Block to component

Ian Johnson
edited March 2019 in 3D Modeling

I have a frame made up of multiple similar solids.
I run the blockify command and the same solid geometries get changed to blocks with names as expected.
For example, there are 7 blocks named "Block 7" and 16 blocks named "Block 3" etc.
What I am trying to do is now rename one "Block 7" to a name of "1803-10A-007", convert it to a local component and have all instances of "Block 7" replaced by the component "1803-10A-007" (and do this for all blocks in the model).
This will enable the components show in the Mechanical Browser as they dont currently show when they are 'normal' blocks.
Any tips or links to previous discussions?
thx

Comments

• Invoke BMUNMECH, then BMMECH and answer yes to the prompt that asks you if you want to turn blocks into components.

If the naming of the components is not to your liking, you can rename them in the mechanical browser (in the attached file, I renamed 'block 7' to '007', as you requested).

However, turning blocks into components (anonymous blocks derived from a hidden definition) would only make sense to me if the blocks were parametrized in the process, but to my knowledge this is neither possible right now, nor is it always wanted. I would prefer to have an option to register 'ordinary' blocks and xrefs at will in the mechanical browser (via commands and an API). I think this could open a path to unified mechanical and architectural modeling, which to me looks like a perfect fit for Bricsys' 'do everything in dwg' strategy, but I seem to be quite alone on that...

• Ian Johnson
    edited March 2019

Hello Knut,

thank you for your reply and solution.

I was not aware of the 2 commands of BMUNMECH and BMMECH. That is exactly what I was looking for and works well.

That now highlights an annoying problem. Bricscad V18 Platinum allowed me to produce a BOM and V19 Platinum doesnt.

Why do they do this?

• I think this could open a path to unified mechanical and architectural modeling, which to me looks like a perfect fit for Bricsys' 'do everything in dwg' strategy, but I seem to be quite alone on that...

You're not alone. I reported a request to the development team to change the name of the "Mechanical browser". There is nothing mechanical in that and I guess "Components browser" would be a better name. Suitable for generic, mechanical and architectural design.

• @ Ian Johnson
    You are right, BMBOM has been moved from Platinum to BricsCAD Mechanical. There has been some rant about this
    (https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/comment/38778/#Comment_38778), but I have not heard a comment from Bricsys' side so far.
    I consider this a very poor decision, for two reasons:
    1.) It can be seen as a deliberate functional downgrade to force users to buy a more expensive license.
    2.) Bills of material are not linked to mechanical modeling exclusively, but are useful for a variety of applications.
    Maybe this has to be attributed to the acquisition of Bricsys by Hexagon...

@ Daniele Piazza
    I completely agree, the mechanical browser is a generic tool that is neither linked to MCAD, nor superseded by the structural browser.
    'Component Browser' would definitely be a more suitable name, but I am less concerned about the naming, more about the possibility that it might be moved from platinum to mechanical, just like BMBOM. I think that opening the tool via an API, together with extending the API for Components (currently you have BmLispGet to query things, but there is no corresponding BmLispSet to alter them) would make BricsCAD an even more attractive platform for advanced users and third party developers.

• Gentlemen,

We have read the post and would like to comment on API. It is considered that BmLispGet API is sufficient, the idea if one wants to create smth related to the component, he could use BM* command and then check ERRNO .

If you see some scenario where BmLispSet is needed and can't be avoided, please open SR.

Best regards,
    Egor

• Thanks for listening. I will do as you suggested as soon as time permits...