Set as current layer command

Does anyone know a command that allows you to click on a layer that is already used in a drawing which in turn sets the current layer to the selected layer.  I know there is a move to current layer command.  It's just extremely slow to pull down and select a new layer every time you need to change layers.  Any help would be appreciated.  I used to use a LISP in autocad to do this.  

Comments

• Try   ai_molc
  •  The LayMCur (Layer Make Current) command prompts to select an entity to set the current layer. A toolbutton on the Entity Properties toolbar (next to the Layer control) launches the command.
  •  Thank you gent!  Martin that command is exactly what I was after!!  Thank you so much.  No wonder I couldn't find it.  What's it short for out of curiosity?
  • "AI" commands are from the R12-R14 days of Autocad and, as I recall, were library functions in the Bonus tools.  I think AI is for AutocadInterface.  MOLC is MakeObjectLayerCurrent. 
  • Why doesn't LayMCur work with PICKFIRST=1 for ON?

It is nearly always the case that I have already selected some entity and decide to make its layer the current layer, either because I'm in the middle of working or simply because by selecting it first I can verify it's on the desired layer. But when I invoke LayMCur (whether from toolbar or command line), it discards my selection, and I have to re-select the entity of interest.

Thank you for teaching me about AI_MOLC. I hadn't known that command and just discovered it has the advantage of respecting PICKFIRST (so long as only one entity is selected). I would like to add it to a toolbar, however, I cannot find AI_MOLC in the Available tools list under Customize.

• LAYMCUR does work with PICKFIRST on, but it doesn't accept a preselection because a selection set can include objects on different layers.

• Fair enough. What I should have written was, Why can't I "pick first" with LayMCur?

I can "pick first" with AI_MOLC, as I noted, so long as my preselection set contains only one element.

I understand why both commands discard preselection sets of multiple objects on different layers [although I would think multiple objects all on the same layer should be allowed, too, but those preselections get discarded even with AI_MOLC]. But I don't understand why LayMCur can't do what AI_MOLC can do, or how to add AI_MOLC to a custom toolbar.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited February 2019

..... how to add AI_MOLC to a custom toolbar.

1. Enter CUSTOMIZE, or pull down Tools > Customize.
    2. Select the Toolbars tab.
    3. In the left panel, right-click on a toolbar and select Append Tool, or right-click on a tool and select Insert Tool.
    4. Select Create new tool.
    5. Type AI_MOLC in the Title box and the Command box.
    6. Select an image using the pop-up window.
    7. Click OK and OK.
  • That works! And helpful to know "Append Tool" for other unlisted commands. Thank you.

• "Append tool" or "Insert tool" just opens the Add Tool window.
    It's the "Create new tool" option that allows you to use unlisted commands.
    If you accept the default option of "Select available tool" you have to choose from the available tools in the box below (and in the right panel of the main Customize window).
    With "Create new tool" you can put anything in the Command box that would work if you typed it on the command line.