3D Modeling

There are a lot of 3D Modeling commands in Shape which are not explained in the Tutorials. Are the tutorials for these found in the BricsCAD or BricsCAD BIM tutorials?

Comments

• What commands, can you give an example

• I'm also interested in which commands you are interested.

But generally the answer is yes.
    I am pretty happy with the new Online Help System when
    I earch information to specific commands in Bricscad.

And of course I enjoy the short tutorial videos for Shape and
    Bricscad.

• @Steven_g said:
    What commands, can you give an example

Model > 3D Solids > Revolve / Sweep / Slice / Interfere and most from 3D Solid Editing.
    I'm coming from a Revit BIM Manager experience so seeing these was interesting.

• Yes there are some nice Videos on Bricscad YouTube.
    Showing far more functionality then I expected.
    Little complicated to use, for me, though.

• These tutorials are hurting the chances of BricsCAD Shape's success. I've been in the CAD/BIM for almost 40 years, have review over 300 CAD systems and these leave a lot of information out. I've been going through the "10 Minutes Webinar" and simply cannot get some of the steps to work.

• @daveedwards
    Wow, 300 different CAD systems! I would not wish that on my worst enemy. But, joking aside, if you are serious about learning Shape try to give more information. Provide a link to the video and specify at which point(s) you are unable to follow the tutorial.

• Could be something like BIMDRAG,
    which recently changed a lot with Shap V19,
    when watching a v18 Tutorial ?

• I've had a very long CAD Career and I used to do a lot of reviews for magazines. The problem is that there are commands used in the 10 Minute not shown in other videos and they go by much too quickly. This is early on in the video. This one:

I finally figured out how he create 4 unique Walls, but the Separate command goes by so fast, you can barely see it. My issue is with creating the Polyline using the Outside edges of these Walls to create a new shape to be extruded for the End Walls. I have reviewed this numerous times and I can't tell what command (or series) is used to create that Polyline.
    Soapbox: As a longtime SketchUp and Revit user, I'm always on the lookout for alternatives to recommend to clients. Shape appears to be a Solids take on a simple modeler. However, tutorials with "Shape" in the name are lacking and not very indepth for some of the more "3D" commands. Walls, with Extrude and Drag are pretty good, but I'm lacking of the philosophy behind some of the commands. I'd be glad to offer any help I can "up the food chain".

• I think that is Hover to Select + n times pressing TAB to cycle through
    Selection possibilities until it finds the "Boundary" around all Walls.
    Then Extrude ....

• @Michael Mayer said:
    Could be something like BIMDRAG,
    which recently changed a lot with Shap V19,
    when watching a v18 Tutorial ?

I don't have v19 - I'm guess that's part of a beta. I've put the cursor over the far edge of that vertical wall and hit Tab several times - Never get a boundary option.

• OK, I also don't get the Boundary that way ...

Without any CTRL it will jump between Faces or Solid only,
    With CTRL I would get at least an Edge.
    But When I try to TAB with CTRL, it will switch between open files
    in Bricscad Windows,
    or CMD+TAB switches between my Apps on Mac (Shape v18)

• @Michael Mayer said:
    OK, I also don't get the Boundary that way...

And thus my confusion... in the back of my mind I'm wondering how many other people have just given up.
    Can "The Powers That Be" shed any light on this???

• Michael Mayer
    edited February 2019

In Bricscad v19 I'm even not able to "split" that hollow thing at all ....
    Also when not split, no chance to get that Side's outer Boundary
    in any way ....

EDIT
    Sorry, not "Split" - "Slice" works ....

• @Michael Mayer said:
    In Bricscad v19 I'm even not able to "split" that hollow thing at all ....
    Also when not split, no chance to get that Side's outer Boundary
    in any way ....

That took a while to figure out and it that's gone in v19 then there needs to be an updated Tutorial. Every release Lumion puts out the same set of tutorials for existing commands and also new commands.

BTW - where does one find the latest version of Shape?

• daveedwards
    edited February 2019

BTW - a just drew a Pline and went on. After I see v19, I'll upload my list of first impressions and suggestions.

• I think he was just cheating ...

When he first "Offset" the Side Face for Wall Thicknesses,
    he secretly made a second Copy from the resulting Boundary,
    outwards again, which is the invisibly Polyline that can be
    selected later for the finaly Side Wall Extrusion.

Shenanigans ....

• I don't mind fancy workarounds and I don't mind Speed Builds (which this clearly is). But how about a follow up Explainer video.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited February 2019

If you look very (very) carefully you will see that when the model is still a single solid (T=0:40) not one but two polylines are created. The first is created with a 200mm offset toward the inside, the second is created by offsetting the first polyline 200mm toward the outside. The second therefore matches the profile of the building and is later used to create the end cap (T=1:00). Switching to HD and reducing the speed of the video helps. In HD you can read the top row of the Quad and when the end cap is created it shows that a polyline was selected for this operation.
    Obviously some planning went into the workflow, and the operator should have explained better, I had to restart the video several times to discover this.

EDIT: I see that Michael already made the same discovery as I was writing.

• I had to restart the video several times to discover this.

I thought I was getting old. Thanks - that makes more sense now. I was really trying hard to see all the steps. Makes perfect sense that the operator would create the polyline prior to Separate(ing) the Walls.

• daveedwards
    edited February 2019

I see that the function of Drag in v19 seems to be different and that BIM Copy is now the tool to use. But the Ctrl Options for BIM Copy don't appear until after the first copy is placed. (I guess I need to send this support).

• I found previous BIMDRAG, together with PushPull, Move and Copy
    always a bit redundant.
    Now, that BIMDRAG is only the manipulation Tool - which cares about
    BIM Connections - I think it it works much better.

• Now, that BIMDRAG is only the manipulation Tool

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I can put on "Previous Favorite Application Lenses".
    There's also a lot of times Ctrl options are being used without being stated.
    I'm sure glad Bricsys is paying us for all this testing

• @Michael Mayer said:
    I found previous BIMDRAG, together with PushPull, Move and Copy
    always a bit redundant.
    Now, that BIMDRAG is only the manipulation Tool - which cares about
    BIM Connections - I think it it works much better.

I found several places where he cheats - at 4:51 he's using the Manipulator but instead of selecting the Midpoint of another object, like he did previously, he keys in a value.

• Per Gogstad
    edited February 2019

I made this document based on the latest (and a few older) YouTube videos. Even if the videos are made for BricsCAD V19 BIM, some of them will also apply to V19 Shape. I expect we should see the Shape tutorials to be updated in the time to come.

• Per Gogstad
    edited February 2019

With Revit in the background, the full BricsCAD BIM capabilities should be evaluated. Shape is more like SketchUp, but it is also a 'stripped down' version of BricsCAD BIM.

Here is a video that belongs to a BricsCAD V19 BIM demo script. I have made the script description into a subtext to better see what is going on in the video. The attached script will give more details on the process. The modelling tools used in the first part of the video are also found in Shape, while the advanced tools like BIMIFY, PROPAGATE etc only are available in the full BricsCAD BIM. When you get used to the modelling tools and processes in BricsCAD Shape, you will find the same interface and tools when you move to BricsCAD BIM.

https://youtu.be/0_4WpmduNes

• I already found and watched the Videos on YouTube days ago.
    Always a good place to look from time to time for some motivation
    and keeping up to date.
    (Bricscad Blog too)

And thanks for the new Video !

• @Per Gogstad said:
    With Revit in the background, the full BricsCAD BIM capabilities should be evaluated. Shape is more like SketchUp, but it is also a 'stripped down' version of BricsCAD BIM.

Thanks - I am evaluating just Shape as a replacement to SketchUp. There's a lot of movement in the SketchUp community considering the 2019 with its lack of new features and going to a subscription model. For most of my clients they have ZERO option for BIM but Revit - unfortunately. Government, client and consulting engineers requirements. I know that the ODA have release the RVT API and hopefully we'll see some movement on that front.

• When it comes to the BIM part, the best model exchange option is to use IFC. The standard is improving all the time and is one of the open standards you want to use to ensure future interoperability between different applications, and make sure you don't get trapped with a specific vendor or a proprietary file format. Most major applications today have IFC support and BricsCAD BIM has both IFC import and export. In V19, you can also import selected (more to come) versions of Revit Families (.RFA) files.

• @Per Gogstad said:
    When it comes to the BIM part, the best model exchange option is to use IFC.

I hear this all the time, but doesn't work with Revit clients. They simply do not get the information they need in the resulting file. Also many contracts are now written with an RVT deliverable requirement. They get around the problems with this by stating you can use any software you want to create the RVT, but currently there is only one. Engineers want Revit files with all the data - Rooms and Materials. Revit's IFC import doesn't give them that. In many of the USACoE contracts, Revit is specified by name.