Getting started with Mechanical in the Platinum edition

When my company upgraded to v14, we also jumped onto the Platinum edition, so that I could make use of its Mechanical 3D design ability.  However, I have not found a "getting started" or tutorial for this aspect of the program.

One thing that I amm curious about, is what is the structure of the objects.  If I insert an I-Beam, I note that it is a block, without any attributes.  If I explode the block, then it is an ACIS solid.  So, I am curious how it builds a BOM.  Does it maintain some sort of internal database where it notes the details of each block?

Once something like an I-beam is inserted, can I change its length?  I know I can explode the block and edit the ACIS solid, but I imagine that messes up the BOM.

Any further suggestions about learning more about the mechanical features?

-Joe

Comments

• I seem to be coming across some problems with Mechanical, both in hopes that others will point out how to overcome them, and so future users will know what sort of behavior to expect.

First, a little background about fasteners.  Since in the U.S. we typically use fractional sized fasteners, we typically refer to a 5/16" bolt by fractions, of course, rather than 0.5625.  And sizes below 1/4" are referred by a gauge number.  But, when choosing a fastener in Mechanical, the choices are only shown in decimal.  Most people don't know what the decimal equivalent of a #4 screw is, so it gets painful to start having to look everything up.  But, this problem propagates when generating a BOM from mechanical, as all sizes are decimal.

The next issue with the BOM, is that you don't know what each line refers to.  In other words, if you select a bolt on the model, you don't have any way to see its size, or know which line of the BOM lists it.

Since I am fairly new to using the Mechanical features (or rather, I have made several attempts to use it in the past, but had difficulty figuring it out), it is also quite likely that I am just not aware of the features I need to make the above things work. But, I don't know where to go to learn more.

-Joe
  • Joe,

I guess, since I am also a machinist, and use threads every day, that the OD of a particular thread (4-40, 5-40, 6-32, etc.)  is something I remember easily.  But the tables should be corrected.  

Be careful also if you use the built in fasteners in your drawings.  The root or minor diameter of the threads is not even close to being correct.   I already submitted a support request about this, and they said they would correct it eventually.  
  • Have these fasteners been corrected in 2018(+)?