Architectural Plans - Which BRICSYS software to buy ?

To all,

I may have posted a similar question here a long time ago & certainly before SHAPE arrived on the scene. I'm not a BRICSCAD user, but may consider this software, however I would like to find out from other Architectural CADDERS, which BRICSYS software is best to purchase, BRICSCAD or BRICSCAD-BIM ? or a combination of both & no forgetting BRICSCAD-SHAPE.

I’ve mainly been a 2D flat CADDER, as the software I currently use is great & fast to use for this type of work, but not good or quick enough for me with the 3D side of the product, for this I use SKETCHUP. They both work together quite well, sometimes I use SU more than my CAD software & vice-versa, but I always start with my CAD software.

I’m self-employed & work in the UK, the projects I undertake are all domestic based, i.e. extensions, conversion & alterations mainly, with about two or three new build dwellings once a year.
In an ideal world, it would be good to draw everything in 3D & extract all the necessary plans, elevations & sections etc from the model. However, I still find a need to plot existing building survey plans as existing in 2D from the very start of a project as a proper set of existing plans to conceive the proposals.

I guess what I’m really asking, can BRICSCAD & BRICSCAD-SHAPE work in a similar workflow as I’ve been doing with 2D CAD & SU ? or if in fact is BRICSCAD-BIM the one solution to my requirements ?

I don’t really require BIM per-se, just a really good 3D architecturally biased software that I can produce planning design plans & then construction building regulation plans.

Any pointers or movie tutorial links would be greatly appreciated.

Over & out,
CJT1963

Comments

• Hi

Here you can find a blog post about the BricsCAD BIM vision and workflow: https://blog.bricsys.com/why-use-bim/
    BIM tutorials: https://www.bricsys.com/en-eu/bim/tutorial/
    Shape in 10mins:

BricsCAD BIM = BricsCAD Platinum + BIM module, so you have all 2D/3D BricsCDAD features plus the power of BIM.
    So you can always work in the classical way (pure 2D) or go for 3D/BIM with the same software/format/user interface...

Hope this helps a little?

Mathieu

• 2D should be no problem, Bricscad offers the same 2D Toolset
    as ACAD and people there are doing mostly 2D plans since decades.
    Although, if I had to do 2D drafting, I personally would prefer one of
    the more graphical oriented solutions without any ACAD behavior.

It depends on how you used SketchUp.
    Plain free version or Pro or even some of the capable Plugins for
    architectural use.
    3D Direct Modeling in Bricscad is nearly as elegant as in Sketchup
    but you'll get useful Solid Geometry instead of a bunch of faces or
    meshes.
    For Architectural Modeling in current state Bricscad feels more
    tedious and slower versus parametrical BIM solutions but you
    are totally free in design and details and don't run into limits.
    Especially for smaller projects that flexibility may be better suited.
    Generating plans isn't there yet, like in many other BIM Apps and
    needs 2D rework.
    But I think I could already do in Bricscad everything what I do in my
    other BIM App, just not yet as fast and comfortable.

I think the Platinum+BIM version is a must as it contains lots of tools
    that help for general data and geometry organization.

Beside the fair price Bricscad develops fast and in an fascinating
    modern direction and they listen to customer problems.

So for you,
    I would start by watching all Tutorial and Feature Videos to get an
    overview. Then load the Trial and play with how it works and feels.
    Finally try to recreate one of your typical projects.

• Thanks to all so far on this.

Along the way of decision taking in considering buying CAD software for an architectural CADDER, we need to recognise certain things. If 3D modelling is available, are there any parametrics available to make life easier to model things like: walls, doors, windows, stair & roofs etc; or do these items have to be modelled longhand. Once you have the model complete, what is the extraction process in producing a set of 2D plans from the model. BIM seems to cloud these basic steps, but is another recognised layer stitched into this process.

Therefore, it would help BRICSCAD potential architectural users to see what processes are available as I’ve simply described above & the limitations from which product i.e. BRICSCAD-PREMIUM on its own with or without shape & with BRICSCAD-PREMIUM+BIM. Although reading between the lines, BRICSCAD-PREMIUM is only 'longhand 3D'. So some good movie tutorials are still needed I feel to bring clarity to this market audience on model extraction for 2D plans, elevations & sections & then adding all the required notes, dimensions etc.

If there are movie tutorials available to see on this that I've missed, please can a link be provided.

• are there any parametrics available to make life easier to model things like: walls, doors, windows, stair & roofs etc; or do these items have to be modelled longhand.

Windows/Doors, kind of, yes.
    (You could build your own "parametric" objects as much as you like
    with the use of constraints)
    But generally the approach is non parametric and based of Direct Modeling
    with simple Solids.
    For Walls you will apply a multi-ply Composition. But to get the desired result
    in your 2D drawings this means often a lot of manually "sub-object" modeling
    and the hope that BIMGUESS is able to find similar situations and adapts them
    accordingly by artificial intelligence.
    A Roof will be made the same way as a Slab or Polysolid and finally applying
    a Composition.
    So there are no typical "Plugin Objects" for things like Stairs until now.
    Instead there are parametric Array Tools that allow similar.
    (Currently I don't know to do so though)

If there are movie tutorials available to see on this that I've missed, please can a link be provided.

There are very nice Tutorials so far that show all functions of Direct 3D Modelling
    (Shape getting started) and BIM workflows (Bricscad V18 Videos)

What I also miss is the generated 2D drawing workflow in Bricscad videos.
    I think Bricscad assumes that is Basic Knowledge that every ACAD user already
    has. (I am not and never have been an ACAD user)
    And as I rarely need 2D output in my workflow so am pretty unexperienced
    with it in all my Apps, but still also very interested in !

The best form of medium to learn such workflows for me are "Webinars".
    (Not because its form of a fixed time and option to participate)
    This is where a whole workflow is explained based on a real project and important
    are explanations about how AND why this way and not another way.

And on the BC blog you can already find BC's first "webinar" video.
    (Direct Modeling and BIM only unfortunately)

Once understood by webinars, for refreshing at the time when such function
    needed, I prefer the current Direct Modeling Video's Style of dealing with just
    one Tool at a time.
    Would be nice if these gorgeous videos will be growing to cover all Tools
    in that way in the future.

• Once you have the model complete, what is the extraction process in producing a set of 2D plans from the model.

The only info I found so far was this :
    https://blog.bricsys.com/category/tutorials/printing-plotting/

• @Mathieu said:
    Hi

Here you can find a blog post about the BricsCAD BIM vision and workflow: https://blog.bricsys.com/why-use-bim/
    BIM tutorials: https://www.bricsys.com/en-eu/bim/tutorial/
    Shape in 10mins:

BricsCAD BIM = BricsCAD Platinum + BIM module, so you have all 2D/3D BricsCDAD features plus the power of BIM.
    So you can always work in the classical way (pure 2D) or go for 3D/BIM with the same software/format/user interface...

Hope this helps a little?

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu & all,

Just toching base on this again & from what I now undertand for Version-19, BricsCAD BIM has BricsCAD Platinum built within ? I can see a compare Bricsys product page on their website with AutoCAD, (but not Bricsys BIM ?) but couldn't find a compare feature list of all Bricsys products side by side ! is there such a list ?

Over & out,
    CJT1963

• @Michael Mayer said:

Once you have the model complete, what is the extraction process in producing a set of 2D plans from the model.

The only info I found so far was this :
    https://blog.bricsys.com/category/tutorials/printing-plotting/

Hi Mike & all,

Returning back to the Bricsys forum again & just wondered if there has been any new tutorials showing the extraction process from the 3D model for producing a set of 2D plans ?

Over & out,
    CJT1963