Thanks for your comments. I typically have 14 - 16 toolbars on screen regardless of workspace. Although I'm not using all the buttons all of the time, I probably use 80% of them in a work week. Easy when you're churning out anywhere from 10 to 30 drawings a week of all different types. I like the way the standard toolbars group like tools. Not sure I want to setup my own separate toolbars or menu defined by a partial CUI

I think it would have been nice, if the app was designed so that the partial CUI could modify the toolbars loaded by default.CUI that is loaded with each installation. But there is probably a reason why that is not practical.

• You can do so,
    it is just the risk of being overwritten, when you update
    before you back upped .... which happened for me
    a few times.

• @Michael Mayer said:

they replace it ....

Michael,

So sorry.... I've been away from the forum for quite some time (health problems). I didn't notice the reply I wrote (more questions) did not post. That happens from time to time. I finally logged on today (from home), and here was my draft! At any rate, I am not at work today, and don't have an installation on my home machine. So I can't try any of this stuff until I return from work.

Reply that did not post properly: